Official NHL 2014-15 Thread

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
The Committed Indian and Bernsie are talking around off the ice issues with Sharp. What's up?

I saw a rumor that Sharp punched Kane (or vice versa) for some reason while they were drinking. I haven't seen any real details or credible reports for it.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
The Committed Indian and Bernsie are talking around off the ice issues with Sharp. What's up?

Ah, but that’s not the whole story here. In my position, pretty regularly I get emails from people claiming to be in the know (and some genuinely are) letting me know about what they’ve heard about this guy or what’s going on with this injury and so on. I appreciate it of course, as I don’t really have any “insiders.” Most of it I dismiss out of hand. But when they start to pile up about the same things or incidents, you start to take notice. When you tap on some people who may be in the know and they say the same things, you take notice more. So I present the following not as truth but just as what I’ve heard repeatedly from a wide variety of people.

There are off-ice issues with Sharp. There may have been a physical altercation with a teammate (and a very important one). Let’s just say the image of Sharp as a wholesome family man with his two daughters is not an accurate picture. There may be other problems. Of course, I find that second one kind of hilarious because the Hawks didn’t exactly halt, and even accelerated, that whole reputation Sharp has as the best looking athlete in town. “Look at how dangerous this tiger is! And now we’re shocked that it’s eating people!”

We know how protective the Hawks are of their message and their image. I don’t know if all or any of what we’ve heard about Sharp is true and what kind of complications it could lead to. But what is clear is that the Hawks are pretty wary of it. And it might just sully some of what they’ve presented to the world. Clearly can’t have that.

But as for connecting the dots with Sharp on the move, and Ryan Kesler coming to town, that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. The Canucks would want to get younger and cheaper in return for Kesler, neither of which Sharp is. Maybe he’s part of the deal, but I’d be real surprised if that was the case. It makes more sense in a deal for Joe Thornton, as with Doug Wilson losing his mind he would think he’s shipping out his Captain Loser for a proven winner. But the money doesn’t totally line up there either, though it could.

All of this leads me to believe The Sharp Shooter’s days in red are at an end, as soon as Friday. It’s sad, because there was no better servant than Sharp. And if it’s for reasons that don’t have to do with hockey, that would piss me off royally (depending on return, of course). Of course, we’ll never hear any of this. But if you own a #10 jersey… might be time to reinvest.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
I saw a rumor that Sharp punched Kane (or vice versa) for some reason while they were drinking. I haven't seen any real details or credible reports for it.

Yeah that's going around, and the fact that he has been cheating on his wife for years has always been around.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 05:21 PM)
Yeah that's going around, and the fact that he has been cheating on his wife for years has always been around.

He cheated on his first wife and married the woman he cheated on her with. When they got divorced, his first wife had an abortion with his kid. He invited his first wife to his wedding with the new woman and was told that abortion news at his there. Sharp and his new wife now have two daughters. Once a cheater always a cheater though, so I wouldn't be shocked if he was doing it again.

Edited by soxfan49

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 08:15 PM)
He cheated on his first wife and married the woman he cheated on her with. When they got divorced, his first wife had an abortion with his kid. He invited his first wife to his wedding with the new woman and was told that abortion news at his there. Sharp and his new wife now have two daughters. Once a cheater always a cheater though, so I wouldn't be shocked if he was doing it again.

His agent went off tonight on twitter saying that he was assured by Stan Bowman that Sharp wouldn't be moved. That's bulls*** in my opinion. Sharp will be gone by Sunday if he waives the NTC.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 08:39 PM)
His agent went off tonight on twitter saying that he was assured by Stan Bowman that Sharp wouldn't be moved. That's bulls*** in my opinion. Sharp will be gone by Sunday if he waives the NTC.

I didn't know he had a NTC, a trade is not a sure thing if he has that. The Panthers love to take on big contracts, but I doubt Sharp wants to hang with Campbell that bad.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 05:48 PM)
Take a look at this list, consider his two Stanley Cups, along with two Gold Medals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Norris_Memorial_Trophy

I think if he retires tomorrow, he probably goes in the Hall.

He just needs more years of solid performance to be have a shot. The consistency for a lot of years will help. If he retires tomorrow, I don't know that he gets in for sure.

Sure he has those accomplishments, but Cups and Medals are obviously team accomplishments. The Norris trophies are much more relevant.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 17m

If there are two guys to redefine new CBA era/rising cap, it's Kane and Toews. Each has one year left on existing deal. Fascinating dynamic.

It's believed Kane-Toews initial ask of CHI on extension is around $12M/yr each. They'll end up lower but still could be $10M+ AAV players.

Many agents believe cap could be as high as $75M for 2015-16, continue to escalate rapidly. Double digit AAV for superstars may be new norm.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 19m

Trade senses are on high alert. Starting to sound like Kesler deal is inching closer. Still working on destination, but next 24hrs, perhaps.

I'll be pretty disappointed if he doesn't end up a Blackhawk.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
I have a hard time imaging Vancouver cutting a deal that could help the Hawks out

I agree, resigning Kane and Toews is top priority but they have to address the 2C this off season somehow, even if it's not the big splash like Spezza or Kesler.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
Like who, then?

I wonder how much Brad Richards would take, I can't imagine him demanding that much after his tough year. I know he's trending downward but if the money is right,why not? This would be like a Plan C kind of thing anyway.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
I agree, resigning Kane and Toews is top priority but they have to address the 2C this off season somehow, even if it's not the big splash like Spezza or Kesler.

They also talked to Stastny

Committed Indians

26 mins ·

ESPN/TSN insider Pierre LeBrun writes this afternoon that the Blackhawks have checked in w/ Paul Stastny's camp about the top center on the free agent market.

Before you get excited/need a cigarette, keep in mind he does not intend to take a pay cut from the $6.6M he made last year.

But, with that in mind, most indications are that the Hawks are working the phones HARD right now, and could be very active in the next 7-10 days.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 17m

If there are two guys to redefine new CBA era/rising cap, it's Kane and Toews. Each has one year left on existing deal. Fascinating dynamic.

It's believed Kane-Toews initial ask of CHI on extension is around $12M/yr each. They'll end up lower but still could be $10M+ AAV players.

Many agents believe cap could be as high as $75M for 2015-16, continue to escalate rapidly. Double digit AAV for superstars may be new norm.

Anything over 10 (I'm hoping 9 or 9.5) is going to f*** over the roster moving forward.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 19m

Trade senses are on high alert. Starting to sound like Kesler deal is inching closer. Still working on destination, but next 24hrs, perhaps.

To the Ducks.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
Like who, then?

Somebody. Bowman can't fail to address the 2C issue yet again. And I think jamming TT there would be pretty premature.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
If only they could move someone who makes 6 million.....

Or 4 million.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
@JayZawaski670

Ben Smith and Antti Raanta back in the fold. Both sign 2 year deals. We'll get numbers at some point today, I'd bet.

Good to see. I don't think either is much of a surprise.