Some phrases need official retiring.

Jerksticks

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 03:01 PM)
I spend money on merchandise, I spend money to attend games, I invest time to watch on TV. I can say we all I want. Im invested in my favorite teams, there is nothing wrong with using "we" in reference.

I concur.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
Yeah, I don't have a problem with it either. People say "We" in talking about what the US Government or military should do all the time too.

Probably because they actually are the "we." You're not a White Sox but you are an American. Truly an abortion of a comparison.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)
Probably because they actually are the "we." You're not a White Sox but you are an American. Truly an abortion of a comparison.

I don't make decisions that affect the country. I am not in that group. In fact, I've yet to ever invade a country, to the best of my sober knowledge.

That comparison just got a C-section.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)
I don't make decisions that affect the country. I am not in that group. In fact, I've yet to ever invade a country, to the best of my sober knowledge.

So you hit HR's and shag flyballs for the White Sox? Tremendous logic being displayed here.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)

You can vote, so you can make decision that affects the country. sort of

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)
You can vote, so you can make decision that affects the country. sort of

Well we can buy tickets/merchandise that gives more revenue to our teams owner and that kind of sort of affects decisions too, no?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
I pay for games with the Sox, just like I pay taxes to the US.

The White Sox don't represent you and you're not a member of the organization. The government is comprised of fellow citizens with public jobs which makes the comparison omparison, well... Stupid. As a citizen, you are the "we." As a fan of a private organization, you're not.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 04:09 PM)
The White Sox don't represent you and you're not a member of the organization. The government is comprised of fellow citizens with public jobs which makes the comparison omparison, well... Stupid. As a citizen, you are the "we." As a fan of a private organization, you're not.

That is an awful parsing.

Honestly, I can't understand why the we thing bothers people so much. It is like the old guy complaining about kids on his grass.

I basically view the we versus they thing as "did I realistically help the team accomplish their goals?" That answer is no.

Really, it doesn't bother me that much, but I prefer "they" versus "we." When people say "we signed Abreu!" I think it's goofy because it's like "no, 'we' didn't do s*** to sign Abreu," but I'm not going to ever make a big deal out of it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)
I basically view the we versus they thing as "did I realistically help the team accomplish their goals?" That answer is no.

Really, it doesn't bother me that much, but I prefer "they" versus "we." When people say "we signed Abreu!" I think it's goofy because it's like "no, 'we' didn't do s*** to sign Abreu," but I'm not going to ever make a big deal out of it.

Agreed about the context angle. I might say "we need a hit here", or "we need an out now", but the blanket "we" about everything White Sox, no.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
Agreed about the context angle. I might say "we need a hit here", or "we need an out now", but the blanket "we" about everything White Sox, no.

I do this too. I live in the moment, but in the grand scheme of things, no, I don't say it.

It even pisses me off at work when the following scenarios occur:

1: Overpaid VP in a pressed shirt arrives at a project meeting and tells us "We need to operate with a greater efficiency that best represents our customers' needs" where my typical response is "STFU and go man your spreadsheet. I'll write the code, dBag."

2: Project Manager asks "Where We Are" with a task or deliverable... Where we are? Well... you "work from home" so you are probably at the f***ing beach sipping a pina colada patronizing me from your iFruit smart phone while I'm sweating out here with my cubemate who had too much protein for lunch."

It goes both ways, people.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 04:49 PM)
It even pisses me off at work when the following scenarios occur:

1: Overpaid VP in a pressed shirt arrives at a project meeting and tells us "We need to operate with a greater efficiency that best represents our customers' needs" where my typical response is "STFU and go man your spreadsheet. I'll write the code, dBag."

2: Project Manager asks "Where We Are" with a task or deliverable... Where we are? Well... you "work from home" so you are probably at the f***ing beach sipping a pina colada patronizing me from your iFruit smart phone while I'm sweating out here with my cubemate who had too much protein for lunch."

It goes both ways, people.

The we with sports teams has always been weird for me. If you attend or attended a college, referring to their teams as we seems OK, but why are the White Sox we if you don't work for them? If you are a big fan of a band, you don't say we have a concert in Portland tonight, or our world tour has 70 dates. People would think you are missing some marbles.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
The we with sports teams has always been weird for me. If you attend or attended a college, referring to their teams as we seems OK, but why are the White Sox we if you don't work for them? If you are a big fan of a band, you don't say we have a concert in Portland tonight, or our world tour has 70 dates. People would think you are missing some marbles.

Living in a poorly educated, ass-backwards southern state, there aren't a lot of professional sports teams to root for. So, the inbred rednecks love to wear their State school's hoodies along with their duck dynasty hats and Wranglers. Talk about infuriating. You didnt f***ing go to college asshole, put away the college sweatshirt. I know what its like to be a college grad, and if you were one, you wouldn't support the college that calls and emails every damn day asking for donations when you have 75k in student loan debt.

Conclusion: people who wear college sweatshirts didnt go to college.