When Does Flowers Get Replaced As Everyday Catcher?

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
Neither. Started hot, cooled noticeably, now is roaring back again.

Also worth noting, just before his current hot streak, he was benched a couple games due to an unspecified "mental lapse", per manager Joel Skinner. Probably nothing, but thought I'd add that.

Presuming his D remains poor, any thought to switching positions to see if they can get something out of his hit tool?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
Even in a rebuild Flowers showed who and what he was last year. I was shocked when he wasn't non-tendered.

Last year he had the shoulder excuse. This year has shown that it maybe wasn't impacting his production that much, but it was probably a thing in the back of Hahn's mind - "You're rebuilding, if the right guy isn't there for the right price, give Flowers one last audition."

I was bummed when Saltalamacchia signed with Miami. Even as a regression candidate, they stole him.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)
Presuming his D remains poor, any thought to switching positions to see if they can get something out of his hit tool?

Not sure where. 1B is already very taken. DH is just best-other-hitter, and he's not likely got THAT good a hit tool (he is drawing more walks but still isn't terribly selective). I doubt he has the athleticism for anything else, and has been a catcher his whole career. Basically... I doubt it.

To answer this question, as soon as the white sox claim AJ off of waivers.

To be a bit technical here, claiming him off waivers means assuming his contract. There is zero chance that happens. Once he clears waivers, the Sox can pick him up, and Boston is on the hook for his entire salary minus the prorated veteran minimum.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 06:27 PM)
To be a bit technical here, claiming him off waivers means assuming his contract. There is zero chance that happens. Once he clears waivers, the Sox can pick him up, and Boston is on the hook for his entire salary minus the prorated veteran minimum.

It's not my money, so I don't give a s*** what they pay him. ;) I'd go to a game JUST BECAUSE he's back.

Tyler is actually hitting worse this year than last (58 wRC+ versus 59). Given the luckiness of the April he had, that is actually quite incredible. He's right about to have a triple slash all in the 2s too - .217/.274/.301. He's also officially at 0.0 fWAR.

Can't remember who it was that I bet that De Aza would hit at least 50 points better than Flowers from April 21st until the end of the season but since then De Aza is .256 (53 for 207) and Flowers is .169 (33 for 195).

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 08:31 PM)
Tyler is actually hitting worse this year than last (58 wRC+ versus 59). Given the luckiness of the April he had, that is actually quite incredible. He's right about to have a triple slash all in the 2s too - .217/.274/.301. He's also officially at 0.0 fWAR.

Can't remember who it was that I bet that De Aza would hit at least 50 points better than Flowers from April 21st until the end of the season but since then De Aza is .256 (53 for 207) and Flowers is .169 (33 for 195).

I've posted this before, his BABIP is still .348! Can you f***ing imagine how awful he'd if he had his career BABIP line of 290 coming into this year? Flowers is literally one of the worst hitters I have ever seen as a regular. I would have more confidence with 40 year old Omar Visquel coming through than Flowers right now.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 07:38 PM)
I've posted this before, his BABIP is still .348! Can you f***ing imagine how awful he'd if he had his career BABIP line of 290 coming into this year? Flowers is literally one of the worst hitters I have ever seen as a regular. I would have more confidence with 40 year old Omar Visquel coming through than Flowers right now.

T-Flo has put 144 balls into play this year, resulting in 49 hits. Applying a .290 BABIP to those balls put in play leaves him with 41.76 hits. Add his 5 homers, divide by his 249 at-bats, and a .290 BABIP would have left him with an average of .188.

Even assuming all 7 hits taken off him would have been singles, that still leaves Ordinary Luck Tyler Flowers with a triple slash of .188/.248/.273.