Sox acquire Michael Taylor

flavum

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
Not enough to "love" what Hahn is doing. At best mixed results so far when he needed to use those pieces to start building the core.

Well this is why I always liked Kenny...the prospects route, while admittedly what was needed at the point in which Hahn took over, can be very frustrating. If good teams were offering up can't miss prospects, it would be a lot simpler to rebuild...problem is, they rarely do. Hahn is going to miss on some guys, but he's also going to hit on some guys that we didn't expect would pan out.

It's an exercise in patience and withholding judgement until you can see his plan take shape a bit more.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
I think a bit more patience is required.

Absolutely.

Eaton had an awful May, his June so far has been meh but he still has a .352 obp, and his March and April has been fine. He hyped himself up pretty high saying he was gonna have a .400 obp, but if he simply has that .350+ obp from here on out I'll be ok with that.

Avisail Garcia just turned 23 3 days ago and looks to have pretty good potential.

Davidson is a top 100 prospect. He obviously hasn't worked out thus far in hindsight but to get a guy who was viewed as highly as he was for a reliever is somewhat impressive.

Montas, though he was a bit shaky last night has been fantastic overall

Wendelken has looked good as well.

To say they got nothing is a little silly.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
Not enough to "love" what Hahn is doing. At best mixed results so far when he needed to use those pieces to start building the core.

Tell us then.

What GM in this or any lifetime, during a rebuild/retooling of an organization, has "hit" 50% or more of a success rate during his first 1-2 years on the job as the GM regarding every single transaction.

Not as an Asst. GM.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 10:08 PM)
I can't understand giving any sort of real prospect for this guy.

I don't know what Sanchez is, but I assume he isn't a prospect.

Scrap heap's one thing, but you trade for scrap heap players.

Sanchez was a little interesting because just last year he was pitching in the independent leagues, Sox signed him and hes been successful so far.

Now as he rises in the minors it's very possible he shows why he was never drafted.

Taylor, while yes a little older, still probably has some potential. A's OF has been pretty crowed the last few years so he was never able to find consistent ABs.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 10:55 AM)
Absolutely.

Eaton had an awful May, his June so far has been meh but he still has a .352 obp, and his March and April has been fine. He hyped himself up pretty high saying he was gonna have a .400 obp, but if he simply has that .350+ obp from here on out I'll be ok with that.

Avisail Garcia just turned 23 3 days ago and looks to have pretty good potential.

Davidson is a top 100 prospect. He obviously hasn't worked out thus far in hindsight but to get a guy who was viewed as highly as he was for a reliever is somewhat impressive.

Montas, though he was a bit shaky last night has been fantastic overall

Wendelken has looked good as well.

Perfectly said. "Retooling" or "rebuilding" takes some time. There already have been ups and downs this season, but you can see the improvement in the young players, and in the minor leagues after a rough start, they are coming around too (individuals not teams).

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
What does that matter, we're judging Rick Hahn.

Because at the time, they were the best trades available. If Davidson hadn't been struggling, would you still of hated the the Reed trade? You make that trade 10 times out of 10 to get a potential franchise third baseman for an above average closer but replaceable (and I'm a huge Reed fan)

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 11:55 AM)
Absolutely.

I have a problem with the Reed trade. He was not just a reliever, he was a closer. At this point, we have tried 4-5 relievers and have yet to find a ML quality closer. Now maybe Belisario will be that closer. If not maybe Jones. But luckily this year doesn't matter but we better find a real closer by next year. Because Reed on a lousy team has more saves than our entire bullpen. Meanwhile Davidson is over his head in AAA and is a below average fielder at 3B. daidson is still young but so is Reed.

I have no problem w Peavy and Rios trades as they freed up serious payroll. Reed made literally nothing at $550,000 , they signed big buck relievers in Downs and Belisario ( 6.7Mil) and we still are not sure if we have a Reed replacement

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 07:29 AM)
Totally serious. The guy is 28 years old. The only position players on the Sox he is younger than are Konerko, Dunn, DeAza , and Ramirez.

He isn't a prospect at this point. He is Dallas McPherson helping your AAA team win some games.

I'm not saying he is a prospect, or even good, but you can't cite 81 AB across 3 different years as an example of his skill. A better sample size is his career .289 average during 9 minor league seasons. That's infinitely more valuable to know.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
I'm not saying he is a prospect, or even good, but you can't cite 81 AB across 3 different years as an example of his skill. A better sample size is his career .289 average during 9 minor league seasons. That's infinitely more valuable to know.

