Ozzie wants back in Sox family

southsider2k5

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 05:59 PM)
I knew this would be a Cowley article.

I don't think Ozzie should ever manage the White Sox again, but the other stuff? Why not? He was just as bad if not worse on his way out the door as a player and no one remembered that. Just as long as he doesn't bring Cowley with him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 07:06 PM)
I don't think Ozzie should ever manage the White Sox again, but the other stuff? Why not? He was just as bad if not worse on his way out the door as a player and no one remembered that. Just as long as he doesn't bring Cowley with him.

As long as Ozzie doesn't do any on field activities, like managing, or coaching I wouldn't have a problem with him having some kind of "job" in the organization.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 06:09 PM)
As long as Ozzie doesn't do any on field activities, like managing, or coaching I wouldn't have a problem with him having some kind of "job" in the organization.

I really wouldn't mind him coaching. He was a great 3rd base coach. He shouldn't be in a position to give daily press conferences. I do think the Castro stuff was taken out of context. It was dumb to say, but he actually said the exact same thing a couple of years earlier, and crickets.

Ozzie was a lot if good, and some bad. I think he has learned from his mistakes. He will still say stupid things, but i really think he has been humbled.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 06:14 PM)
I really wouldn't mind him coaching. He was a great 3rd base coach. He shouldn't be in a position to give daily press conferences. I do think the Castro stuff was taken out of context. It was dumb to say, but he actually said the exact same thing a couple of years earlier, and crickets.

Ozzie was a lot if good, and some bad. I think he has learned from his mistakes. He will still say stupid things, but i really think he has been humbled.

Now that is funny.

The last season of Ozzie Guillen left a bad taste in my mouth for the entire White Sox organization which I still haven't totally gotten over. The man basically quit on the team during a pennant race and began flirting with the Marlins with a wink and a nod from JR.

Also during his final few seasons it seemed as if he would make baseball decisions more to spite KW than for the good of the team's on field performance.

Ozzie is full of himself and has always been about Ozzie. He did a great job managing the Sox his first two or three seasons but he did more bad than good after that. I would cringe if JR lets him get away with all the stuff he pulled and lets him back into the organization again.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 06:54 PM)
He owes the Sox organization and fans an apology for how he just threw a tantrum and quit

He threw a tantrum and whined that he couldn't honor his contract and manage without an extension. JR gave him his extension and then he arranged to manage the Marlins and quit on the Sox during a pennant race.

Forget him.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 06:33 PM)
The last season of Ozzie Guillen left a bad taste in my mouth for the entire White Sox organization which I still haven't totally gotten over. The man basically quit on the team during a pennant race and began flirting with the Marlins with a wink and a nod from JR.

Also during his final few seasons it seemed as if he would make baseball decisions more to spite KW than for the good of the team's on field performance.

Ozzie is full of himself and has always been about Ozzie. He did a great job managing the Sox his first two or three seasons but he did more bad than good after that. I would cringe if JR lets him get away with all the stuff he pulled and lets him back into the organization again.

No kidding, I don't think he's grown up at all or is a changed man he's just desperate for work and kissing ass to try and get some. Screw Ozzie, he did some good for the org and wiped it all out when he quit on the team and threw everyone under the bus on the way out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)

I think he has learned from his mistakes. He will still say stupid things, but i really think he has been humbled.

Now that is funny.

Some people need to get burned more than once before they realize that the stove is hot. I can imagine that as he was leaving Chicago towards the end of 2011 his ego was so peaking; for some reason (KW) he felt under-appreciated in Chicago, so naturally, the fact that another team wanted him enough to trade for him and subsequently throw money and years at him vindicated those feelings. When that same team wanted him out (enough to eat the rest of his deal) just one season later, that's a pie in the face. I don't think that it's a stretch to say that he took a long look in the mirror and concluded that maybe he should have done things differently.

I'd be happy to have him back in the organization.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
Now that is funny.

