White Sox sign 4 on July 2 signing day

southsider2k5

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)
Where do you get that? No numbers reported yet on Mercedes. There are still quite a few more signings, I'm sure, since we still have some additional funds to divy out.

There are numbers out there on Mercedes. $950k.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
For those hoping that the Sox go over the caps, here are a few good reasons that they won't.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/04/amat...17-percent.html

All overages are taxed at 100 percent.

Exceed bonus pool by 5 to 10 percent: Team is not allowed to sign a player for more than $500K in the following international signing period.

Exceed by 10 to 15 percent: Team is not allowed to sign a player for more than $300K in the following international signing period.

Exceed by more than 15 percent: Team is not allowed to sign a player for more than $300K in the following two international signing periods.

Yanks won't be signing any top picks next year.

Good haul for the White Sox this year, who are becoming major players international market thanks to Marco Paddy and his staff of scouts in Latin America, which is one of the moves that I think brought the team into the 21st century in terms of player development side of things.

The team spread their money around and signed 4 players with high ceilings which brings more talent to the farm and they still have close to a million dollars left to spend. Yeah I would love to see the Sox splurge on guys like Micker Adolfo or Gilber Lara (Who went for $3.1 Million with the Brewers and who I believe to have been the best player available.) every year, but I liked that they were able to spread their money out and bring in a group of solid players instead of bringing in one elite player and a bunch of lower level prospects and they're probably going to sign a couple of those low tier guys with that remaining $923,000.

Very good haul this year, and the future of the team continues to look brighter.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 07:09 PM)
It's actually pretty smart of them because I feel most people don't think it will be 3 more years until there is an international draft in place, so the Yankees probably won't even serve their 2 year penalty anyway.

I completely agree

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 07:56 PM)
Not a fan of the idea of an international draft, I think that there is nothing wrong with the system that is in place.

When teams can abuse the system at the expense of the teams that play by the rules there is something inherently wrong in the system. International draft makes perfect sense, gets rid of the abuses of the system, distributes talent evenly across the leagues, and helps remove some of the corruption in the process.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
When teams can abuse the system at the expense of the teams that play by the rules there is something inherently wrong in the system. International draft makes perfect sense, gets rid of the abuses of the system, distributes talent evenly across the leagues, and helps remove some of the corruption in the process.

Here's the thing though, the Yankees might well not be abusing the system. There's some pretty severe penalties coming for dumping everything they had into this year.

Why is the Int'l signing age set so low? Most are just 17. you know what I mean. Teams are throwing money around as if they have their own printing presses to kids still in high school, assuming they go to school at all. For most, they won't even be ready for low Rookie League for at least two years.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
Why is the Int'l signing age set so low? Most are just 17. you know what I mean. Teams are throwing money around as if they have their own printing presses to kids still in high school, assuming they go to school at all. For most, they won't even be ready for low Rookie League for at least two years.

I think the problem here is the assumption that they're in high school.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
July 2 signing bonuses for the new @whitesox Nunez $900k Alfaro $750k Mota $750k Mercedes $950k = $3.35 million spent so far. $923,200 left.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 08:21 PM)

SSS apparently had it wrong. Good news for Sox fans.

Nunez 900K, Alfaro 750K, Mota 750K, Mercedes 250K, $2.65 million spent, leaves $1,623,200 for either late bloomers, smaller signings, or young Cubans.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 07:58 AM)
What is left to spend on? That is the question.

If nothing left, then that is Sox fault for not getting more aggressive on other players. I'm not going to give them an excuse for missing the boat. They had a lot of resources for once and should have used them. Talent accumulation is the name of the game and this was a rare instance where the Sox had a large pool and I expect the organization to use that pool. The fact that we signed so few top 30 guys despite having such a large pool is a total disappointment.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
If nothing left, then that is Sox fault for not getting more aggressive on other players. I'm not going to give them an excuse for missing the boat. They had a lot of resources for once and should have used them. Talent accumulation is the name of the game and this was a rare instance where the Sox had a large pool and I expect the organization to use that pool. The fact that we signed so few top 30 guys despite having such a large pool is a total disappointment.

The Yankees really destroyed a lot of teams plans.