Official NHL 2014-15 Thread

QUOTE (MEANS @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
I get to work on some pretty cool stuff where I work(Reebok) and for the 2nd time in two years my t-shirt design was selected as the Championship Locker Room tee that the guys wear after hoisting the cup. Even better that I'm a Blackhawks fan too. Congrats Blackhawks!!!!

That is awesome

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was such a weird and satisfying cup win. Felt very different.

-2010 just seemed to be destiny. It just seemed like their year, they had put in the time and growth. That team was loaded, probably more than any other in terms of depth, but obviously our stars are better now.

-2013 I appreciated how hard it was to win a cup. The team had battled to two first round exits while they re-tooled, and those playoffs were HARD. Their ability to come from the depths against the Red Wings to me was the real beginning of the hawks I will remember: the ones who you just knew would come back.

- 2015 - A decidedly different regular season. Battling through major injuries and sporadic play that seemed to show up in the non cup years. Weirder to me this playoffs was the lack of a big playoff forward just getting in front of the net like buff and bickell. The defense and goaltending ended up great. The last two games I think I did take for granted that the Lightning very rarely could get a shot off without a backcheck on their stick, or player to block in front. When they DID get space you saw how dangerous they were, but man was that rare.

I can't really tell the difference between 96-98 bulls, but man have these cups been so different and satisfying in different ways. This is the sports moment you crave as a fan. You not only get to enjoy fantastic hockey, but be fans of it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 11:56 PM)
This was such a weird and satisfying cup win. Felt very different.

-2010 just seemed to be destiny. It just seemed like their year, they had put in the time and growth. That team was loaded, probably more than any other in terms of depth, but obviously our stars are better now.

-2013 I appreciated how hard it was to win a cup. The team had battled to two first round exits while they re-tooled, and those playoffs were HARD. Their ability to come from the depths against the Red Wings to me was the real beginning of the hawks I will remember: the ones who you just knew would come back.

- 2015 - A decidedly different regular season. Battling through major injuries and sporadic play that seemed to show up in the non cup years. Weirder to me this playoffs was the lack of a big playoff forward just getting in front of the net like buff and bickell. The defense and goaltending ended up great. The last two games I think I did take for granted that the Lightning very rarely could get a shot off without a backcheck on their stick, or player to block in front. When they DID get space you saw how dangerous they were, but man was that rare.

I can't really tell the difference between 96-98 bulls, but man have these cups been so different and satisfying in different ways. This is the sports moment you crave as a fan. You not only get to enjoy fantastic hockey, but be fans of it.

excellent and i am going off your excellent post.

this playoff games, i really saw how really talented and deep they really were. the main stars were trying but couldn't really get a whole lot going. the others came forward.

can anyone say anything less positive of the group of dman and the goalie. look at the minutes the dmans logged. wow, more than Chelly.

this off season if going to be tough with the salary cap and all, but i really want to enjoy the moment.

So the rally is in Soldier Field, which is a huge bummer, but I want to see how they handle giving out tickets for the event. I hope it's like "Tickets available online starting at xxx" and not "first 61,000 people in line get a ticket" because I don't want to have to leave at 4 am to head to the city. I really want to just grab a spot along the parade route near a TV so we can watch the damn thing.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
bill writz owns the licquer company that provided the licquer to the games, he was part owners for the vending companies that provided the cups, napkins, and other paper goods to the team and yes toliet paper. thru the bismark vending or restaurant, they provided all the snacks and other food staples that the other vendors sold, plus the deal from Budweiser for being the beer of choice esp at a discount for both the bulls and hawks where it is shared with the bulls owners. parking lot, and other advertising.

Bill Wirtz doesn't own s***, because that cocksucker is dead. f*** him.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 03:25 PM)
Bill Wirtz once told former GM Mike Smith "Stanley Cups are too expensive..."

To be fair, I wasn't equating father and son , I just hate the yearly announcement about how much money the Hawks are still losing, when we know the truth.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 03:37 PM)

I'm happy for him and it was a great story, but wow was the Timonen trade f***ing awful. Two second round picks for a guy that was a healthy scratch multiple times and played all of 3:30 in the clincher. Whoever signed off on his fitness was dead wrong

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 04:10 AM)
I'm happy for him and it was a great story, but wow was the Timonen trade f***ing awful. Two second round picks for a guy that was a healthy scratch multiple times and played all of 3:30 in the clincher. Whoever signed off on his fitness was dead wrong

you have a point, looking back on hindsight, but for me, i really don't give a hoot about the trade, the hawks won the Lord Stanley's Cup.

plus the system is still stocked with good prospects fighting to get playing time.

