Rienzo optioned to AAA

Balta1701

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
You don't "use an option" on a guy when you bring him up. You use an option year when he is on the 40-man roster and assigned to the minors at any point during the season. So Sanchez has already burned an option year this year and no amount of bringing him up and sending him down affects that.

Thank you for the clarification. My apologies.

Question - where do Carlos Sanchez and Micah Johnson fall into the minor league rankings of IF prospects?

I had heard Jim Callis say he thinks he'll become any everyday/solid MLB player, but, as fans, are we setting up ourselves for a fall if these guys are just average players?

Granted, we may need both of these guys in the near future with Ramirez being a free agent and Beckham being Beckham, and our minor league system does need to produce lower cost options....

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
Question - where do Carlos Sanchez and Micah Johnson fall into the minor league rankings of IF prospects?

I had heard Jim Callis say he thinks he'll become any everyday/solid MLB player, but, as fans, are we setting up ourselves for a fall if these guys are just average players?

Granted, we may need both of these guys in the near future with Ramirez being a free agent and Beckham being Beckham, and our minor league system does need to produce lower cost options....

Ramirez is under contract atleast another year iirc

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)

Micah Johnson is ranked 3rd among MiLB 2nd basemen and Carlos Sanchez is not ranked in the top 10 but that's understandable.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
Ramirez is under contract atleast another year iirc

Thanks for correcting me. I had been under the impression now for awhile that he was a free agent after this season. I would hope that would add some value to his stock.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)
Thanks for correcting me. I had been under the impression now for awhile that he was a free agent after this season. I would hope that would add some value to his stock.

He is under contract for 2015 and has an option for 2016. The 2016 option is pricey (>$10 million) but if he continues performing like this it would likely be picked up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
He is under contract for 2015 and has an option for 2016. The 2016 option is pricey (>$10 million) but if he continues performing like this it would likely be picked up.

It's not terribly expensive with all things considered.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 06:10 PM)

After todays debacle is it too early to say "LET'S TRADE SANCHEZ." "HE IS WAY OVERHYPED!" :lol:

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 10:10 PM)
After todays debacle is it too early to say "LET'S TRADE SANCHEZ." "HE IS WAY OVERHYPED!" :lol:

His minor league stats this year are pretty good, 42 RBIs. Man, he looked shorter than 5-11 during today's game though. Remember that shortstop the Sox had years ago who was 5-foot-6? I forget his name.