2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
I dunno that that's true. I guess you could say Gibson might not be as valuable as he is today because he had a great season, but I think he still had a lot of value. If anything Butler has dropped in value. Management tried to tank. They got rid of the best player after Rose. They signed guys off the scrap heap. I dunno that you get in the top 3 (although there's always the chance), but anywhere in the top 10 would have been great.

If we were coming off a 35 win season, with a #10 pick, we would be worse off. I'd rather the shot at Melo then the 10th pick. Screw that. Nothing franchise changing about a 10th pick (at least not in the near term). Could it hit, sure, but we have 16 and 19 in a deep and young draft. Give me a Euro player + Levine or another youngster with some upside (or grab a shooter) and I'm content.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I'm Paxson, I call up Phil Jackson and just start speaking in code.

"So, Coach, who do you like in this draft? Oh, Wiggins? Of course. Who are, say, your 15-20th favorite players? Oh, interesting. Wait, wait slow down I'm writing this down."

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 07:11 PM)
If we were coming off a 35 win season, with a #10 pick, we would be worse off. I'd rather the shot at Melo then the 10th pick. Screw that. Nothing franchise changing about a 10th pick (at least not in the near term). Could it hit, sure, but we have 16 and 19 in a deep and young draft. Give me a Euro player + Levine or another youngster with some upside (or grab a shooter) and I'm content.

Look at the Lakers. That's what we'd be. A team with an expensive oft-injured "star", an aging and broken Gasol (Noah if we had tanked), and a whole lotta garbage around em.

But hey! The #7 pick! So excited are they they are trying to turn that into Klay Thompson.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
Look at the Lakers. That's what we'd be. A team with an expensive oft-injured "star", an aging and broken Gasol (Noah if we had tanked), and a whole lotta garbage around em.

But hey! The #7 pick! So excited are they they are trying to turn that into Klay Thompson.

Exactly. Like we'd want to even be close to that situation.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
Also, just an aside, but I can't believe the Lavine love. That kid is so raw, he reminds me of Tyrus Thomas hype except the NBA has gotten smarter.

Lavine at 16 or 19 would be a huge coup. Guy at a minimum will be an elite defender at his position and has a lot of ultimate upside. We aren't talking about a top 5 pick here. And having watched UCLA, he continued to get better and better. Lots of upside for a guy slated to go somewhere in the teens.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 08:36 PM)
Lavine at 16 or 19 would be a huge coup. Guy at a minimum will be an elite defender at his position and has a lot of ultimate upside. We aren't talking about a top 5 pick here. And having watched UCLA, he continued to get better and better. Lots of upside for a guy slated to go somewhere in the teens.

He continued to get better and better? Didn't he score like 6 points total in his last 5 games?

He wouldn't get off Thibs bench for 3 years.

Not sure if it was posted but...

Alex Kennedy @AlexKennedyNBA

Follow

NBA draft rumor: Multiple league sources believe that Zach LaVine has a promise from the Minnesota Timberwolves at No. 13.

So those who want Lavine might be SOL.

I'm also not that big on Lavine either....Sure his athleticism is nice, but how many ridiculous athletes did the Spurs have??

And ya, looking at his game logs he was awful most of time after conference play started.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
He continued to get better and better? Didn't he score like 6 points total in his last 5 games?

I'm saying as a talent. I'm talking season as a whole and he was playing really good for UCLA down the stretch in PAC 10 play. Wasn't focused as much on scoring as just overall game. He's raw with serious upside. He'd be the type of guy you stash and develop through practice but his defensive upside is the reason you can probably eventually get Thibbs to buy into him. More then anything right now we need shooting and Lavine doesn't address that right now so for the Bulls they probably don't take him, but I think he has as much, if not more, pure upside then anyone else at those spots in the draft.

Note: Like anyone as raw as he was, you were going to have your bad games too, which he had plenty of offensively during the season.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 07:39 PM)
I'm saying as a talent. I'm talking season as a whole and he was playing really good for UCLA down the stretch in PAC 10 play. Wasn't focused as much on scoring as just overall game. He's raw with serious upside. He'd be the type of guy you stash and develop through practice but his defensive upside is the reason you can probably eventually get Thibbs to buy into him. More then anything right now we need shooting and Lavine doesn't address that right now so for the Bulls they probably don't take him, but I think he has as much, if not more, pure upside then anyone else at those spots in the draft.

Gotcha. I watched UCLA/Mizzou where he had a great game, so I definitely saw the tools. It just scares me how raw he was, he needs to play live basketball.

BTW The Bulls really need to buy a D league team and use it effectively.

I still can't believe the Rockets did so well on Asik. Makes you cringe that we didn't sign him and end up doing the same this thing year. In hindsight, we would have gotten a few extra years out of Asik and then what looks to be a pretty darn good lotto pick this year (since reports are anything from 4-19 would go to Houston). I am pretty worried about Morey. He is a mover and a shaker.

Houston is a total dump of a city but they have a lot to offer personnel wise (+ lack of state income tax). Worries me, although would Melo really want to go from NY to Houston. Chicago is a smaller version of NY. He'd still have access to tons of fun places, eateries, etc, and a first class city. Houston really doesn't offer that, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 07:43 PM)
Ric Bucher has reported that the Rose camp has reached out to Melo to let him know they want him in Chicago!

1 ss2k5 Rose meme down, 1 to go.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)

Guys who can't score, and play killer defense are starters for Thibs. It is guys who can't defend, but can score who don't play.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)

Note: Like anyone as raw as he was, you were going to have your bad games too, which he had plenty of offensively during the season.

He had 8 games where he scored double digits in his final 28 games. He was dreadful.

Athleticism is through the roof, but again, how many uber athletes did the Spurs have?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
So how stupid would Morey be to trade Harden for Melo straight up?

I don't even think Melo's that much better than Harden, if at all.

The world's smartest gm because the only way it happens is to get Lebron.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
The world's smartest gm because the only way it happens is to get Lebron.

Pretty much. But what if he pulls the deal off and then LeBron decides he's better off elsewhere?

Plus, if you're LeBron, do you seriously think Melo's a better option than Harden?

Harden's younger and he's a better long-range shooter. Plus he's a natural 2, unlike Carmelo, who's a 3.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
Pretty much. But what if he pulls the deal off and then LeBron decides he's better off elsewhere?

Plus, if you're LeBron, do you seriously think Melo's a better option than Harden?

Harden's younger and he's a better long-range shooter. Plus he's a natural 2, unlike Carmelo, who's a 3.

Agreed with everything you said but if Lebron says he's signing with you Iif you do x, you do that of course. Can't imagine they even think about it without some sort of guarantee. And yeah you'd think Lebron would want Harden too but you never know who these guys want to pal with next. Except that it isn't Derrick Rose.