Edited by LDF

The Blackhawks are a breath of fresh air. Two or three superstars which is awesome and a formula for success. Very good goalie, or at least a goalie who must be ultra competitive cause he's always awesome in the playoffs. A very good coach. And some very good supporting cast members who contribute here and there.

I'm only a playoff hockey fan (only follow scores and standings during regular season) and a fan of all Chicago teams except the Cubs (I can't bring myself to accept a Cubs title) but the Blackhawks took us casual playoff fans on a great ride through each round again this postseason.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 07:40 AM)
The Blackhawks are a breath of fresh air. Two or three superstars which is awesome and a formula for success. Very good goalie, or at least a goalie who must be ultra competitive cause he's always awesome in the playoffs. A very good coach. And some very good supporting cast members who contribute here and there.

I'm only a playoff hockey fan (only follow scores and standings during regular season) and a fan of all Chicago teams except the Cubs (I can't bring myself to accept a Cubs title) but the Blackhawks took us casual playoff fans on a great ride through each round again this postseason.

i will second that.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 12:51 AM)
I go full meatball when a team wins a title. Kimmo, right or wrong was on the ice for most of the playoffs games and the Hawks ended up winning the title. Did he help them? Probably not, but you just don't know what would have happened with someone else in that lineup.

Value, it was a bad deal. Given the circumstances of how 2016 looks, you do anything you can to win in 2015, and they did that. It was worth it.

You are right. I also subscribe to the theory that flags fly forever and am always willing to mortgage the future for a title, especially with the tight salary cap. And let's be honest, Rundblad or Cumiskey may have given up a goal in 3:30 of ice time, and Kimmo didn't.

It's just that he was soo bad, he couldn't even skate. My lowest expectations at the time of the trade were higher than what he produced. At the time, my wife said "He hasn't played in 6 months and has been in a hospital bad, how the hell is he gonna be any good at hockey" Smart woman. :D

I wouldn't mind the Blackhawks bringing back Andrew Desjardins next. Not sure if they will have the cap space. I thought he worked well for them on the 4th line.

It probably all depends on how much Saad gets.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
I wouldn't mind the Blackhawks bringing back Andrew Desjardins next. Not sure if they will have the cap space. I thought he worked well for them on the 4th line.

It probably all depends on how much Saad gets.

And who gets traded. The wild card has to be Corey Crawford getting dealt. With the defense the Hawks have, would they be willing to turn the keys to the car over to Raanta and Darling?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)
And who gets traded. The wild card has to be Corey Crawford getting dealt. With the defense the Hawks have, would they be willing to turn the keys to the car over to Raanta and Darling?

It wouldn't totally shock me if Crawford is traded, but I would be a little surprised.

It would be risky to start Raanta or Darling. Could blow up in your face.

i wouldn't be surprise if Bickell gets buried in the minors or traded.

that is a savings of 4 mil right there.

second, you need a goalie who can win the big games, Crawford has shown that and carried this team in the playoff this yr.

some of the D-man from the 3rd line will get moved somehow. even if their contract is not picked up.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)

It's just words, but Bowman basically called Crawford untouchable today. Since the big contract was under his watch, I would be shocked if Corey gets moved.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 04:46 PM)
second, you need a goalie who can win the big games, Crawford has shown that and carried this team in the playoff this yr.

Hawks don't get out of the first round without Darling. He was magnificent against Nashville. Hawks need to do everything in their power to get rid of Bickell. And I'd rather see Versteeg dealt next over Sharp.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 01:59 AM)
Hawks don't get out of the first round without Darling. He was magnificent against Nashville. Hawks need to do everything in their power to get rid of Bickell. And I'd rather see Versteeg dealt next over Sharp.

and you got a excellent point, the hawks don't win the cup without Crawford.

bottom line the hawks needs to keep their goalies.

Sharp will be traded. You get rid of his salary and he will probably bring you back one of the draft picks they lost this year.

Bickell might not bring back as much, but teams are going to always get excited about his size, so he shouldn't be that hard to move.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 04:46 PM)
i wouldn't be surprise if Bickell gets buried in the minors or traded.

that is a savings of 4 mil right there.

some of the D-man from the 3rd line will get moved somehow. even if their contract is not picked up.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that you can't do that anymore under the new CBA.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 06:09 PM)
I am sure Sharpie is gone.

I have no doubt about that. With Teuvo here, and them probably wanting to make a space for the Russian kid they just signed, the writing is on the wall.