2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
If Melo left $50 + million on the table, I would totally respect him. I would think he's stupid, but I would respect him.

It won't happen. No one, no how. He is coming to the Bulls though!!!

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
I'd like to think the Bulls have the ability to give Melo a 4 year $90 million deal. Now that's $40 million less overall, but it's not that much less on an annual basis.

Pretty much same when adjusting for taxes. If Bulls got to 4 94 (which is the max for a non New York team) during the 1st 4 years, after taxes, he makes more money in Chicago then NY.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)
Pretty much same when adjusting for taxes. If Bulls got to 4 94 (which is the max for a non New York team) during the 1st 4 years, after taxes, he makes more money in Chicago then NY.

You know more about taxes than me, but my understanding of how income tax works for pro athletes is that they pay each state based on the games played there. So its 41 games taxed at NY rates v IL rate.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
I don't get it. We won't get a player of his quality at the vet minimum. Makes total sense as a 3rd string PG. Limit his minutes, keep injuries to a minimal, and that is an effective back-up right there. Not to mention just a really good guy to have on our bench and in practice.

Let's just be honest though, we're all picturing him getting 25 minutes per game.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 09:28 PM)
You know more about taxes than me, but my understanding of how income tax works for pro athletes is that they pay each state based on the games played there. So its 41 games taxed at NY rates v IL rate.

There was an si article that broke this down and included this, chicago still way cheaper.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
@McGrawDHBulls 15s

Carmelo sign and trade, Pau for mid-level, Wade for bi-annual & Kirk for minimum -- get it done Gar/Pax?

Gurnee, IL

Yeah, no.

McGraw, stop smoking, that's not happening.

Wade would retire before taking the BAE.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
Yeah, no.

McGraw, stop smoking, that's not happening.

Wade would retire before taking the BAE.

Yeah, this is Wade's last chance for a big payday and he opted out of 2 more years of the max. He isn't taking anything other than a huge contract.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
There was an si article that broke this down and included this, chicago still way cheaper.

I think its a difference of approximately 4%. So 4% of 10mil = 400k per year, over 5 years is $2mil. Not really way cheaper. (Im just rounding here, 10mil is approx 50% of his salary which is the portion of his income that would be subject to state of NY taxes.)

That being said, the NY cost of living is a lot higher than Chicago. So $20mil in Chicago, goes further than $20mil in NY.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
I think its a difference of approximately 4%. So 4% of 10mil = 400k per year, over 5 years is $2mil. Not really way cheaper.

That being said, the NY cost of living is a lot higher than Chicago. So $20mil in Chicago, goes further than $20mil in NY.

Does Carmelo actually do endorsements in NY? That could potentially counter some of the cost of living stuff.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)

Yep;

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
The question for Melo is how much money is enough. At this point its generational wealth, he already has made enough money that hed have to go out of his way to spend it all.

I remember this argument with Buehrle...don't want to get into it again