2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 08:25 PM)
Only one team responded? WTF do they all pay PR departments for?

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2015/03/k...=social_twitter

Didn't this start with some kid writing a letter to every NFL team over Christmas? You would imagine many professionals sports teams have gotten many letter like this the past couple of months.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 08:18 PM)
And you aren't going to win the post season without at least one hall of famer, or multiple superstars, no matter how good of a coach you are. There are a few exceptions, but after the LeBron superfriends crap, they are less and less likely.

Already you have to go back to the 2004 Pistons to find a team without a future Hall of Famer on it. I couldnt even tell you the last team before that.

Do the Bulls have any future Hall of Famers? How many superstars do they have? Yeah, I am sure that is Thibs fault too.

You need a future hall of famer to get out of the first round?

He made the ECF 1 time. Not the Finals, the ECF.

Youre comparing to teams that won the NBA Finals, hes never even made it to the game.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 08:58 PM)

Youre comparing to teams that won the NBA Finals, hes never even made it to the game.

He's had a healthy team once in the playoffs. And got out of the first round that year with the Nets with an AAU team basically.

If they fire thibs I may have to consider taking a leave of absence from being a fan. Would be very difficult to root for them after Gar/Pax pulled that s***.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:25 PM)
Only one team responded? WTF do they all pay PR departments for?

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2015/03/k...=social_twitter

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:39 PM)
Didn't this start with some kid writing a letter to every NFL team over Christmas? You would imagine many professionals sports teams have gotten many letter like this the past couple of months.

IIRC we've picked up a few Sox fans by replying to those letters with fan packages.

You aren't doing anything in the playoffs with the Bulls roster as it has been the last few years.

Are you sayimg the reason the Bulls haven't made the finals the past 5 years is Thibs?

It took Michael Jordan 7 years to reach the finals. They should have dumped him after 5 years. I am sure the package would have been amazing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 10:53 PM)
Are you sayimg the reason the Bulls haven't made the finals the past 5 years is Thibs?

It took Michael Jordan 7 years to reach the finals. They should have dumped him after 5 years. I am sure the package would have been amazing.

Interestingly they did fire Doug Collins.

Were talking coaches not players right?

And I never said that Thibs was the reason they didnt make the Championship. But for all of the success in the regular season the Bulls have had very limited success in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 01:35 AM)

And I never said that Thibs was the reason they didnt make the Championship. But for all of the success in the regular season the Bulls have had very limited success in the playoffs.

I'll challenge you to answer the question I asked earlier: Which of the playoff series that the Bulls lost should they have won given their roster at the time?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 01:35 AM)

If he is not the reason they haven't made it to the finals, how is addressing the non reason going to fix things? If the players aren't good enough with Thibs, they aren't going to be good enough with anyone you hire. Firing Thibs makes no sense as a basketball decision, yet many are trying to spin his imminent departure as a decent basketball decision.

Besides, when they fired Collins, the same staff remained pretty much intact. Pippen and Grant got better because of experience and working with Al Vermeil on their bodies. I am pretty confident the Bulls would have won championships had Collins remained.

It's laughable some actually think these guys will start playing 80 games a year once Thibs is gone and not "killing" them.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 04:57 PM)
And apparently all of that was the result of the front office, and not the coach. But yes, counting on Derrick Rose to be healthy after two knee surgeries was brilliant work by the front office, if only the coach hadn't have gotten him a third knee surgery all by himself.

Speaking of living in an alternate universe.... If there were any more sunshine in your reality, you'd be living on Mercury.

More realistically, a star player, two knee surgeries later, who is afraid to play at 100%.

A former DPOY who is coming off of knee surgery, and no where near 100%.

A former All-star center, coming off of hte worst stretch of his career.

A rookie who was no where near ready to contribute, can't shoot, and defends even worse.

I gave credit to both. Not sure why you're ignoring that.

