Sports Injury Information Thread

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)
Another jogging mishap. Hopefully minor.

My shin and foot felt fine yesterday, however, felt a tinge in my hamstring near the end of a great speed walk with some jogging and sprints at the end. I stopped immediately and iced it. Today the hammy is a bit sore, just enough to know I did something and almost did something bad.

I'm not limping. It's just a bit sore back there. Happened Friday. Do I walk again Monday after resting it? Do I stretch?

Do not stretch. The trauma will just last longer. I would walk again and see how it feels. Do not do the jog and sprints until Wednesday and then only the jog. Give it at least 7 to 10 days before light sprints. Icing is always good for about 20 to 30 minutes. No more because then it actually starts to reverse the benfits.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 03:12 AM)
Do not stretch. The trauma will just last longer. I would walk again and see how it feels. Do not do the jog and sprints until Wednesday and then only the jog. Give it at least 7 to 10 days before light sprints. Icing is always good for about 20 to 30 minutes. No more because then it actually starts to reverse the benfits.

Thanks ptatc.

I would have stretched and been in big physical trouble had I not got this advice from you.

I'm a little surprised the twinge and slight soreness back there (I can feel it at times when I'm walking around in my dress shoes) is to shelve me til Wednesday. Does the twinge mean the hammy is about to rip apart soon if I was to work out? After your post I'm a little concerned I'll be walking Monday and the hammy will explode.

Thank u very much.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 10:09 PM)
Thanks ptatc.

I would have stretched and been in big physical trouble had I not got this advice from you.

I'm a little surprised the twinge and slight soreness back there (I can feel it at times when I'm walking around in my dress shoes) is to shelve me til Wednesday. Does the twinge mean the hammy is about to rip apart soon if I was to work out? After your post I'm a little concerned I'll be walking Monday and the hammy will explode.

Thank u very much.

The twinge means that the muscle fibers around the tear are still sensitive and there is edema in the area irritating the surrounding tissue. If it is still so tender you are getting the twinges don't walk very strenuously if at all. I would not do aggressive walking until you can walk painfree at anormal pace. It won't explode but it will delay the healing process. A foam roll or massage stick will help the healing process by moving the edema.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 09:35 PM)
Sounds more like patella femoral pain syndrome. Put your hand on the very top of your knee cap and push it down toward your ankle. Once it is in this position try to tighten your quad. Your hand should be resisting the knee cap from coming back up. How did that feel?

Hurts right at the top of the kneecap where I'm holding it and under the kneecap.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 05:05 PM)
Hurts right at the top of the kneecap where I'm holding it and under the kneecap.

That's more the patella femoral pain then. Follow the exercise program. I stated earlier in the thread for greg775. He has a similar issue. You need to get the pressure out from under the patella. The exercises will for lack of a better way to explain, help the patella to track better.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
That's more the patella femoral pain then. Follow the exercise program. I stated earlier in the thread for greg775. He has a similar issue. You need to get the pressure out from under the patella. The exercises will for lack of a better way to explain, help the patella to track better.

Thanks ptatc! Will do!

matt

• 1 month later...

I have this pain behind my knee (more towards the back side of my knee). It is very weird how it comes and goes...

If I am sitting for a while and then get up, I can feel it. If I were to bend my leg as far back as possible, I could feel it. Sometimes it feels like it could give out at any moment. Never a ton of pain but soreness, moreso. I can play sports, sometimes I will feel it, sometimes I won't. I tend to sleep on my side with my legs bent so I can definitely feel it in the morning until I work it out but it's not just a morning thing.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 03:39 PM)
I have this pain behind my knee (more towards the back side of my knee). It is very weird how it comes and goes...

If I am sitting for a while and then get up, I can feel it. If I were to bend my leg as far back as possible, I could feel it. Sometimes it feels like it could give out at any moment. Never a ton of pain but soreness, moreso. I can play sports, sometimes I will feel it, sometimes I won't. I tend to sleep on my side with my legs bent so I can definitely feel it in the morning until I work it out but it's not just a morning thing.

Is it on the back of the knee by the hamstrings or more toward the middle? It there a swollen area back there when you poke there?

Any tips on helping high school golfers avoid injuries?

I've been working with them on various stretching drills and even swinging a club left handed to balance the stretching. Basically all tips I've picked up through the years.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
Any tips on helping high school golfers avoid injuries?

I've been working with them on various stretching drills and even swinging a club left handed to balance the stretching. Basically all tips I've picked up through the years.

Primary thing is to use the hips with the turn in the swing. Thus its really core work and hips. Exercises like wall squats and lateral hip exercises are the best. The other part is the elbows. Make sure they dont grip too tight. If they do make the grips bigger. This decreases the stress onthe elbows.

I check how they place their hands on the club, I never like to say grip, that tends to have them hold too tight. I also check their clubs and regrip worn clubs.

I hadn't thought of wall squats, I'll start those myself. The tension between the hips and shoulders can't be avoided in a good setting.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 05:27 PM)
It feels like its in the middle, no swollen areas.

That's a tough one as it's a there is a bunch of small things there. It could be a nerve irritation: is there any pain going up or down. It could be a muscle called the poplitius: is it aggravated with your knee straight and you pull your toes up in the opposite of a gas pedal motion using a towel. There is also ligaments and capsule back there that can get injured with a hyperextension motion of the knee.

If these don't help you should see a physician as there are many others as well.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 06:16 PM)
ptac what are your thoughts on the third DRose injury?

I apologize if you commented already in the Drose thread but I dont remember seeing one from you.

Sorry, I did not get to this earlier. Been a crazy semester.

Since the surgeons are nor repairing it, his injury is on a different spot so it is not easily repaired. This should rehab much faster. Once the tear is removed, he will just need to get the edema down and get full strength and he will be good to go. That being said his comments yesterday lead one to believe that he has little confidence in the knee. The rehab is normally 4 weeks, 6 on the outside. Now that there has been two surgeries on the same knee, one being a repair and the other a excision, it's going to feel different. The knee will never be the same. So you knows when he will determine it "feels" ready to go.