The Curious Case of Mark Buehrle

Leonard Zelig

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Buehrle can pitch 5 or 6 more seasons at somewhere near his career averages, and with his style I believe he can, here would be his all time ranks in some key categories:

Wins: 260 - 280 (41st - 32nd)

Innings Pitched: 4000 - 4300 (41st - 34th)

Strikeouts: 2300 - 2500 (48th - 41st)

bWAR: 70 - 80 (30th - 27th)

While his rate stats aren't the greatest, part of that can be attested to pitching at the Cell most of his career. Believe it or not, Buehrle has a better WHIP and ERA+ than Tom Glavine who was a shoe-in this year.

Voters also like a player to have his memorable moments and Buehrle has those in spades. A perfect game, a no hitter, the consecutive batters retired record, being part of the 4 consecutive complete games in the ALCS, the relief appearance and save a day after starting in the World Series and others. Those things stick in the minds of voters. He also never had any off the field issues to hurt him.

When you combine all that with his 4+ Gold Gloves, 5+ All-Star appearances, the World Series ring, the 13+ consecutive seasons of 200 IP, and the 14+ consecutive seasons of 10+ wins, there is an argument to made for him being in the Hall of Fame. Now I personally don't think he gets there unless he hangs on long enough to make a serious run at 300, but I do think that anybody that immediately scoffs at the idea of Buehrle as a HOFer really needs to take another look at his resume.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
If Buehrle can pitch 5 or 6 more seasons at somewhere near his career averages, and with his style I believe he can, here would be his all time ranks in some key categories:

While his rate stats aren't the greatest, part of that can be attested to pitching at the Cell most of his career. Believe it or not, Buehrle has a better WHIP and ERA+ than Tom Glavine who was a shoe-in this year.

Voters also like a player to have his memorable moments and Buehrle has those in spades. A perfect game, a no hitter, the consecutive batters retired record, being part of the 4 consecutive complete games in the ALCS, the relief appearance and save a day after starting in the World Series and others. Those things stick in the minds of voters. He also never had any off the field issues to hurt him.

When you combine all that with his 4+ Gold Gloves, 5+ All-Star appearances, the World Series ring, the 13+ consecutive seasons of 200 IP, and the 14+ consecutive seasons of 10+ wins, there is an argument to made for him being in the Hall of Fame. Now I personally don't think he gets there unless he hangs on long enough to make a serious run at 300, but I do think that anybody that immediateyl scoffs at the idea of Buehrle as a HOFer really needs to take another look at his resume.

This is exactly what I wanted to say but I didn't have the time to write it all up. A Hall resume needs peak and longevity. He'll never have the peak but when he retires, he could have some longevity accomplishments that just don't happen.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)

When you combine all that with his 4+ Gold Gloves, 5+ All-Star appearances, the World Series ring, the 13+ consecutive seasons of 200 IP, and the 14+ consecutive seasons of 10+ wins, there is an argument to made for him being in the Hall of Fame. Now I personally don't think he gets there unless he hangs on long enough to make a serious run at 300, but I do think that anybody that immediately scoffs at the idea of Buehrle as a HOFer really needs to take another look at his resume.

Maybe getting out of Chicago was necessary for the rest of the country to really see how good Mark is. It seems like he just started getting recognized towards the end of his tenure here & he seems to be getting a lot more love now in Toronto & playing against the AL East.

Mark could easily be one of those "grow on you" guys that take a few tries but eventually will get in. It might take him 5-6 ballots but if he pitches long enough he will have a chance. He's definitely not a guy who will magically disappear from the ballot in a year or two.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
Maybe getting out of Chicago was necessary for the rest of the country to really see how good Mark is. It seems like he just started getting recognized towards the end of his tenure here & he seems to be getting a lot more love now in Toronto & playing against the AL East.

Mark could easily be one of those "grow on you" guys that take a few tries but eventually will get in. It might take him 5-6 ballots but if he pitches long enough he will have a chance. He's definitely not a guy who will magically disappear from the ballot in a year or two.

I think it has more to do with having arguably the best season of his career at age 35. Nobody cares about what happens in Toronto either.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
Eh I love Mark but putting him in the hall would kind of be a joke.

Not many pitchers will be making the Hall of the Fame in the future. Careers cut short by injuries. We all know what happens to closers. They only last a few years, so forget them. That leaves starters and hardly any remain dominant more than a handful of years. Ever Verlander has turned to mediocre.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
Buehrle is my favorite White Sox ever and one of, if not, the best pitcher in franchise history. He will always be a member of the White Sox and this awesome article deserves being in PHT for all Sox fans to see. I hope one day he wins #300 with the Sox and he ends up having another 5-7 year successful run on the southside!!!

This sums up exactly what I would have posted.

Buehrle is the only former Sox player that I've ever actively kept up with after leaving the team. When he was with Miami, I went to a Tuesday night Braves-Marlins game solely because I wanted to watch him pitch. I hope he keeps kicking ass and like Jason said, to end up back in a Sox uniform to pick up #300.