2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 11:37 AM)
Law just posted his final mock draft for insiders. If anyone can see that and cares to post that. Greatly appreciated.

He has the White Sox taking Fulmer with Jay on the board. Swanson at 1, Bregman at 2, Rodgers at 3. He has Texas going under slot with Trenton Clark, Houston taking Benintendi at 5, and Happ 6 to Boston. Jay 9th to the Cubs.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/mock/...-Law-Mock-Draft

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 11:43 AM)
He has the White Sox taking Fulmer with Jay on the board. Swanson at 1, Bregman at 2, Rodgers at 3. He has Texas going under slot with Trenton Clark, Houston taking Benintendi at 5, and Happ 6 to Boston. Jay 9th to the Cubs.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/mock/...-Law-Mock-Draft

While Clark is a new one, the murmurs about the other 4 in the top 5 at those spots is getting pretty loud. Cant really be a coincidence.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
The thing with this draft is that there is no clear separation of talent between the 8th best player and the 25th best player, so if all things are equal and you can get a guy at a discount to allow you to grab some higher profile talent when you pick again, wouldn't that be the most logical course of action?

Sounds like Jay is now starting today at 3.

Sox have been awful when drafting on the cheap and saving a few dollars. This is why the system is in the shambles it is in now. Sox cannot even call up a decent 4th OF.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
Sox have been awful when drafting on the cheap and saving a few dollars. This is why the system is in the shambles it is in now. Sox cannot even call up a decent 4th OF.

This hasn't been the truth for years now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
This hasn't been the truth for years now.

Only because of the change in 2012 CBA.............The saving money strategy was in full effect 2008 to 2012, it failed badly. Get the best guy at 8 and stop the discount nonsense. When a team in 2015 cannot even call up a 4th OF it shows how bad drafting has been.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)
Only because of the change in 2012 CBA.............The saving money strategy was in full effect 2008 to 2012, it failed badly. Get the best guy at 8 and stop the discount nonsense.

They haven't done this for years. Let it go.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)
Only because of the change in 2012 CBA.............The saving money strategy was in full effect 2008 to 2012, it failed badly. Get the best guy at 8 and stop the discount nonsense.

You realize you're yelling at a stopped train, telling it to stop. Right?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:04 PM)
They haven't done this for years. Let it go.

When I hear certain teams are looking to draft at a discount in the top ten, it is very relevent in today's discussion.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
When I hear certain teams are looking to draft at a discount in the top ten, it is very relevent in today's discussion.

None of those rumored teams have been the White Sox. Arizona, Houston, and the Cubs are the ones who are the prominent headliners. That would be the Cubs and Astros who also did this last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)
None of those rumored teams have been the White Sox. Arizona, Houston, and the Cubs are the ones who are the prominent headliners. That would be the Cubs and Astros who also did this last year.

We will see tonight until then nobody knows for sure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
Then why are you preemptively complaining about it?

Sox have a history of doing this. Sorry I do not trust this regime the track record is so great.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
With the Sox track record, I want them drafting pitchers until proven otherwise.

Haven't heard them mentioned at all in connection with Aiken but that would be a KW move, in my book. But all I hear about his TJ was that it wasn't a normal TJ, that there was something else as well, w/o specifics.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)
And Stephenson is exactly the type of hitter that the White Sox never develop. Big power with a lot of swing and miss potential in his game.

Just you havent had succes with a player like that doesn't mean you stop trying. Should the team avoid Lefty Power Bats because Adam Dunn was a failure? Etc

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:13 PM)
Sox have a history of doing this. Sorry I do not trust this regime the track record is so great.

It's been since at least 2006 that the team has gone materially underslot on their first round pick. That was 9 years ago. Since then, they've either been right around slot (give or take 5%) or over.

You aren't functioning within reality here.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)
The Astros went under slot in 2012 and drafted Correa at #1, McCullers in the 2nd, and Preston Tucker in the 5th. Often a sound strategy if there are similar players at the top.

Yes, but to lessen the talent of the #8 overall pick to be able to throw more money at a 4th round guy isn't that sound IMO, unless you have a guy rated high that no one else does and know they will sign cheap.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)
Haven't heard them mentioned at all in connection with Aiken but that would be a KW move, in my book. But all I hear about his TJ was that it wasn't a normal TJ, that there was something else as well, w/o specifics.

With the lack of solid info on Aiken, I have to put faith in the organization to do their research. If they don't pick him, they don't think he is worth the additional risk. Even if he works out down the road, I would be OK with that. Without a 2nd or 3rd round pick, having a bust for a 1st rounder would be a huge problem.