And I'd like to know an alternative plan for Rose up to this point. After one ACL tear do you trade him? No, you don't. He comes back, tears his MCL, has 3 years left on a max deal. Who's taking him? What free agents are out there that you're going to pick up? Yeah, yeah, "look at all the players moving teams," the broadest response that ignores reality, like cap room, assets, competition from other teams, a players desire to play in Chicago, etc. It's far easier to complain about some magical answer that doesn't exist I guess.

I just stated the facts. I don't expect them to contend for the ECF, let alone the title, without a healthy Rose. But there is talent on this team. The Bulls surrounded their franchise player with plenty of help. Unfortunately it's a team that can never stay healthy led by a player that can't stay healthy. After this year I have no problem with them drafting a PG for the future or even signing a back-up that is starter quality (if that's available because, again, reality).

Lastly, Noah is getting close to 100%, if not already there. He's been good the last week or two. Pau was terrible in LA because of the situation, not the skills (see, this season). And I was referring to Mirotic, not McDermott.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 08:53 AM)
I gave credit to both. Not sure why you're ignoring that.

And I'd like to know an alternative plan for Rose up to this point. After one ACL tear do you trade him? No, you don't. He comes back, tears his MCL, has 3 years left on a max deal. Who's taking him? What free agents are out there that you're going to pick up? Yeah, yeah, "look at all the players moving teams," the broadest response that ignores reality, like cap room, assets, competition from other teams, a players desire to play in Chicago, etc. It's far easier to complain about some magical answer that doesn't exist I guess.

I just stated the facts. I don't expect them to contend for the ECF, let alone the title, without a healthy Rose. But there is talent on this team. The Bulls surrounded their franchise player with plenty of help. Unfortunately it's a team that can never stay healthy led by a player that can't stay healthy. After this year I have no problem with them drafting a PG for the future or even signing a back-up that is starter quality (if that's available because, again, reality).

Lastly, Noah is getting close to 100%, if not already there. He's been good the last week or two. Pau was terrible in LA because of the situation, not the skills (see, this season). And I was referring to Mirotic, not McDermott.

Actually after his ACL tear, I said exactly that. I was on the ultra-paranoid end of Soxtalk when it came to Rose's first knee injury. I thought there was a pretty good chance he would never be the same again because his margin for error was so small with the type of body and skill set he had/has. I would have traded him for the best, non-ridiculous offer, at that time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 09:14 AM)
Actually after his ACL tear, I said exactly that. I was on the ultra-paranoid end of Soxtalk when it came to Rose's first knee injury. I thought there was a pretty good chance he would never be the same again because his margin for error was so small with the type of body and skill set he had/has. I would have traded him for the best, non-ridiculous offer, at that time.

Well that's insane. Guys come back from knee injuries all the time. Look at Westbrook right now. You don't throw away a max, franchise guy without giving him a chance to come back. Would you have gotten rid of Jordan for breaking his foot?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)
Well that's insane. Guys come back from knee injuries all the time. Look at Westbrook right now. You don't throw away a max, franchise guy without giving him a chance to come back. Would you have gotten rid of Jordan for breaking his foot?

i will interject on this by saying, while technology has improve, a person will never be the same after a knee surgery. Medically it is impossible to have the structure of the knee be stable.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)

None of them have Derrick Rose's smallish body either. Rose's game is all athletic. You see what is left of Derrick Rose when he can't explode. It happened to Allen Iverson before him after a decade of abuse, instead of major injuries, but it happened. An ACL just makes it happen quicker.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
i will interject on this by saying, while technology has improve, a person will never be the same after a knee. Medically it is impossible to have the structure of the knee be stable.

Are you 100% after any surgery? No. Can you function at an incredibly high level again? Yes. It's not like he would have been the first to ever come back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 09:30 AM)
None of them have Derrick Rose's smallish body either. Rose's game is all athletic. You see what is left of Derrick Rose when he can't explode. It happened to Allen Iverson before him after a decade of abuse, instead of major injuries, but it happened. An ACL just makes it happen quicker.

