Official NHL 2014-15 Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get to work on some pretty cool stuff where I work(Reebok) and for the 2nd time in two years my t-shirt design was selected as the Championship Locker Room tee that the guys wear after hoisting the cup. Even better that I'm a Blackhawks fan too. Congrats Blackhawks!!!!

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)
I meant that one of the most incompetent owners in all of sports died, but yeah, that too.

if you are talking about $Bill, he made lots and lots of money.... so i disagree.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)
if you are talking about $Bill, he made lots and lots of money.... so i disagree.

He made himself a lot of money, and kept it, and didnt do anything for his franchise or fans. Not much to disagree with, the team was named the worst organization in professional sports for one reason, Bill Wirtz.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 06:29 PM)
He made himself a lot of money, and kept it, and didnt do anything for his franchise or fans. Not much to disagree with, the team was named the worst organization in professional sports for one reason, Bill Wirtz.

very true and i will not dispute what you are saying.

however, Bill Sr, was always out for the money. he was the one who said, give the fans a little hope and the season tickets would be sold. it wasn't until the 90's that the fans got feed up.

fans getting feed up will rebel pretty much as the sox fans are doing now.

chi is one fanatical city for sports.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)
Last night was incredible, the whole playoffs were (I was lucky enough to be in the building out here for the 3OT Anahiem game), but there was something a little different with this one. 2010 was history, 2013 was more of "Oh my god these guys are going to do it again, what???? And this year was more "That's right, we are THIS MF'ing good world, look at us."

Still a ton of fun, but a different attitude.

Well said. They had some cringe worthy moments vs. Nashville and they should have never let Anaheim go to 7 games, but it was more of a "Last year was bulls***, the Cup is ours and we are here to take it back". Even leading up to last night, I like barely even thought about them losing, it just didn't seem possible. They were gonna clinch at home, because they wanted it that way.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 08:08 PM)
Well said. They had some cringe worthy moments vs. Nashville and they should have never let Anaheim go to 7 games, but it was more of a "Last year was bulls***, the Cup is ours and we are here to take it back". Even leading up to last night, I like barely even thought about them losing, it just didn't seem possible. They were gonna clinch at home, because they wanted it that way.

:headbang

:drink

QUOTE (MEANS @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
I get to work on some pretty cool stuff where I work(Reebok) and for the 2nd time in two years my t-shirt design was selected as the Championship Locker Room tee that the guys wear after hoisting the cup. Even better that I'm a Blackhawks fan too. Congrats Blackhawks!!!!

This is pretty damn awesome! Congrats to you!

Profit is only a tiny portion of the measure of competency for a sports franchise. If your only motivation is profit, then owning a sports team is a terrible investment. Yes, you need to make a little bit of money, or at least not lose a bunch, but the primary measure of competency for an owner of a sports franchise is the performance of the team.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)

That's fantastic! :notworthy

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 08:31 PM)
Profit is only a tiny portion of the measure of competency for a sports franchise. If your only motivation is profit, then owning a sports team is a terrible investment. Yes, you need to make a little bit of money, or at least not lose a bunch, but the primary measure of competency for an owner of a sports franchise is the performance of the team.

but owning and making a profit from the parent club is one way.

getting all the sub companies that provide the "extra's" to the team. that is where the real profits comes in.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)
but owning and making a profit from the parent club is one way.

getting all the sub companies that provide the "extra's" to the team. that is where the real profits comes in.

Yea, and what we are trying to tell you is that Bill Wirtz didnt put any money into sub companies, extras, equipment, front office, stadium, or anything else. He took the money he made from the NHL and kept it.

Hence, he was a terrible, terrible owner

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 07:59 PM)
Yea, and what we are trying to tell you is that Bill Wirtz didnt put any money into sub companies, extras, equipment, front office, stadium, or anything else. He took the money he made from the NHL and kept it.

bill writz owns the licquer company that provided the licquer to the games, he was part owners for the vending companies that provided the cups, napkins, and other paper goods to the team and yes toliet paper. thru the bismark vending or restaurant, they provided all the snacks and other food staples that the other vendors sold, plus the deal from Budweiser for being the beer of choice esp at a discount for both the bulls and hawks where it is shared with the bulls owners. parking lot, and other advertising.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 07:59 PM)

btw, by this statement, i totally agree with you. but he knew how to make money.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
bill writz owns the licquer company that provided the licquer to the games, he was part owners for the vending companies that provided the cups, napkins, and other paper goods to the team and yes toliet paper. thru the bismark vending or restaurant, they provided all the snacks and other food staples that the other vendors sold, plus the deal from Budweiser for being the beer of choice esp at a discount for both the bulls and hawks where it is shared with the bulls owners. parking lot, and other advertising.

He used the NHL to boost his own personal business, ie he made money for himself off of the NHL. And lets not act like he wasnt tremendously successful without the NHL. Wirtz liquor distribution is huge, it provides 33 percent of liquor sales to the state of Illinois. It doesnt need the blackhawks

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)

That's the same reason Rocky keeps claiming that the Blackhawks are losing money, yet he is still pocketing lots of money from them.

http://www.csnchicago.com/blackhawks/one-c...pact-blackhawks

Perhaps the most craziest stat of Timonen's Stanley Cup run is that he played in more postseason games (18) than regular season games (16) ... and without registering a point.

To put that in a funny perspective: Timonen has more Stanley Cups than points in his Blackhawks career.

That's all that matters.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 09:20 PM)
He used the NHL to boost his own personal business, ie he made money for himself off of the NHL. And lets not act like he wasnt tremendously successful without the NHL. Wirtz liquor distribution is huge, it provides 33 percent of liquor sales to the state of Illinois. It doesnt need the blackhawks

he got his start with the hawks and i forgot all the vending that hawks does for their minor league in rockford.

with making money, he used his connections with the nhl and with the tampa bay owners, the Espo brothers, and of providing most of what i already mention. i also forgot to mention, he has his hands in the soda vending to the bull, hawks, rockford.

as i said before, i will not dispute what you are saying, i am agreeing. believe on this point, i know a crap lot more of the $$$. of the sports in chi.

here is another story, the Bears owners was complaining in the press of how they are not making money or gettng a stadium deal. Bill was so pissed, he just told the bears owners to name a price and he would buy the bears.

mccaskey back off.

I missed the very end of 2013 due to power outage on our side of the street only (lost battery on the radio with the Hawks down one, hard two consecutive cheers from across the street and knew they won it), and I had to follow the game on the ESPN app last night because I was driving across California for work and no station bothered to broadcast the game.