Mariners trade partners?

Feeky Magee

Jon Morosi @jonmorosi · 9m

Mariners would be in playoffs if postseason started today. They're expected to talk with White Sox if Dunn, Ramirez, Viciedo available.

Jon Morosi @jonmorosi · 7m

White Sox in last place now, and -- if they decide to sell -- have four bats to possibly move: Dunn, Beckham, Ramirez, Viciedo.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 06:56 PM)
Jon Morosi @jonmorosi · 9m

Mariners would be in playoffs if postseason started today. They're expected to talk with White Sox if Dunn, Ramirez, Viciedo available.

Jon Morosi @jonmorosi · 7m

White Sox in last place now, and -- if they decide to sell -- have four bats to possibly move: Dunn, Beckham, Ramirez, Viciedo.

there were some discussion in the preseason about a pit and of (dv) going to sea..... the offer was there

but the value of what sea was offering was not enuf......

according to mlb trade rumors.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 07:05 PM)
For Viciedo? Any of them that have a pulse.

back in the summer, they wanted (DV) for some reason the gm like DV and was hoping for

i beleive a pitcher...... it was i believe talk about beckham....

i know according to mlb.com sea has a interesting group of pitchers, a cat name tyler and some of positon

player in the high teens in their ranking.

but hey what the hell do i know. ;)

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 07:05 PM)
For Viciedo? Any of them that have a pulse.

Funny comment but not helpful. It just seems we want to give away the farm-cows and all- for nothing. I don't want to continue to slide backwards. You hope a trade will help both teams.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
back in the summer, they wanted (DV) for some reason the gm like DV and was hoping for

i beleive a pitcher...... it was i believe talk about beckham....

i know according to mlb.com sea has a interesting group of pitchers, a cat name tyler and some of positon

player in the high teens in their ranking.

but hey what the hell do i know. ;)

The rumor was that they offered Ackley for him, and Hahn countered with Franklin.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 07:15 PM)
The rumor was that they offered Ackley for him, and Hahn countered with Franklin.

i will take your word over my memory any day.

but wasn't there also a catcher involve from sea?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
Trade Viciedo while he has some meek semblance of value. They have so many LH DH types in Seattle I doubt they would look at Dunn.

Their DH options are RH - Hart and Montero though Smoak bats B if they choose to bring him back. Currently they are using Cole Gillespie as their DH.

Mariners 1B/DH this season:

Gillespie (RH) - .254/.315/.328 1HR 67 ABs

Hart (RH) - .209/.295/.353 5HR 139 ABs

Morrison (LH) - .221/.280/.426 4HR 68 ABs

Smoak (B) - .208/.282/.361 7 HR 216 ABs

So Dunn would be an upgrade for them.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)
i will take your word over my memory any day.

but wasn't there also a catcher involve from sea?

Probably talking about Montero, who is not a catcher any longer and is apparently only able to bat against lefties as a DH. Soooo limited value there.

Funny comment but not helpful. It just seems we want to give away the farm-cows and all- for nothing. I don't want to continue to slide backwards. You hope a trade will help both teams.

Totally serious. Eliminates salary obligations for the Sox. Would take the best prospect any team will offer for him.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
Franklin is a given if they trade Alexei.

A no-hit infielder is exactly what Sox don't need. Sox are loaded with MI prospect

sox need pitching c, and OF.

and players who can actually hit.

Mariners may have some good A or AA pitching they'd deal. But we don't need their AAA/ML players/prospects like Franklin or Ackley.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
A no-hit infielder is exactly what Sox don't need. Sox are loaded with MI prospect

Mariners may have some good A or AA pitching they'd deal. But we don't need their AAA/ML players/prospects like Franklin or Ackley.

Franklin has struggled at the MLB level, but he hit pretty well in the minors. I'd have no problem with him as part of a package.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 08:01 PM)

He's still only 23 years old with 400 MLB AB's. I'd say the jur is very much still out on him. That said, how many middle IF prospects can we have?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)

The problem is though, none of the Sox prospects are close to a lock at being able to stay at SS. Saladino has played there the most but probably isn't an everyday MLB guy. Ackley could slide into LF next season and you can hope that a change of scenery and Severson can pull the tools that made him a big time prospect out of him. I would have no problem taking Ackley, Smoak, and Franklin back in a deal depending on what the Sox are giving up, they are all buy low candidates and if one of them can put it together you made a steal.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
The problem is though, none of the Sox prospects are close to a lock at being able to stay at SS. Saladino has played there the most but probably isn't an everyday MLB guy. Ackley could slide into LF next season and you can hope that a change of scenery and Severson can pull the tools that made him a big time prospect out of him. I would have no problem taking Ackley, Smoak, and Franklin back in a deal depending on what the Sox are giving up, they are all buy low candidates and if one of them can put it together you made a steal.

Even with that though...it may well be that the only way we can find out whether any of the guys we have can stick as a major league SS is to play them at SS in the major leagues, maybe even for longer than a year. Sanchez and Saladino are both hitting well enough at Charlotte right now to be considered as getting a shot to hold down that position and it wouldn't be surprising for them to take a while to adapt to big league pitching. So, if you acquire another middle IF, that just makes it even harder to find playing time for those guys to see if they could hold down the position.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
And Franklin is lock? We have L Garcia to hit .220 and play SS. Why in the world would we want another one.

I'd much prefer A or AA prospects over prospects that are well on their way to being failed prospects.

Ackley? He can't hit either. We could put any of our prospects in the OF as well. "Steverson can fix 'em" prospects should be taken off waivers or in return for one of our Ackleys.

We have Abreu, so we trade for Smoak?

This is why deals are so hard to make. Franklin and Ackley are exactly who the Mariners want to trade for someone like Alexei. But who wants those guys?

that's why I say A or AA prospect with some ceiling, regardless of position. Don't need more junk in this organization.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
Franklin hit for power and overall OPS in the minors. They just rushed him up. He's only 23 and has time to get better.

And there are very few players that put up good offensive numbers in Seattle. Those are hitters that I would explore buying on the cheap as potential bounceback candidates.