Westbrook is about the same size as Rose.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
Are you 100% after any surgery? No. Can you function at an incredibly high level again? Yes. It's not like he would have been the first to ever come back.

can you play at a high level, good question. several different answers for that. when someone who has a vast amount of talent, i can't see why not. but when one has a key ability, speed, it will diminish his overall use of his talent. Rose speed and his ability to make it work is what made him special. take that speed away, how do one compensate for that?

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 09:46 AM)
can you play at a high level, good question. several different answers for that. when someone who has a vast amount of talent, i can't see why not. but when one has a key ability, speed, it will diminish his overall use of his talent. Rose speed and his ability to make it work is what made him special. take that speed away, how do one compensate for that?

Exactly. His speed and explosiveness are his game. I don't see how wondering if he can't do those things at 100% (or in Derricks head 110%) anymore means for his career is stupid.

I don't think speed and explosion was missing from his game the last month. He's had that back since the summer and it was only getting better. So if that's what you guys are going on, i'm confident he can, barring another injury, be a really good player again. Does he need to evolve his game a little? Yes. Does he need to be more of a facilitator? Yes. Can he still take over for 3-4 minutes in crunch time? If healthy, yes.

Obviously i'm being optimistic today, but there would have been no chance in hell that I would have traded Rose after one injury to his knee at age 23 given his talent and marketability. After 2 surgeries I would have looked around and started planning for a possible future without him, but I still would have planned for him to come back and be a part of the team. Which is what they did by bringing in Pau and bringing over Moritic. This third injury was always a risk and happens pretty frequently. Everyone overreacted. It's not another major injury, so I don't think it plays a huge part here. It's just s***ty timing and interrupts the whole teams ability to gel going into the playoffs.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
I don't think speed and explosion was missing from his game the last month. He's had that back since the summer and it was only getting better. So if that's what you guys are going on, i'm confident he can, barring another injury, be a really good player again. Does he need to evolve his game a little? Yes. Does he need to be more of a facilitator? Yes. Can he still take over for 3-4 minutes in crunch time? If healthy, yes.

Obviously i'm being optimistic today, but there would have been no chance in hell that I would have traded Rose after one injury to his knee at age 23 given his talent and marketability. After 2 surgeries I would have looked around and started planning for a possible future without him, but I still would have planned for him to come back and be a part of the team. Which is what they did by bringing in Pau and bringing over Moritic. This third injury was always a risk and happens pretty frequently. Everyone overreacted. It's not another major injury, so I don't think it plays a huge part here. It's just s***ty timing and interrupts the whole teams ability to gel going into the playoffs.

and therein lies the point, he has to change his style of play, he will NEVER have the speed he had pre injury, but he can become a better overall player, IF he develops it. now with any more injuries, which i hope not, he can be that player who says "i could have been great" and i will agree. this is a shiiity thing that happen to him.

now the bulls have to start looking into moving forward without him and address that in the draft at some time. also how to compensate and play the game with out him and of course with him. 2 totally different philosophy of playing.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)

Especially since the surgery, Derrick Rose has proven out to be a mental midget off of the floor. Now after the injuries, it seem to have followed him into his game. He's a sunk cost now, and will never be the same player again. We can all cross our fingers, but with where we are today, the only thing I would count on from Derrick Rose is for him to continue to cash the Bulls checks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
Especially since the surgery, Derrick Rose has proven out to be a mental midget off of the floor. Now after the injuries, it seem to have followed him into his game. He's a sunk cost now, and will never be the same player again. We can all cross our fingers, but with where we are today, the only thing I would count on from Derrick Rose is for him to continue to cash the Bulls checks.

wow.... a harsh reality check there.

but if he can't transform to be a better overall player, you are right. so the monkey is on his shoulder to prove the whole basketball world he can change.

I still think it's pretty clear Bulls are much better with him. he's one of the few players on offense strong enough to get to the spots he wants. He's just not making good decisions.

Unreal the amount of turnovers from our guards this year. Kirk/Brooks/rose, just bad.

Bulls really could have used a steady ballhandler presence like Andre Miller was last year for Wiz.