Baseball Injury Information Thread

Soxfest

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12648769...my-john-surgery

Another one ptac will enjoy on TJ.

Might want to think twice about Aiken and Matuella.

One part I think they missed is a qualitative portion to ask why the average fastball velocity decreased. Were they told to not throw as hard as often. I think thats one reason the sox are so low in TJ surgery. Cooper really stresses decreasing velocity to improve movement and command.

• 2 weeks later...

ptatc, what's your read on the cause of Mark Prior's injury issues and some others who have been lumped in with him as Tom House guys? I've heard a lot of talk about the "inverted W" and more generally the arm coming through late. Is that what you're thinking about in terms of the chief injury risk of that approach?

I say this because for a long time I saw a Tom House instructor (and a couple of times the man himself) and I was encouraged to go with what felt natural in terms of arm slot and position throughout the delivery, which in my case meant taking it out low and throwing 3/4. Of course, the arm slot kept dropping as my labrum tear got more severe...

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 09:17 PM)
One part I think they missed is a qualitative portion to ask why the average fastball velocity decreased. Were they told to not throw as hard as often. I think thats one reason the sox are so low in TJ surgery. Cooper really stresses decreasing velocity to improve movement and command.

wow that is a great point

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 07:27 PM)
ptatc, what's your read on the cause of Mark Prior's injury issues and some others who have been lumped in with him as Tom House guys? I've heard a lot of talk about the "inverted W" and more generally the arm coming through late. Is that what you're thinking about in terms of the chief injury risk of that approach?

I say this because for a long time I saw a Tom House instructor (and a couple of times the man himself) and I was encouraged to go with what felt natural in terms of arm slot and position throughout the delivery, which in my case meant taking it out low and throwing 3/4. Of course, the arm slot kept dropping as my labrum tear got more severe...

while you brought that up, re Prior, what effect would taking PED also have on the arm??

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)

Most of the issues I have with Tom and his philosophy revolve around throwing the breaking pitches. He focuses on breaking the wrist. He'll say"move your wrist like you are pulling a string from a light bulb." This is the reason he has pitchers throw a football, to get the wrist to move. That creates stress up the chain, mostly to the elbow. The towel drill also focuses too much on the wrist motion and a violent move with the shoulder.

Other things I have issues with is raising the elbows and leg. Raising the front elbow tends to force the pitcher into a backward leaning position thus they are off balance. Raising the front leg too high tends to do the same thing. Raising the back elbow too high makes it tough to get the arm into external rotation before the body starts moving forward. This puts a great deal of stress on the shoulder. It really will stretch out the capsule and create a loose shoulder (this was the issue with Prior, no real injury just a loose shoulder and pain).

He does focus on using your natural motion which is good. But some of the changes he brings in with the drills aren't the best for the body physically.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 01:41 PM)
while you brought that up, re Prior, what effect would taking PED also have on the arm??

PEDs allow the arm to recover quicker and pitch with a higher intensity more often. The issue is ligaments and capsules such as the shoulder joint and UCL in the elbow aren't built to take that much stress. Thus they may start to break down with the increased workload allowed by the PEDs.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 07:31 PM)
PEDs allow the arm to recover quicker and pitch with a higher intensity more often. The issue is ligaments and capsules such as the shoulder joint and UCL in the elbow aren't built to take that much stress. Thus they may start to break down with the increased workload allowed by the PEDs.

well, i didn't know the all medical things, but i thought that with the PED, the players throw harder without realizing it.

there was another thing i remember, my cuz was telling me of some huge veins or something poping out, something that happens when someone, in that time/era, was on the juice.

edit..... i almost forgot.... even Maddox made a snide comment about Prior being on some special milk shake.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 04:04 PM)
well, i didn't know the all medical things, but i thought that with the PED, the players throw harder without realizing it.

there was another thing i remember, my cuz was telling me of some huge veins or something poping out, something that happens when someone, in that time/era, was on the juice.

edit..... i almost forgot.... even Maddox made a snide comment about Prior being on some special milk shake.

It really doesn't make pitchers throw harder as strength isn't a direct correlation to throwing velocity. It made have made some difference. It allowed them to throw at the maximum velocity for a loner period of time so maybe it raised the average fastball velocity.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 09:16 PM)
It really doesn't make pitchers throw harder as strength isn't a direct correlation to throwing velocity. It made have made some difference. It allowed them to throw at the maximum velocity for a loner period of time so maybe it raised the average fastball velocity.

ok, then i step in the crap. but the story of maddox was true.

btw, i think i was ref to throwing hard all the time. i don't know, that was a long time ago and i am no medical.

many thanks for your input.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 04:26 PM)
ok, then i step in the crap. but the story of maddox was true.

btw, i think i was ref to throwing hard all the time. i don't know, that was a long time ago and i am no medical.

many thanks for your input.

Lot's of people made reference to Prior and PEDs. You are not alone in reading that.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the abstract of an excellent article just published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine. Unfortunately, I could upload the article as it's too big.

