2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
By supplemental pick, do you mean international pool slotting? I thought you could only trade competitive balance picks and the like? Am I mistaken?

I mean the competitive balance picks that are awarded tomorrow, it would be a nice throw in for a deadline deal.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 08:46 AM)
Competitive Balance picks will be awarded at the lottery draft on Wednesday at 1 pm. Eligible teams are the Athletics, Brewers, Cardinals, D-backs, Indians, Marlins, Orioles, Padres, Pirates, Rays, Reds, Rockies and Royals. They are awarded to small market teams.

I feel like the Mets and White Sox are screwed here if the Cardinals, Royals, Rockies, Padres, and Athletics are eligible.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
I feel like the Mets and White Sox are screwed here if the Cardinals, Royals, Rockies, Padres, and Athletics are eligible.

Frankly, the Cubs too.

It doesn't make a lick of sense to me that teams in small markets get these picks as opposed to bad teams. It would be like if the Packers got an extra 3rd round pick every single season (although it would be the tits if the Bills got an extra 3rd every year)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
Frankly, the Cubs too.

It doesn't make a lick of sense to me that teams in small markets get these picks as opposed to bad teams. It would be like if the Packers got an extra 3rd round pick every single season (although it would be the tits if the Bills got an extra 3rd every year)

It would be nothing like that, because the NFL is a salary cap based league.

The financial edge the Cubs & Sox have over these "small market" teams is worth incredibly more than a competitive balance pick every other year. The problem with this system is when a small market owner decides he's going to spend like a big market owner, because then you have the Detroit Tigers.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 06:22 PM)
It would be nothing like that, because the NFL is a salary cap based league.

The financial edge the Cubs & Sox have over these "small market" teams is worth incredibly more than a competitive balance pick every other year. The problem with this system is when a small market owner decides he's going to spend like a big market owner, because then you have the Detroit Tigers.

But you'll note, the Tigers weren't in his list as getting compensatory picks.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
Bad example for this year, but they used to be eligible somehow. Point remains the same.

Replace Tigers with Cardinals. Cardinals are included and have been one of the most successful franchises in baseball the past 10 years. That said, given how much the draft is a crap shoot, I don't really think that the chance of one extra pick really equates to all that much in the grand scheme of tilting the balance.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 06:06 PM)
Replace Tigers with Cardinals. Cardinals are included and have been one of the most successful franchises in baseball the past 10 years. That said, given how much the draft is a crap shoot, I don't really think that the chance of one extra pick really equates to all that much in the grand scheme of tilting the balance.

There's no logical reason for either the Cardinals or the Tigers to receive competitive balance picks.

Edited by caulfield12

The results from the draft lottery:

Competitive Balance Round A

32. Marlins

33. Rockies

34. Cardinals

35. Brewers

36. Padres

37. Indians

Competitive Balance Round B - between rounds 2 and 3

Reds

Athletics

Mariners

Twins

Orioles

Diamondbacks

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 07:54 PM)
The results from the draft lottery:

Competitive Balance Round A

32. Marlins

33. Rockies

34. Cardinals

35. Brewers

36. Padres

37. Indians

Competitive Balance Round B - between rounds 2 and 3

Reds

Athletics

Mariners

Twins

Orioles

Diamondbacks

several problems I have is with Balt and Arz getting there, but the main one is Marlins. they tank with the salary

make all the profits and then get rewarded with a pick.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)
Crazy that the Cardinals get a pick as well. The Cardinals draw almost 3 million fans a year and have a media market that covers multiple states like Arkansas. Crazy.

that is one problem again I have but was waiting for another time to bring it up.

the question is, how do they determine who gets these picks. I am not saying giving picks is wrong, but how is

it determine.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 07:01 AM)
Crazy that the Cardinals get a pick as well. The Cardinals draw almost 3 million fans a year and have a media market that covers multiple states like Arkansas. Crazy.

