Mariners trade partners?

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
Sure. If this was a player with a track record of being a good hitter I'd chalk it up to being a slump but when it's a player like Gordon it's more than likely regression to the mean. Hopefully I'm wrong and he's put something together but history suggests that this is more than just a slump.

One thing is for certain. We will find out.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I think Viciedo deserves a bigger leash than most people give him is because he came into this league at a young age with almost no plate discipline. Basically, we did him a huge disservice by bringing him up so early and forcing him to become a more selective hitter at the major league level. That's very difficult to accomplish and it makes sense why he has struggled like he has so far in his career. However, if you've watched him play this year you can see a much more patient approach at the plate. He's finally making some progress in this area and to not give the rest of his offensive game time to catch up to the adjustments he has made would be incredibly foolish IMO. No one is pushing him whatsoever and his value is obviously at an all-time low right now. Might as well give him the rest of 2014 before we sell him for pennies on the dollar, because it is possible for his offensive game to finally come together. The tools to be an impact hitter are clearly there.

It interests me that Tank has kept his plate discipline stat of main concern (O-Swing) to a much lower figure than he has in the past, yet his struggles have continued.

Given how low I would guess his trade value to be, I wouldn't trade him just to get next to nothing. On the other hand, past this season, I wouldn't promise him anything. If we can't get anyone better than him for LF/DH, he can have it. If we do, he has to fight his way into the lineup, primarily in platoon spot starts.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
Ya I've completely given up on Dayan or Gordon to ever be above average players. Hopefully one of them proves me wrong.

I know me, eminor3rd, and another poster here were never fans of Dayan. So he still hasn't and likely won't change that perception. Slayer on the other hand, I did like still. (speaking for myself) He can still be useful, but it's time to move on.