Sox acquire Michael Taylor

flavum

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
De Aza was not Hahn, it was KW that brought him in.

De Aza was pretty close to awful most of last year, and Hahn gave him another contract this year and has kept him on the team even though he has no business in MLB. Not the biggest deal, I agree, but he is in the category of bad Hahn moves. Not as ridiculous as Paulino or Cleto or Boggs or as costly as Davidson/Reed, but Mr. Hahn is not yet qualified for Sainthood.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)
De Aza was pretty close to awful most of last year, and Hahn gave him another contract this year and has kept him on the team even though he has no business in MLB. Not the biggest deal, I agree, but he is in the category of bad Hahn moves. Not as ridiculous as Paulino or Cleto or Boggs or as costly as Davidson/Reed, but Mr. Hahn is not yet qualified for Sainthood.

Cleto, Boggs, Guerra, Putnam, Noesi, Carroll, etc., didn't cost us anything...so it's hard to get upset about any of those moves. They're just throwing darts at the wall and hoping some stick.

Putnam and Noesi have held their own. Without those two guys, we'd be 7-9 games under .500 right now.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 07:28 PM)

You really need to get over the loss of Reed, he's a reliever and not an elite one by any means.

I was never a huge Davidson fan, but I even I would never pass up on making that trade.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
I've always liked Taylor. Hopefully he earns a shot with the Sox. Sanchez is a small price to pay.

I still am absolutely love everything Rick Hahn has done.

*Shrugs* most have been lateral moves at best.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
Can't see how you wouldn't like this trade. He put up some good stats in MiLB but of course it's in the PCL. Anything towards his defense?

He is 28 years old and a career .135 hitter. Something will have to go wrong for him to play for the White Sox.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 08:52 PM)
*Shrugs* most have been lateral moves at best.

Yeah. I can see why bringing back Dylan Axelrod to pitch for Charlotte wouldn't piss someone off, but to absolutely love it, I think Hahn may need an order of protection. It appears he has a stalker.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
Your poor grammar aside, aren't you exaggerating just a bit?

You LOVE Paulina? Not like, not understand, but you LOVE the Paulina signing?

You LOVE Mitch Boggs? Not like, not understand, but you LOVE the Boggs signing?

You LOVE the Davidson trade?

You LOVE the Sierra signing?

You LOVE de Aza?

Boggs and Paulino together cost about $2.5 million, or $1.5 million more than two rookies would cost. Who gives a crap if guys like that fail. He tried them out, they failed, and then next man up. That is what is to love about Hahn.

As far as I'm concerned, this signing shouldn't make anybody mad. Who cares about minor league players? If this guy can somehow find himself and hit .320 in the minors the next month, the Sox give him a shot. I mean the outfield is a huge weakness for the Sox right now both offensively and defensively, though I like Eaton. Viciedo and Sierra are jokes and DeAza long ago jumped the shark. He's awful.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 09:49 PM)
Count me in on the Rick Hahn lovefest. Obviously Wite wasn't saying every single move was perfect. Considering all the failure and injuries in baseball he's going to miss a few but Hahn has done an absolutely wonderful. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a move that can be labeled bad other than the Keppinger signing.

Even though 75% your posts are good and logically sound, it's post like these that make people come at you all the time. Who gives a s*** who's filling out the roster in Charlotte? Do you really think Wite was thinking of Dylan Axelrod when he made his post?

He turned Peavy, Rios, Santiago, and Reed into nothing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 09:10 PM)
Yeah. I can see why bringing back Dylan Axelrod to pitch for Charlotte wouldn't piss someone off, but to absolutely love it, I think Hahn may need an order of protection. It appears he has a stalker.

People like Hahn because he talks a good game. His results have been ordinary so far.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
He's been pretty solid in the minors sans this year. Never really showed anything in the majors. Maybe he's a Steverson guy.

Jake Sanchez, who the Sox gave up, was an interesting prospect.

I can't understand giving any sort of real prospect for this guy.

I don't know what Sanchez is, but I assume he isn't a prospect.

Scrap heap's one thing, but you trade for scrap heap players.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 03:06 AM)
People like Hahn because he talks a good game. His results have been ordinary so far.

L. Garcia is a flop. He can't play big league baseball. Looks like Davidson may be a flop. Hahn will forever get a pass on A. Garcia if injuries prevent him from stardom. Some people on this board questioned his power even before the injury. I admit I liked Garcia.

The Abreu acquisition of course is huge. Keppinger was one of the worst signings ever. Downs acquisition was bad. And of course picking up Paulino and actually paying him guaranteed money was such a bad decision it's beyond belief. Getting Eaton looks like a nice pickup.

Hahn seems OK, but Marty is definitely entitled to that opinion IMO.

Let's see what he can get back for Beckham, Viciedo and DeAza. Those will be his next moves to be judged upon, though understandably DeAza may only bring a Class A stiff. Can he steal any good prospects for the other two guys?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 09:55 PM)
He turned Peavy, Rios, Santiago, and Reed into nothing.

Avi Garcia, Eaton, with Davidson, Montas, Rondon, and Wendelken in the minors? Davidson's struggled and Avi is injured, but they still have great potential.

This is you blowing smoke out your ass.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 01:02 AM)
In 81 PA.....across 3 seasons.....you CAN NOT be serious with that....

Totally serious. The guy is 28 years old. The only position players on the Sox he is younger than are Konerko, Dunn, DeAza , and Ramirez.

He isn't a prospect at this point. He is Dallas McPherson helping your AAA team win some games.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 12:53 AM)
Avi Garcia, Eaton, with Davidson, Montas, Rondon, and Wendelken in the minors? Davidson's struggled and Avi is injured, but they still have great potential.

This is you blowing smoke out your ass.

Adam Eaton isn't anything to get excited about and neither is Davidson or Wendelken. Montas is a High-A pitcher experiencing success for the first time this year. Like I said Hahn talks a good game.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)
Adam Eaton isn't anything to get excited about and neither is Davidson or Wendelken. Montas is a High-A pitcher experiencing success for the first time this year. Like I said Hahn talks a good game.

I think a bit more patience is required.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)

You're crazy if you cannot see the upside in all those deals besides the Rios deal. I would just like to know what moves you would of made with the likes of Peavy, Rios and Reed.

The deals Hahn made, I still would make today. Davidson will be fine, Montas and Wendelken have enjoyed some success.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
You're crazy if you cannot see the upside in all those deals besides the Rios deal. I would just like to know what moves you would of made with the likes of Peavy, Rios and Reed.

The deals Hahn made, I still would make today. Davidson will be fine, Montas and Wendelken have enjoyed some success.

Not enough to "love" what Hahn is doing. At best mixed results so far when he needed to use those pieces to start building the core.