I completely disagree. 81 MLB AB's at the age of 28 is more telling than any minor league stat.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 11:20 AM)
Because at the time, they were the best trades available. If Davidson hadn't been struggling, would you still of hated the the Reed trade? You make that trade 10 times out of 10 to get a potential franchise third baseman for an above average closer but replaceable (and I'm a huge Reed fan)

As judged by Rick Hahn.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)

No because what he does in AAA means squat. He isn't a prospect. I have had zero AB in the major leagues, maybe I am a decent prospect. He is 28, go ask Hahn, he didn't acquire him for the White Sox. He acquired him for Charlotte.

Bring back Joe Borchard. If you or anyone are holding out hope this guy will turn into a decent major leaguer, you are going to be very disappointed, but he should be good for the Knights.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
I have a problem with the Reed trade. He was not just a reliever, he was a closer. At this point, we have tried 4-5 relievers and have yet to find a ML quality closer. Now maybe Belisario will be that closer. If not maybe Jones. But luckily this year doesn't matter but we better find a real closer by next year. Because Reed on a lousy team has more saves than our entire bullpen. Meanwhile Davidson is over his head in AAA and is a below average fielder at 3B. daidson is still young but so is Reed.

I have no problem w Peavy and Rios trades as they freed up serious payroll. Reed made literally nothing at $550,000 , they signed big buck relievers in Downs and Belisario ( 6.7Mil) and we still are not sure if we have a Reed replacement

Meh, this is a team coming off a 99 loses and going into a rebuilding year, you don't really need a top notch closer when you're not expected to win.

Reed was gonna be on his way to making "big bucks" so you trade him while he's still cheap.

Hahn seemingly had a plan for the bullpen as well, that plan was loading up on guys who didn't give up the long ball. Reed doesn't fit that plan. He's given up 8 HRs in 29 innings, only John Danks has given up more HRs on this team with 9 in 82. The bullpen as a whole has given up 12 HRs, and that includes 2 by Frank Francisco who wasn't originally "part of the plan".

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
I completely disagree. 81 MLB AB's at the age of 28 is more telling than any minor league stat.

Just read this article that disagrees.... http://www.athleticsnation.com/2013/8/28/4...-michael-taylor

It's comparing Josh Donaldson and Taylor. Donaldson was just as bad through his first 134 ABs and now he's a budding star.

Dude might just need consistent ABs.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
Just read this article that disagrees.... http://www.athleticsnation.com/2013/8/28/4...-michael-taylor

It's comparing Josh Donaldson and Taylor. Donaldson was just as bad through his first 134 ABs and now he's a budding star.

Dude might just need consistent ABs.

He is getting consistent ABs and hitting .243 in the PCL as a 28 year old. Comparing him to Donaldson is wrong.

There is a reason a once top 25 prospect has only 81 career ABs.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 10:55 AM)
Well this is why I always liked Kenny...the prospects route, while admittedly what was needed at the point in which Hahn took over, can be very frustrating. If good teams were offering up can't miss prospects, it would be a lot simpler to rebuild...problem is, they rarely do. Hahn is going to miss on some guys, but he's also going to hit on some guys that we didn't expect would pan out.

It's an exercise in patience and withholding judgement until you can see his plan take shape a bit more.

Kenny went the prospect route: traded TCQ for a single pitching prospect who was awful; traded Santos for a single pitching prospect who was awful; the prospect for EJ was a single pitching prospect who was awful. Note that all 3 single pitching prospects were "near ML ready" but actually had hit a peak and had already started to decline.

Hahn has a lot of work to do over the next 6 weeks. No more flawed declining AAA prospects. Take the As and AAs with promise and develop them.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
Kenny went the prospect route: traded TCQ for a single pitching prospect who was awful; traded Santos for a single pitching prospect who was awful; the prospect for EJ was a single pitching prospect who was awful. Note that all 3 single pitching prospects were "near ML ready" but actually had hit a peak and had already started to decline.

Hahn has a lot of work to do over the next 6 weeks. No more flawed declining AAA prospects. Take the As and AAs with promise and develop them.

For EJax we got Webb and Jaye while dumping Teahen....

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)

Who was flipped with Eduardo Escobar for Francisco Liriano, one of the ten best pitchers in the NL last season.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
What does that matter, we're judging Rick Hahn.

Uh, because your point presupposes that they could have been moved for something better. Or not moved at all, but I'm guessing you wouldn't like that either.