Rodon pick big for the Sox?

harfman77

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
Could the Rodon pick be the tool that is used to fix the rift between Boras and the Sox organization? It so it would have big implications down the road in free agency and re-signing Viciedo as he becomes arb eligible after this season.

Are we at the point as an organization that resigning Viciedo is a serious concern?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
Doesn't Hahn supposedly have a hood relationship with Boras?

This post will probably be edited to "good" from "hood" but I immediate picture Hahn and Boras wearing wife beaters and bandanas throwing up gang signs.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 11:56 AM)
Could the Rodon pick be the tool that is used to fix the rift between Boras and the Sox organization? It so it would have big implications down the road in free agency and re-signing Viciedo as he becomes arb eligible after this season.

I'm pretty sure that rift only exists on Soxtalk

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
I'm pretty sure that rift only exists on Soxtalk

KW was pretty open about not wanting to deal with him. Pretty sure it was over the Arod negotiations

Considering the value of this bonus will be about half of what it took to sign Jeff Keppinger, I don't think it means much to the "relationship" either way, unless Rodon winds up not signing. What they are going to be arguing about now with the new rules is total chump change.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
Considering the value of this bonus will be about half of what it took to sign Jeff Keppinger, I don't think it means much to the "relationship" either way, unless Rodon winds up not signing. What they are going to be arguing about now with the new rules is total chump change.

That is an incredibly simplistic view of what is going to go on, especially because we could be talking about losing draft picks both this year and next year, if they were to ignore the caps.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)

Yeah, with Rodon going 3rd, I'd say the odds of him signing are 99.99%. If he doesn't sign and goes back to school, he's risking ~$6 million for a potential gain of $2-3 mill, and with Aiken signing for $6.5 mill, it only puts more pressure on Rodon. If he's good, he'll earn much more than that over his career. If not, $6 million makes a hell of a good start to a portfolio and retirement account.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
That is an incredibly simplistic view of what is going to go on, especially because we could be talking about losing draft picks both this year and next year, if they were to ignore the caps.

I really don't understand the need for you to critique each of my posts,but maybe history will help. Last year, Kris Bryant wound up signing for slot. Appel wound up signing for 18% below slot. They both had Boras as an "advisor". Rodon will sign somewhere near slot. There may be a little dance to get there, but it makes zero sense for him not to sign unless he really doesn't want to play for the White Sox. The Sox aren't going to lose draft picks. And there is a 99% chance Rodon signs.

And it is simplistic, because with the new rules, it's pretty simple.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
I really don't understand the need for you to critique each of my posts,but maybe history will help. Last year, Kris Bryant wound up signing for slot. Appel wound up signing for 18% below slot. They both had Boras as an "advisor". Rodon will sign somewhere near slot. There may be a little dance to get there, but it makes zero sense for him not to sign unless he really doesn't want to play for the White Sox. The Sox aren't going to lose draft picks. And there is a 99% chance Rodon signs.

And it is simplistic, because with the new rules, it's pretty simple.

If he looks for the rumored $8 million bonus that was whispered before the draft, all of that flies out the window, and explains why neither Miami or Houston touched him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
If he looks for the rumored $8 million bonus that was whispered before the draft, all of that flies out the window, and explains why neither Miami or Houston touched him.

Link? The quote I saw was $6 million. Besides, he can't get $8 million and he knows it. And if he went back to college, even if he was drafted #1 next year, he wouldn't get it anyway.

Edited by Dick Allen

I just wonder what Rodon gains by waiting to sign? He signs now and there is a very good chance he gets a September call-up. He waits a month to sign and he delays free agency by a lot more than a month. How much over slot does he have to get to make it worth it?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Link? The quote I saw was $6 million.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2014-...-unprecedented/

The White Sox chose Rodon despite not having selected a Boras Corp. client with a premium pick since failing to sign Bobby Seay in 1996 and Jeff Weaver in the second round in 1997. Rodon was reported to be looking for an $8 million bonus, which would tie the record set in 2011 by UCLA righthander Gerrit Cole, now with the Pirates. White Sox general manager Rick Hahn declined comment on the negotiations.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)

I'd like someone to pay me $8 million, but it's not happening. Even if he didn't sign, went back to NC State and threw nothing but no hitters, striking out 2 an inning, his $8 million bonus ship has sailed. He will sign somewhere near slot. Like the Men's Warehouse guy, I guarantee it. Bryant wanted above slot last year, and wound up signing for slot.

Edited by Dick Allen

Great sign (grabbed from Draft Picks threaD)

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 2m

Source said #WhiteSox have agreed in principle to sign 2nd-rd pick, RHP Spencer Adams, at slot. Suggested slot is $1.282 mill.

edit: "Great sign" meaning this is a good sign that we need not worry about getting Rodon in the fold, obviously it is a nice "signing" as well.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
Great sign (grabbed from Draft Picks threaD)

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 2m

Source said #WhiteSox have agreed in principle to sign 2nd-rd pick, RHP Spencer Adams, at slot. Suggested slot is $1.282 mill.

Great news.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
If it is me, I put two offers on the table. $5 million and a chance to move up to Chicago if everything goes well this fall, or $6 million and the full tour of the minors, starting in High A ball this year.

Yes, there needs to be a little time to get pitching again. It's been a few weeks since he's pitched in a game.