Official NHL 2014-15 Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jan 1, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
Derisively chanting the goalie's name is among my least favorite trends in sports.

Really? I think it's awesome. Brings back some great memories at the UC.

LUUUUOOOONNNNGO!! LLUUUUUOOOONNNGOOOOO!

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 1, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)
What a horses*** phantom hooking call on Toews that decided the game.

Crawford has got to make that stop though. That was a bad goal to give up. You figured there was gonna be a make up call at some point.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 1, 2015 -> 10:30 PM)
Crawford has got to make that stop though. That was a bad goal to give up. You figured there was gonna be a make up call at some point.

He got distracted by Ovechkin whining for the slashing call, but yeah.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 06:33 PM)
Something about that should have made the goal not count. Who wouldn't have been distracted?

there is really no way it is against the rules to distract. only if you interfere.

QUOTE (Greyone @ Jan 3, 2015 -> 01:37 AM)
Until Q figures out a way to get rid of him.

not quite the way he works.

its more like, until the really young rookie pisses him off. then he will

find a way to get rid of him. :D

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 08:26 PM)
That's what makes me really nervous about getting too excited about young players. Q seems to pick and choose who he wants gone. I've very pleased Saad has survived this long.

Yep, I appreciate Q as a coach, but he has had a few head scratchers. And I echo your thought on Saad.

I feel as though Saad has shown Q that he is not a black hole defensively. For Q, that is what matters most. I speculate that our top line, talented as it undoubtedly is, is better as a so called checking line, to battle the opponents top lines. Toews, Hossa and Saad are all very talented defensively. They all have great offensive upside, but usually play the other teams best. While they will take advantage of offensive opportunities, they no doubt will have to play top notch defense, because the other teams best is coming.

I'm okay with that, and the difference between a guy like Saad and a guy like Morin or Pirri or Hayes is that he is responsible defensively. These guys all had time to prove to Q that they are responsible defensively, and anything offensive is a bonus. In the end, Q liked guys like Smith and Kruger better. That Saad was able to work himself into the top line speaks volumes about him.

I know that a lot of Hawks fans take issue with Q's handling of players, but it's likely that fans of the rest of the leagues teams also take issue with theirs. Q thinks very highly of Saad, evidenced by his promotion to the top line. Plain and simple, there should be no surprise that Saad has "survived" Coach Q... because Saad is better then Morin, Pirri and etc.

As for TT, with his promotion you can expect that Q will give him every chance to succeed. But, if for every nice offensive play he makes, an equally as horrid defensive one is made, you can expect he will be sent back to Rockford. I'm as excited about TT as anyone else, but he has GOT to be responsible defensively to stick on this team. It's not just Crawford/Raanta/Darling and happenstance that the Hawks have the best goals for/goal against ratio in the entire league by 10 goals. (Hawks +38, Nashville +28)

In the small amount of time we've seen Teuvo, I've noticed he is an elite passer, and I saw him hustle back on defense quite a lot. Not sure if that's representative of who he is going to be, but he seems to have extremely good vision and anticipation. Reminds me of Saad in that way, although Saad seems to be more physical offensively.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Jan 3, 2015 -> 04:16 AM)
I feel as though Saad has shown Q that he is not a black hole defensively. For Q, that is what matters most. I speculate that our top line, talented as it undoubtedly is, is better as a so called checking line, to battle the opponents top lines. Toews, Hossa and Saad are all very talented defensively. They all have great offensive upside, but usually play the other teams best. While they will take advantage of offensive opportunities, they no doubt will have to play top notch defense, because the other teams best is coming.

I'm okay with that, and the difference between a guy like Saad and a guy like Morin or Pirri or Hayes is that he is responsible defensively. These guys all had time to prove to Q that they are responsible defensively, and anything offensive is a bonus. In the end, Q liked guys like Smith and Kruger better. That Saad was able to work himself into the top line speaks volumes about him.

I know that a lot of Hawks fans take issue with Q's handling of players, but it's likely that fans of the rest of the leagues teams also take issue with theirs. Q thinks very highly of Saad, evidenced by his promotion to the top line. Plain and simple, there should be no surprise that Saad has "survived" Coach Q... because Saad is better then Morin, Pirri and etc.

As for TT, with his promotion you can expect that Q will give him every chance to succeed. But, if for every nice offensive play he makes, an equally as horrid defensive one is made, you can expect he will be sent back to Rockford. I'm as excited about TT as anyone else, but he has GOT to be responsible defensively to stick on this team. It's not just Crawford/Raanta/Darling and happenstance that the Hawks have the best goals for/goal against ratio in the entire league by 10 goals. (Hawks +38, Nashville +28)

no matter what my opinion or for that fact, anyone else. the proof of Q being a good coach

is the amount of championships the Hawks has won.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2015 -> 04:39 AM)
There is always a lot of talk about Q's favorites, but then again, who has he really been wrong on? Its not like there have been any stars after they left Chicago because Q didn't like them.

stars is one thing, a good, a very good player who does all the little

things is another thing.

the jury is out still on some of the other players. bottom line, Q gets

results, and help win the Stanley Cup. that is good for me.