Official NHL 2014-15 Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 07:38 PM)
How good would Jimmy Hayes look now instead of Bickell ? Brad Richards not impressing.Sharp stats are down, Hossa was bad offensively until his recent torrid streak. H Its amazing when you look around the league how much talent the Hawks have given up, Byfuglien , Ladd, Hayes, Vrbata ,Troy Brouwer ,Nick Leddy , even Frolik is having a decent year for Winnipeg.

I've been thinking about your last sentence lately.

Byfuglien, Ladd and Brouwer were cap cutting moves. Had to. No choice.

Leddy was also a cap cutting move, but he also didn't quite fit into Q's plan.

Frolik and Hayes weren't going to get off the 4th line.

But here's the other thing...look at the players who have stuck in the last few years...I'm thinking Saad, Shaw, Kruger, Smith and to a lesser extent Bickell.

Each of these players didn't look intimidated when skating with players like Toews, Hossa, Kane, Sharp, etc. They skate with confidence. They crash the net. They play their role (although some of them have tailed off, I'm looking at you Bickell).

The players that have been traded like Olson, Pirri, Hayes, Morin, Skille, Vrbata, etc...lost their confidence. The players mentioned above either grind it out or respond to in-game benchings or healthy scratching. Q obviously doesn't trust rookies, but if you show ability, the willingness to go to the corners and play grindy, and above all, confidence, you will stick.

That being said, Q has a hard-on for a lot of players (Oduya, Rosy, Handzus last year, Carcillo).

Also, I think Hartman being up is a test to see if he can fill Shaw's role either this year or next.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 07:38 PM)
How good would Jimmy Hayes look now instead of Bickell ? Brad Richards not impressing.Sharp stats are down, Hossa was bad offensively until his recent torrid streak. H Its amazing when you look around the league how much talent the Hawks have given up, Byfuglien , Ladd, Hayes, Vrbata ,Troy Brouwer ,Nick Leddy , even Frolik is having a decent year for Winnipeg.

Its not like they "gave up' all that talent, they couldnt afford to keep everyone.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)
Its not like they "gave up' all that talent, they couldnt afford to keep everyone.

Bingo. When you are top loaded with 3 superstars in Hossa, Toews, and Kane, you literally can't afford to keep all of the good players you develop.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
Varlamov has won like 5 or 6 straight starts against the Hawks, including that 54-save shutout at the UC last month. It would be nice to finally light him up.

Not happening Colorado just got 2 goals on a 2 minute 2 man advantage. Then Crawford gave up what had to be the worst goal of the year. Trying to pass a dump in that was on net he completely whiffed and puck goes in.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 10:03 PM)
Not happening Colorado just got 2 goals on a 2 minute 2 man advantage. Then Crawford gave up what had to be the worst goal of the year. Trying to pass a dump in that was on net he completely whiffed and puck goes in.

That fell apart in a hurry. Luckily, they aren't gonna make the playoffs this year, so don't have to worry about them in April or May.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 09:00 AM)

I realize that . It's just life with the cap but it gets compounded when you're giving away your young talent and guys like Smith anf Kruger are not scoring points while the clock ticks on guys like Sharp and Hossa . I know Coach Q really covets 2 way players but the forwards he keeps still need to get some points.

Watching the Hawks has been painful lately. So many turnovers . Lots of problems at the blue line and no cap space tp make any moves unless they rid themselves of a guy like Sharp or Bickell. It just seems like they're holding on to some guys a little too long and have a revolving door of young guys they won't allow to have growing pains.

The talent level just isn't what is used to be . The 2 Cups were beautiful and they've done a great job making hockey relevent in Chicago again but they are in danger of staying the course too long.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 10:15 PM)
I realize that . It's just life with the cap but it gets compounded when you're giving away your young talent and guys like Smith anf Kruger are not scoring points while the clock ticks on guys like Sharp and Hossa . I know Coach Q really covets 2 way players but the forwards he keeps still need to get some points.

Watching the Hawks has been painful lately. So many turnovers . Lots of problems at the blue line and no cap space tp make any moves unless they rid themselves of a guy like Sharp or Bickell. It just seems like they're holding on to some guys a little too long and have a revolving door of young guys they won't allow to have growing pains.

The talent level just isn't what is used to be . The 2 Cups were beautiful and they've done a great job making hockey relevent in Chicago again but they are in danger of staying the course too long.

They paid Bickell because of his playoff success, which was a bad move and most of the people in this thread have always recognized that from day one. I wonder how much trade value he would even have anymore. Sharpie has kind of hit a wall this year, but he had a career year last season, so it wasn't that easy to predict. Hossa is almost untradeable given how his contract was affected by the new CPA. I think Kruger has been great in his role as 4th line center. I keep waiting for Ben Smith to break out, and it's not happening.

In regards to your last sentence, let's not forget they were inches away from probably winning a 3rd Cup last year. They have been wrong on some talent decisions, and Q is partly to blame. But even though they are struggling right now, I doubt anybody wants to pay them in the playoffs now, they are still dangerous. Teams go through bad stretches all the time.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Feb 21, 2015 -> 01:25 AM)
Leddy was the biggest mistake, followed by Ladd.

Leddy may not have been a "Q" player, but Oduya and Rozsival have been brutal this season, and either of those clowns could have been traded to get the Hawks under the cap entering this season, and they went with Leddy. Just didn't make sense.

Ladd I always thought was a mistake, but I think the front office knew that too, but didn't have much of a choice.

I'm just sick of watching both the Hawks and Bulls underachieve so much this year. I know it could be much worse, and all that matters is the post-season, but it's just the way they are losing. The poor efforts. Hard to accept that.

Agreed about Ladd. During the 2011 and 2012 struggles, I always said that was the one player I really missed. Like you said though, I doubt they had any choice in that matter.

The Leddy for Barker trade was such a steal, it sucks they couldn't keep him long term. Maybe if they hadn't paid Bickell so much or of Crawford wasn't making $6 million, they could have kept him. But at least Q has his veteran security blanket in Rozsival

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 21, 2015 -> 11:23 AM)
Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 4m4 minutes ago

Source says #Blackhawks are looking at Hurricanes' Andrej Sekera and Flames' Curtis Glencross as possible trade targets.

They really need back end defensive help badly.

Glencross makes sense. Im curious if Shaw gets dealt.

Pokka, Johns.. any of them would be better than Roszival at this point. Hell, even Oduya has been brutal this year. Then you add in Shaw being our worst forward on the team this year, regular season Bickell, Ben Smith taking 3 steps back, Sharp looking like he doesn't give a s***, etc. and you have a team that is not that elite this season.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 02:03 AM)
Sorry, but Carcillo is a very minor problem right now. I agree he probably doesn't deserve a roster spot, but there are far greater issues on this team.

Right, but it's an easy fixable problem, and an obvious one. This isn't figuring out how to add a new goalie or acquire a new D-man, this is an easy and quick fix for the minor problem. Drop Carcillo, add almost anyone from Rockford.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 02:35 AM)
Pokka, Johns.. any of them would be better than Roszival at this point. Hell, even Oduya has been brutal this year. Then you add in Shaw being our worst forward on the team this year, regular season Bickell, Ben Smith taking 3 steps back, Sharp looking like he doesn't give a s***, etc. and you have a team that is not that elite this season.

I would not be surprised to see both these guys in the every day line up next season. Pokka has had a great season so far and Johns was doing good until a injury sidelined him for a couple weeks.

Wouldn't mind either one of them coming up in place of Oduya.