Conor Gillaspie

The Sir

I don't get to watch many games, but I do listen to the majority of them on MLB Radio. Not that that really helps me answer this question for myself.

So...who is this guy? Is he a .250 hitter with mediocre homerun power or is he a .330 hitting doubles machine with zilch in terms of homerun power? Is he somewhere in between? Did Steverson help make adjustments to swing that led to these overall improvements? I noticed his BABIP climbed from .303 last year to .394 this year- is it just luck?

I'm surprised there aren't any threads on this already. To me, this is one of the most exciting and intriguing things about this year. As crummy as Davidson's been, Conor's success has really helped alleviate that. Could he be a long term solution at third base?

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
I don't get to watch many games, but I do listen to the majority of them on MLB Radio. Not that that really helps me answer this question for myself.

So...who is this guy? Is he a .250 hitter with mediocre homerun power or is he a .330 hitting doubles machine with zilch in terms of homerun power? Is he somewhere in between? Did Steverson help make adjustments to swing that led to these overall improvements? I noticed his BABIP climbed from .303 last year to .394 this year- is it just luck?

I'm surprised there aren't any threads on this already. To me, this is one of the most exciting and intriguing things about this year. As crummy as Davidson's been, Conor's success has really helped alleviate that. Could he be a long term solution at third base?

IMO his defense needs to improve dramatically to be the long term solution at 3B. He seems to have traded power for average, which is fine, and could lead to a long career as a infield super sub

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 05:45 PM)
IMO his defense needs to improve dramatically to be the long term solution at 3B. He seems to have traded power for average, which is fine, and could lead to a long career as a infield super sub

sorry for hijacking the thread, but I just saw your quote about ozzie, it was funny.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
Super sub? The way this guy's hitting, he's definitely a starter somewhere... however his defense does need to improve.

If you cant field and you play 3rd, you generally dont stick around unless you have a tremendous power tool. Super sub isnt a bad thing, they basically do "start", just not a consistent position. But the bat keeps them in the lineup.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
If you cant field and you play 3rd, you generally dont stick around unless you have a tremendous power tool. Super sub isnt a bad thing, they basically do "start", just not a consistent position. But the bat keeps them in the lineup.

Forget the less precise power numbers -- he has a wRC+ of 129. That papers over quite a bit of bad defense at 3B. MLB 3B have combined for an fWAR of 41.4 and a wRC+ of 98 so far in 2014. Conor slides in pretty well as a perfectly cromulent starting 3B using those numbers. Most teams would be happy to have him.

I agree that his defense leaves a lot to be desired but he's still young enough to where you'd expect him to improve a bit as he gets closer to his 27-30 year old peak.

The problem with Conor is that he needs a platoon partner (wRC+ of 62 verse LHP) and because of our s***ty ass roster construction we don't have room for one. That's fine as we aren't winning anything this year but in '15 you'd hope Davidson would at least be ready for 200 PA against LHP. Not saying Davidson is only a platoon guy but he's a natural fit next to Conor for now and if he hits so much you have two good 3B then that's a great problem.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
If he can keep his OPS over .800, then he is a candidate to slide to 1B/DH next year.

No, you don't move guys that far down the defensive spectrum. If anything, you'd try him out in LF first. He's "only" -2.7 runs below average at 3B. That's not butchery, just below average. You take that from a guy that rakes, which against RHP, he does (wRC+ of 149!).

Edited by chitownsportsfan

No, you don't move guys that far down the defensive spectrum. If anything, you'd try him out in LF first. He's "only" -2.7 runs below average at 3B. That's not butchery, just below average. You take that from a guy that rakes, which against RHP, he does (wRC+ of 149!).

Even though LF is between 3B and 1B on the 'defensive spectrum,' not every 3B can move to LF. I'm not certain Gillaspie has the speed to be an adequate OF. Still, if he can manage an entire season and only be 2-3 runs below average at 3B, maybe you keep him there.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
Even though LF is between 3B and 1B on the 'defensive spectrum,' not every 3B can move to LF. I'm not certain Gillaspie has the speed to be an adequate OF. Still, if he can manage an entire season and only be 2-3 runs below average at 3B, maybe you keep him there.

I agree, IMO he needs to stay at 3B, his hitting there outweighs the below average defense.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
Gillaspie needs to learn to play some outfield.

Personally I think he needs to find the 10-15 HR that we saw from him last year.

With where baseball is going I don't mind guys who aren't putting up huge power numbers even at this position as long as they're doing a solid job of hitting, but man, 0 HR is pretty extreme.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
Personally I think he needs to find the 10-15 HR that we saw from him last year.

With where baseball is going I don't mind guys who aren't putting up huge power numbers even at this position as long as they're doing a solid job of hitting, but man, 0 HR is pretty extreme.

It's pretty incredible he's played 54 games now--1/3 of a baseball season's worth of games--and not hit one.

Really! Really! He has probably been our biggest positive surprise this year. He doesn't have a home run. Big deal! His slugging percentage is about sixty points higher this year. His ops is 140 points above last year(.832). His ops is better than everyone except Abreu. He is not an all or nothing option. I would bet if our whole team had his production it may lead the league. Yes, I would like his glove to improve but he is doing fine overall.

Wade Boggs anyone?

This occurred to me before I looked up Boggs' line at age 26.

Boggs.

1984 26 BOS AL 158 726 625 109 203 31 4 6 55 3 2 89 44 .325 .407 .416 .823 125 260 13 0 8 4 6

Gillaspie.

2014 26 CHW AL 54 223 204 24 69 19 2 0 27 0 1 16 29 .338 .381 .451 .832 130 92 3 0 0 3 0

I'm not suggesting he'll be Boggs going forward. But he also doesn't have the advantage of hitting in Fenway.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 06:33 PM)
Wade Boggs anyone?

This occurred to me before I looked up Boggs' line at age 26.

Boggs.

1984 26 BOS AL 158 726 625 109 203 31 4 6 55 3 2 89 44 .325 .407 .416 .823 125 260 13 0 8 4 6

Gillaspie.

2014 26 CHW AL 54 223 204 24 69 19 2 0 27 0 1 16 29 .338 .381 .451 .832 130 92 3 0 0 3 0

I'm not suggesting he'll be Boggs going forward. But he also doesn't have the advantage of hitting in Fenway.

Ha, wasn't there some poster here, oldsox or something that suggested some 26 year old dude in AA in the Sox system was the next wade boggs?

I like Dexter. Always have but that's not patting myself on the back because I have high hopes for every young player who makes the team and early on this season I was hoping he could hit .285 with 15-20 HR's. This version is OK too because his OBP is high too and will be on base for Abreu . Ideally if he continues to have nothing but doubles power I'd like to see him batting 2nd. I've seen he's an unselfish hitter. Check out how he tries to pull it when someone is on 2nd with less than 2 outs. A doubles hitter behind the lead off guy is something I like to see.