Basically says that pitchers who are successful in the MLB post UCL reconstruction bring their mechanics to within an insignificant difference from the "norm."

Rafael F. Escamilla,z{ PhD, PT, Toran D. MacLeod,{ PhD, PT, and James R. Andrews,yz MD

Investigation performed at the American Sports Medicine Institute, Birmingham, Alabama, USA

Background: A relatively high number of active professional baseball pitchers have a history of ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction

(UCLr) on their throwing elbow. Controversy exists in the literature about whether professional baseball pitchers regain

optimal performance after return from UCLr. It has been suggested that pitchers may have different biomechanics after UCLr, but

this has not been previously tested.

Hypothesis: It was hypothesized that, compared with a control group without a history of UCLr, professional pitchers with a history

of UCLr would have (1) significantly different throwing elbow and shoulder biomechanics; (2) a shortened stride, insufficient

trunk forward tilt, and excessive shoulder horizontal adduction, characteristics associated with ‘‘holding back’’ or being tentative;

(3) late shoulder rotation; and (4) improper shoulder abduction and trunk lateral tilt.

Study Design: Controlled laboratory study.

Methods: A total of 80 active minor league baseball pitchers (and their 8 Major League Baseball organizations) agreed to participate

in this study. Participants included 40 pitchers with a history of UCLr and a matched control group of 40 pitchers with no history of

elbow or shoulder surgery. Passive ranges of motion were measured for each pitcher’s elbows and shoulders, and then 23 reflective

markers were attached to his body. The pitcher took as many warm-up pitches as desired and then threw 10 full-effort fastballs for

data collection. Ball speed was recorded with a radar gun. The reflective markers were tracked with a 10-camera, 240-Hz automated

motion analysis system. Eleven biomechanical parameters were computed for each pitch and then averaged for each participant.

Demographic, range of motion, and biomechanical parameters were compared between the UCLr group and the control

group by use of Student t tests (significance set at P\.05).

Results: All hypotheses were rejected, as there were no differences in pitching biomechanics between the UCLr group and the

control group. There were also no differences in passive range of motion between the 2 groups.

Conclusion: Compared with a control group, active professional pitchers with a history of UCLr displayed no significant differences

in shoulder and elbow passive range of motion and no significant differences in elbow and shoulder biomechanics.

Clinical Relevance: Clinical studies have previously shown that 10% to 33% of professional pitchers do not return to their preinjury

level; however, the current study showed that those pitchers who successfully return to professional baseball after UCLr

pitch with biomechanics similar to that of noninjured professionals.

Keywords: Tommy John surgery; elbow varus torque; kinematics; kinetics

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Someone explain to me why most MLB teams don't listen to Chris O'Leary when with regard to pitching mechanics/injury. I don't know why most MLB teams and people around baseball think he's a quack. The guy seems pretty spot on to me, I have been following him since about 2009 or so. My only thought is that if pitchers threw correctly, there would be less guys who throw 94+ and more around 88-91 and hitters are too good now to have such a shortage of pitchers who throw hard. I honestly think the guy may have something. It seems like the guy who is wrongly arrested for murder when the guy is sitting there next to him with the smoking gun in his hand and the cops are ignoring him because the guy with the smoking gun is the police chief. I think it is more like they are ignoring him when he may have the answer, because they don't want to hear it. IF nothing else is working, why not try his ideas to keep pitchers healthy?

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
Someone explain to me why most MLB teams don't listen to Chris O'Leary when with regard to pitching mechanics/injury. I don't know why most MLB teams and people around baseball think he's a quack. The guy seems pretty spot on to me, I have been following him since about 2009 or so. My only thought is that if pitchers threw correctly, there would be less guys who throw 94+ and more around 88-91 and hitters are too good now to have such a shortage of pitchers who throw hard. I honestly think the guy may have something. It seems like the guy who is wrongly arrested for murder when the guy is sitting there next to him with the smoking gun in his hand and the cops are ignoring him because the guy with the smoking gun is the police chief. I think it is more like they are ignoring him when he may have the answer, because they don't want to hear it. IF nothing else is working, why not try his ideas to keep pitchers healthy?

Former pitcher Mike Marshall has been promoting better pitching mechanics for years, but no one really cares to listen.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 03:34 PM)
Former pitcher Mike Marshall has been promoting better pitching mechanics for years, but no one really cares to listen.

The movement to do this is happening. Its hard however because traditional methods and mindset is still there. A lot of the marshal drills have been adopted by others like Driveline, Texas Baseball Ranch and others. We use mechanical patterning with plyocare, jaeger banding with a focus on recovery protocols and have implemented pitching limits in our travel baseball organization. There is no reason for youth pitchers to rack up the crazy amount of pitch counts and max effort pitches at an early age. Breaking pitches are forbidden on my team. We shut down our pitchers for months at a time with regards to throwing. We see that after implementing these measures that we don't have arm issues.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...