Theo Epstein was complaining that the Cardinals got one, and I completely agree with him. They might be one of the best ran organizations ran in the league with a huge fan base, yet awarded picks like this.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)
that is one problem again I have but was waiting for another time to bring it up.

the question is, how do they determine who gets these picks. I am not saying giving picks is wrong, but how is

it determine.

Pool A is the smallest 15 markets.

Pool B is the teams from pool A plus the teams with the 10 lowest revenue pools (most are duplicative).

The Cardinals are just really well run and have a lot of diehard supporters for a team in a market of that size. St Louis is listed 58th in population in the US and is the second smallest city to have a baseball team, behind Cincinnati.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
Theo Epstein was complaining that the Cardinals got one, and I completely agree with him. They might be one of the best ran organizations ran in the league with a huge fan base, yet awarded picks like this.

They do more with less, they should not be penalized for operating efficiently.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 07:06 PM)

Don't you have to take into account that this pick can be traded though? I think that could be a pretty big add to any trades that you might not previously had been able to make.

• 3 weeks later...

Sox have made it up to tenth, so they are in protected pick territory. Sounds like a deep class of HS OF and some more pretty good HS pitching in next years draft. Nix and Aiken may also be available again based on rumors that they may be looking at going to a juco together.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
Sox have made it up to tenth, so they are in protected pick territory. Sounds like a deep class of HS OF and some more pretty good HS pitching in next years draft. Nix and Aiken may also be available again based on rumors that they may be looking at going to a juco together.

I may be wrong, but I believe a player must go to a juco for 1 or 2 years to be draft eligible again

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)

Top 11 are protected.

I have been busy with school and work, and I promised these write ups, so I am going to post a few at a time and then go back and add them to a bigger topic thread.

I know I promised you guys some write ups on some players for the 2015 draft, but I have been extremely busy with school and work. I am going to make a seperate thread for these, but Im going to post these here just to get the ball rolling.

Here are my three favorite players for the draft...

Daz Cameron, OF (6'1, 180lbs, R/R)

Daz Cameron is probably my favorite in this upcoming draft class, and if I were a team with the #1 overall pick, I would easily take him first overall. The guys is an absolute tool shed (Hit-6, Power - 5, Glove - 6, Speed - 6, Arm - 6), he employs a very short and compact swing and combines that with explosive bat speed and solid, repeatable mechanics which allows him to make consistent hard contact. His speed makes him a serious threat on the basepaths. Above average arm strength, and should play in CF at the major league level. The son of former Sox outfielder, Mike Cameron. Pro Comps: Andrew McCutchen, Jacoby Ellsbury, Bryon Buxton and that one guy who wears 27 for the angels

Kyle Tucker, OF (6'4, 175lbs, L/R)

Kyle Tucker is an outfielder from Florida. He has a very wiry and athletic build, which offers some projection down the line. Right now he plays CF, but he projects better in a corner outfield spot in the majors. While he is a freak athlete, Tucker can flat out hit with his smooth lefty swing. His low hand load allows him to generate electric bat speed. Like Cameron, he is a true 5 tool player, and he projects to be a run producing slugger at the next level. Pro Comps: Grady Sizemore, Josh Hamilton, Matt Kemp.

Justin Hooper, LHP (6'7, 225lbs)

Justin Hooper is a starting pitcher from the state of California. Hoopers is an intimidating frame on the mound, he stands close to 6'8 and has a high waisted body with very long limbs. He throws from a 3/4 arm slot with limited arm action. He uses his length to his advantage, as he gets a good extension after his long strides. Very balanced on the mound and has a good downhill plain and has shown the ability to repeat his delivery. Right now he can reach 95 on the gun with his fastball, and is developing good off speed stuff as well. Fastball offers late movement, especially on the left side of the plate, curveball as late movement and hits the mid to high 70s and his changeup is his least developed pitch and hits the low to mid 80s. He has the change to be a elite starting pitcher in the ML. Pro Comps: Noah Syrengaard, Madison Bumgarner.

I have more saved in a document somewhere, but when I'm free expect to see more.