2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)
This is why keeping Gibson is huge. If we have to trade Gibson and Mirotic doesn't come over or pan out, we'd be without a power forward. When we have to give big money to Jimmy next year, we won't have any space or the MLE to spend on a second big man.

Why wouldn't the Bulls have the MLE next year?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)

Only thing we wouldn't have is the BAE, which is the bianial exemption, which I presume we will use this year (last used on Marco B).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)

Nevermind, we would. But we'd be knee deep in the tax if we give Melo the max, pay Jimmy his market value next year, and use the MLE.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
Sets up for a lot of things to potentially go wrong though. First that means you can't extend Butler this year which he might not like. Second it sets up the possibility of a poison pill contract forcing the Bulls to lose Butler. Third, it requires the Bulls to still have cap space after Butler's cap hold as an RFA. Finally, it requires there to be someone available on the market next year to go after as a FA. Oh and for a full max deal the cap would need to reach somewhere in the range of $68 million.

If we have learned anything, those poison pill contracts can be moved. Houston had two of them and in reality netted out even. They got a pick for Asik, lost a pick for Lin. Never had to deal with the "poison" pill years. Bulls would have to pay big luxury tax money but technically they can work things where they have flexibility again next year. That will be the last year though, unless they want Jimmy B to walk (and Butler as an RFA is getting big bucks...10+M).

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
Nevermind, we would. But we'd be knee deep in the tax if we give Melo the max, pay Jimmy his market value next year, and use the MLE.

We'd also be a title contender, I think JR would do it. The tax payments we'd have wouldn't be massive either? Not like 20M or anything like that.

The only way the Parsons thing can work is if he agrees to not sign the offer sheet until after Bosh signs. That would constitute a shameful loophole that I find irritating the Mavericks will allow to be exploited

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
We'd also be a title contender, I think JR would do it. The tax payments we'd have wouldn't be massive either? Not like 20M or anything like that.

Since it's not repeater, we should be fine.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
Top 10 protected until 2018.

Where did you read this?

Here is what I can find, although it seems pretty convoluted:

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/baske...e/Cavaliers.htm

Traded LeBron James, Cavaliers option to swap 2012 first round picks (not exercised) to Heat for second round pick (protected top 40 in 2011-12, unprotected in 2013) (2011 #54-Milan Macvan), Cavaliers option to swap 2012 first round picks (not exercised), 2012 second round pick (#34-Jae Crowder), first round pick (protected top 10 in 2013-14, unprotected in 2015) (2013 #30-Nemanja Nedovic), first round pick (2 years following the year in which Heat satisfies its obligation to convey a future first round draft pick to Cavaliers, protected top 10 in 2015-16, unprotected in 2017) (?-?), $14.5M trade exception on 2010-07-09

So it appears possible next year is unprotected.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
The only way the Parsons thing can work is if he agrees to not sign the offer sheet until after Bosh signs. That would constitute a shameful loophole that I find irritating the Mavericks will allow to be exploited

That's why Houston is moving fast on Bosh. They have to sign him first.

If Melo was going to sign with the Knicks he would have done that like five days ago, right? The Lakers are out. He isnt teaming up with Lebron and it doesnt appear there is any dark horse that will come out of the blue.

Melo has to be a Bull some way some how.

Ken Berger just tweeted...

Kings scouring the market for a shot-blocker or stretch-four to play alongside DeMarcus Cousins, league source says.

Hey, I heard that Carlos Boozer guy can shoot long jumpers and 3s.

first round pick (2 years following the year in which Heat satisfies its obligation to convey a future first round draft pick to Cavaliers, protected top 10 in 2015-16, unprotected in 2017)

+++

This line, and correct, 2017, I did the EOYs wrong in my head.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 07:53 PM)
Ken Berger just tweeted...

Hey, I heard that Carlos Boozer guy can shoot long jumpers and 3s.

Can't imagine how fun that would be :lol:

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)

No; The cap hold at the RFA price stays until the Rockets actually accept it. Basically put, there are 2 days left for Bosh to sign and the Rockets to still match Parsons. Bosh just needs to sign before the Rockets accept the offer sheet (which they now are almost down to 48 hours to do as it was signed by Parsons yesterday afternoon).

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
If Melo was going to sign with the Knicks he would have done that like five days ago, right? The Lakers are out. He isnt teaming up with Lebron and it doesnt appear there is any dark horse that will come out of the blue.

Melo has to be a Bull some way some how.

I believe Jeff...I believe. I think Melo has a lot of doubts and also isn't 100% sure he can get the money close while still going to a real good roster. Bulls best chances is for Phil to ultimately help but they need to have rumors leaked that they have scenario's lined up to get Melo his 94M max offer so that Phil bites into this S&T.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)

I really hope this doesn't drag out too long with Melo because I have long thought it makes a ton of sense to get Kirk back at the vet min and I think he will come back, but if we have to keep sitting around that could pose an issue. Bulls could also get really creative and sign Kirk to like a 4.7M deal (technically you make it a 3 year deal with final 2 years being non-guaranteed) and use it as another asset in a S&T.