Draft Roundtable on FutureSox

NorthSideSox72

Dan is putting together a series of posts on FutureSox as a roundtable, including Dan, Jeff and I, each sounding off on a particular draft topic.

The first topic is: who is your favorite draft pick other than Rodon? Article is up here.

Coming soon: sleeper, best tools, other topics (which hopefully will generate some disagreement).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
Should have been your favorite selection AFTER Adams, lol.

Which could be a "sleeper," because by nature anything from the 3rd round on usually tends to be by nature.

Except for our back-up option to Rodon.

Yeah, that's next.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)
A question, which you guys can feel free to measure as vaguely as possible:

To what extent is FutureSox solely a labor of love? Is there any money made? Does it pay for itself?

We do not get paid whatsoever.

FutureSox sits on the ChicagoNow network. Jason would have to speak to the details of the contract/arrangement, but the basic idea is that they pay for all the infrastructure costs, and we just blog. I believe some CN blogs, when they get consistently big numbers, become eligible for some money. But CN has 350+ blogs, and being a very niche site, we rarely crack the top 50 in hit counts (though it happens occasionally).

FS used to be independent, and then Jason had control over ad revenue, but I'm pretty sure even if we went indy again, the ad revenue would be very small. Like, enough to cover costs, maybe.

So it's a labor of love, pretty much purely. When I went on that trip last August to see the teams in person, or when Balta goes to nearby games to report, we pay for that out of our own pockets. I suppose it may be career-aiding for some people, but that's about the only potential financial reward in sight.

That's awesome. You guys do a great job. There's really nothing better out there. Perhaps the services like BA might have more "talent" for this sort of thing, but they don't put the time and effort on our players like you do.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
So it's a labor of love, pretty much purely. When I went on that trip last August to see the teams in person, or when Balta goes to nearby games to report, we pay for that out of our own pockets. I suppose it may be career-aiding for some people, but that's about the only potential financial reward in sight.

One of the BHam ballplayers rolled a ball to us over the dugout when I wasn't looking. It hit my moonshine-containing cocktail. I'm still waiting on FS to replace it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
That's awesome. You guys do a great job. There's really nothing better out there. Perhaps the services like BA might have more "talent" for this sort of thing, but they don't put the time and effort on our players like you do.

Thanks!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
One of the BHam ballplayers rolled a ball to us over the dugout when I wasn't looking. It hit my moonshine-containing cocktail. I'm still waiting on FS to replace it.

I'm sure I could make you some sort of drink that I could label moonshine. May work better as an engine degreaser than a cocktail though.