2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
How did Jimmy get so good with his offense in an offseason?

He and a few friends rented a house in Houston and they would would work out three times a day. No internet or TV in the house. Just eat, sleep, workout.

Also only thing stopping Niko from ROY is Thibs.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 21, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)
He and a few friends rented a house in Houston and they would would work out three times a day. No internet or TV in the house. Just eat, sleep, workout.

Also only thing stopping Niko from ROY is Thibs.

That and this pathetic (for now) hyped up 2014 class that underwhelmed in college and is doing even more so in the nba. There have been some injuries. But even with that, this class hasn't impressed at all. 2015 is looking pretty good, though.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 21, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
That and this pathetic (for now) hyped up 2014 class that underwhelmed in college and is doing even more so in the nba. There have been some injuries. But even with that, this class hasn't impressed at all. 2015 is looking pretty good, though.

There's been A LOT of injuries. Either way, give Wiggins some time, he's going to be a player.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 21, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)

4 of your top 6 college players are out (Embid, Parker, Randle and Gordon) and Smart missed time too. We knew Wiggins wasn't there yet and Exum was basically a high schooler. It's hard for a class to look good under those circumstances.

2015 looks interesting at the top, but there's not a lot of depth. Mudiay is the only interesting guard, the wings aren't nearly as talented as Parker and Wiggins, and the non-Okafor bigs will need some work.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
How did Jimmy get so good with his offense in an offseason?
I have no clue how he did it but when you dig deeper into his stats, you come away even more impressed. He's a top 10 scoring leader, is near the top in FG% among the top 10 scoring leaders and shoots less than any other of the top 10.

Imagine how awesome our backcourt will be if DR1 stays healthy and if he gets close to his 2011 self :o

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

The difference between Jimmy this year and years past is we are running more offensive plays for him, in variety of pick and rolls, post ups, and isolations on the wing. His mid range jump shot is also much improved, and whenever he decides to put the ball on the floor, he's stronger than most of the 2 guards guarding him, and that leads to him drawing fouls in bunches.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 21, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
The difference between Jimmy this year and years past is we are running more offensive plays for him, in variety of pick and rolls, post ups, and isolations on the wing. His mid range jump shot is also much improved, and whenever he decides to put the ball on the floor, he's stronger than most of the 2 guards guarding him, and that leads to him drawing fouls in bunches.

It is the jumper that has made the difference though. His shot is much improved, meaning guys have to play his shot and thus he's able to move aggressive to the hole. His post game is so strong. I'd call it elite if it weren't for the fact that we are talking about a two month stretch.

Luckily with Jimmy, his midrange shots are not being hit at an incredible rate nor do they make up an abnormal amount of his points scored. So this doesn't appear unsustainable. And the reason I'm so confident here is that his best skill is getting at the line.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
Luckily with Jimmy, his midrange shots are not being hit at an incredible rate nor do they make up an abnormal amount of his points scored. So this doesn't appear unsustainable. And the reason I'm so confident here is that his best skill is getting at the line.

Yep, he's always been excellent at that, but his shot now is much more consistent which makes his ability to drive that much more lethal. I think a lot of what we are seeing this year, we would have saw last year, if not for those injuries that really missed with his shot / explosiveness. He was never very comfortable after having a great off-season. By the way, I freaking love Jimmy Butler. Just need to say it. I hope he keeps playing this way and turns into a franchise cornerstone!!! He's certainly been playing like it!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
Freep Sports retweeted

Vincent Ellis ‏@Vincent_Ellis56 3m3 minutes ago Manhattan, NY

Source: Josh Smith to be waived by #Pistons

I called how horrific that signing was long ago. Let's put as many inefficient guys on one roster and see what happens!!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)
I called how horrific that signing was long ago. Let's put as many inefficient guys on one roster and see what happens!!

It wasn't even the inefficiency that I thought was stupid, it was that the talent on their roster forced him into his worst tendencies (playing him as SF).

I hope he gets it. When he would really play in the post he was a thrill. But man I would never want him on my team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
It wasn't even the inefficiency that I thought was stupid, it was that the talent on their roster forced him into his worst tendencies (playing him as SF).

I hope he gets it. When he would really play in the post he was a thrill. But man I would never want him on my team.

Given the Kings wanted to trade for Smoov, I reckon they'll try to sign him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)

I wonder how he would do with a coach like Thibbs. He really should be an all world defender and if you really managed the offensive side, he could be something. Was an awful move for the Pistons.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
I wonder how he would do with a coach like Thibbs. He really should be an all world defender and if you really managed the offensive side, he could be something. Was an awful move for the Pistons.

I'd guess that a couple years with Thibs on a developing/rebuilding team and you might see real solid development from him, but on the current Bulls team he'd get buried in Thibs's doghouse and would never work his way out of it because they're a team trying to win.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 06:53 PM)

Stan Van Gundy is a fine coach IMO, and after evaluating him he thought the best move was to pay for him to play elsewhere for like, the next 10 years ( i forgot how that provision works).

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
Stan Van Gundy is a fine coach IMO, and after evaluating him he thought the best move was to pay for him to play elsewhere for like, the next 10 years ( i forgot how that provision works).

I agree w/you on SVG. I think he's a good coach and the Pistons are need of the culture shock that he should bring to the table. Not sure how he is as a franchise builder and how he will do with the amount of power he has in that organization.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
I'd guess that a couple years with Thibs on a developing/rebuilding team and you might see real solid development from him, but on the current Bulls team he'd get buried in Thibs's doghouse and would never work his way out of it because they're a team trying to win.

Oh I agree and wasn't insinuating the Bulls make a move for him. I do think if you put him in the right place with the right overall team culture and he could very well thrive and take the steps necessary. He's kind of like Cutler from the perspective of you know the tools are there to be an above average player....the results however, are not above average.