White Sox sign 4 on July 2 signing day

southsider2k5

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 08:08 AM)
Did Hahn spend the WSox entire International player signing allotment this year?

I don't think anyone knows that, outside the club. You can add up the bonuses for the 4-5 big ones that were announced last July and see how much headroom is left, but the little bonuses aren't published officially as far as I know. So it's kind of a question mark.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
I think it's safe to assume they were close but likely not over the threshold where they lose the ability to offer as much as possible.

my question is does signing int'l free agents, is that part of the allotment or is

it a typical free agent signing?

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
my question is does signing int'l free agents, is that part of the allotment or is

it a typical free agent signing?

It depends on the free agent and particularly how long they've played in their league. Don't know the exact age/playing time list, but a guy who has played as long as Abreu or Tanaka does not count against them, but a 21 year old from Cuba would.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
It depends on the free agent and particularly how long they've played in their league. Don't know the exact age/playing time list, but a guy who has played as long as Abreu or Tanaka does not count against them, but a 21 year old from Cuba would.

There are some stipulations, but typically if they are 23 years old and have played in a professional league, they aren't considered amateur players.

1) A player who is at least 23 years old and has played professional in a Cuban league for at least five seasons. (This is slightly different from the provision that was controlling during the 2013-14 international free agent signing period that allowed Cubans to sign as a professional free agent if they were at least 23 and had plied their trade for three seasons in a Cuban league.)

2) Similarly, a player who is at least 23 years old and has played as a professional in a league recognized by the MLB Commissioner’s office are also not considered amateurs.

3) A player who has previously signed a contract to play in MLB or the minors is not considered an amateur either.

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/viva-el-birdos...eur-free-agency