Some people need to get burned more than once before they realize that the stove is hot. I can imagine that as he was leaving Chicago towards the end of 2011 his ego was so peaking; for some reason (KW) he felt under-appreciated in Chicago, so naturally, the fact that another team wanted him enough to trade for him and subsequently throw money and years at him vindicated those feelings. When that same team wanted him out (enough to eat the rest of his deal) just one season later, that's a pie in the face. I don't think that it's a stretch to say that he took a long look in the mirror and concluded that maybe he should have done things differently.

I'd be happy to have him back in the organization.

He did the exact same thing when he left as a player. It didn't change him one little bit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 11:20 AM)
He did the exact same thing when he left as a player. It didn't change him one little bit.

It was worse when he left as a player, but many, including you, had a very positive view of Ozzie when he returned, for several years.

Ozzie, like Ditka, bought the hype. He was thought to be some uneducated genius, but that turned out not to be true.

I really think he realizes he screwed up. I would never make him the manager, but I think he would be fine in a lesser role, one where if the Sox ever won again, no one besides Cowley and Ozzie's family would say he was the reason they won. That should keep him in check.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
It was worse when he left as a player, but many, including you, had a very positive view of Ozzie when he returned, for several years.

Ozzie, like Ditka, bought the hype. He was thought to be some uneducated genius, but that turned out not to be true.

I really think he realizes he screwed up. I would never make him the manager, but I think he would be fine in a lesser role, one where if the Sox ever won again, no one besides Cowley and Ozzie's family would say he was the reason they won. That should keep him in check.

And guess what, we were all wrong, as proven by Ozzie himself. He wasn't humbled. He is looking for a job, and will say anything to get it. There isn't a doubt in my mind that the pattern of his life would repeat itself again once he was slighted in his own mind.

He sure didn't realize he screwed up as a player. I can't see him getting it at 50something years old now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
And guess what, we were all wrong, as proven by Ozzie himself. He wasn't humbled. He is looking for a job, and will say anything to get it. There isn't a doubt in my mind that the pattern of his life would repeat itself again once he was slighted in his own mind.

He sure didn't realize he screwed up as a player. I can't see him getting it at 50something years old now.

I think circumstances led to his demise. If the Sox don't win the World Series, Ozzie, who isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, isn't subjected to the constant butt kissing, and praise and talk about his genius. He doesn't get into the war of egos with KW.

He isn't educated. He isn't very bright. IMO, he is the easiest type to get caught up into the hype. It's one reason I find it incredible DRose has never gotten a huge head.

One thing if I were making decisions I could never get past, was his putting trying to embarrass KW over winning. (Not that I don't think KW didn't deserve to be knocked down a couple of pegs) But a lot of players liked him. Start out small, maybe a Soxfest appearance, spring training instructor. See how those go. If he returns to what he was when he left, pull the plug, but if he is willing to toe the line, he could be an asset.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 12:19 PM)
I think circumstances led to his demise. If the Sox don't win the World Series, Ozzie, who isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, isn't subjected to the constant butt kissing, and praise and talk about his genius. He doesn't get into the war of egos with KW.

He isn't educated. He isn't very bright. IMO, he is the easiest type to get caught up into the hype. It's one reason I find it incredible DRose has never gotten a huge head.

One thing if I were making decisions I could never get past, was his putting trying to embarrass KW over winning. (Not that I don't think KW didn't deserve to be knocked down a couple of pegs) But a lot of players liked him. Start out small, maybe a Soxfest appearance, spring training instructor. See how those go. If he returns to what he was when he left, pull the plug, but if he is willing to toe the line, he could be an asset.

Ozzie is like an alcoholic. He will fall back into the same patterns and behaviors when times get tough. He always has acted this way. If he was willing to toe the line, he'd still be the White Sox manager... or the Marlins manager. This might change him for today, but his history dictates that once he gets back in, the cycle will repeat itself.