Red Sox to sign Rusney Castillo

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
Cuban rocket?

Can't call him the missile, and I'm not sure Cuba has any jets, maybe the Soviets gave them some a long time ago & they've been converted to run for short (>10min) flights from recycled beach garbage.

Oh, this hurts. :angry: Just kidding!

When the Soviet aid stopped flowing to Cuba, the disassembled all the tanks and old MiG-17 and 21. I always thought, is this how we are going to fight the imperialist Yankees? By the time we start putting these weapons back together, we will be annihilated. I always thought I would run like the Italian army in WWII or the Iraqis. in the first Gulf War. I would have taken refuge in the countryside because I am not Hero.

As for Rusney, he should be good for MLB. I really like him. Good speed and some pop. Good teammate too.

Edited by Cubano

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 08:07 PM)
Wonder how much Despaigne will fetch on the open market, when/if he's declared eligible...?

By all accounts, he's the best, most-polished hitter out there among the Cubans. Moncada is the most interesting younger prospect, along with Tomas.

Frederich Cepeda at 34/35 is just a bit too old.

Gourriel's closing in on too old, although there would still be a lot of legit interest if he ever became available.

Despaigne hasn’t defected yet, but he will be playing in Japan. MLB said it does not have an agreement to honor Mexican League suspensions so that shouldn't be an issue once he decides to defect. He'll be 28 to start next season.

Tomas reminds me of Juan Rivera and Castillo has been described as Brett Gardner with more power, with the ability to play RF.

I would love for the sox to go after Despaigne if he decides to defect and post for right handed starting pitcher Kenta Maeda who appears to be a #3 starter, similar to Anibal Sanchez; he'll be 27 at the beginning of next season. Maeda would slot very nicely: Sale, Maeda, Quintana, Noesi, Rodon with Johnson if he can get back on track and Danish and Montas off in the distance. Three top of the rotation lefthanders, a #3 that is young and won't cost a compensation pick and fits nicely with our window and a #5 that might have the ability to develop under our pitching coach and turn it around to a mid tier starter. Sign me up

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 07:45 AM)
From everything I read, it does not seem like Depsaigne has any interest in playing in the US. His family is supposedly very involved in the Cuban government. Despaigne is heading to Japan next I believe as part of the loosening of restrictions to allow Cuban players to play in other countries.

Moacada unfortunately will end up with the Yankees as he counts against the international signing bonus limit and they will not likely have much competition.

The Cuban gov. sent Cespy's mother to Venezuela. I think that when she opened her eyes and told him it is time to leave. Many children of government are leaving and even live in the USA. Contreras dedicated some of his performances to el Comandante. Therefore, I would not put much into it. The USA $ is a strong reason to change people's mind.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 09:37 PM)
their local economy would never be able to support something like that. however, I wonder if US had normal

relations cuba could become the next vegas and maybe with the tourist number, it might help out, but still

to fully support ...... nope.

like you said maybe exhibition games and such.

Puerto Rico is broke. Many Puerto Ricans are leaving the island.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)
Oh, this hurts. :angry: Just kidding!

When the Soviet aid stopped flowing to Cuba, the disassembled all the tanks and old MiG-17 and 21. I always thought, is this how we are going to fight the imperialist Yankees? By the time we start putting these weapons back together, we will be annihilated. I always thought I would run like the Italian army in WWII or the Iraqis. in the first Gulf War. I would have taken refuge in the countryside because I am not Hero.

As for Rusney, he should be good for MLB. I really like him. Good speed and some pop. Good teammate too.

Rusney seems like he's going to be a good pick-up for a team. Not overly hyped. Kind of has the feeling of Alexei and some of the other cubans that didn't get as much hype but might end up turning into a pretty darn good player. Some nice tools and while he won't be a star, there is nothing wrong with a guy that could be a super utility guy who might just surprise you and end up being able to start.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
I would prefer Yasmani Tomas as he would fit the corner outfield profile that the Sox need to fill opposite of Garcia.

Ton of power. Like to see him against Cespy in the HR Derby. Tomas won the last Derby in Cuba where he put a show.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
Rusney seems like he's going to be a good pick-up for a team. Not overly hyped. Kind of has the feeling of Alexei and some of the other cubans that didn't get as much hype but might end up turning into a pretty darn good player. Some nice tools and while he won't be a star, there is nothing wrong with a guy that could be a super utility guy who might just surprise you and end up being able to start.

He will get 40 or 50 M. Maybe your city rivals will go fishing.

Cubano is back!

I'm on board with any of the Cuban players really. They're just smarter it seems, they know the game better from playing competitively. And some of the athletes over there are just awesome. If Rusney is a legit top end athlete who knows the game and plays it well... f*** the lefty/righty crap, just sign him. Probably will be pretty expensive though.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
Cubano is back!

I'm on board with any of the Cuban players really. They're just smarter it seems, they know the game better from playing competitively. And some of the athletes over there are just awesome. If Rusney is a legit top end athlete who knows the game and plays it well... f*** the lefty/righty crap, just sign him. Probably will be pretty expensive though.

I think it's less about them being "smarter" in general and more about the fact that it's the cream of the crop that leaves to come over here.

I have no problem compiling talent regardless of type, but if the price is painful, Hahn's comments make more sense. Sure, we'd add another right-handed CF type and be happy, but he becomes less of a fit if it's money that could be spent on a player-type that we need more.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 03:50 PM)
I think it's less about them being "smarter" in general and more about the fact that it's the cream of the crop that leaves to come over here.

I have no problem compiling talent regardless of type, but if the price is painful, Hahn's comments make more sense. Sure, we'd add another right-handed CF type and be happy, but he becomes less of a fit if it's money that could be spent on a player-type that we need more.

The differences between Cubans who come up playing organized games competitively and your average prospect who comes up through the buscone system are night and day IMO. If you tell me on paper that I could have 2 SS, equal quality roughly with the bat, pretty equal in tools/ability on defense, and one came up through the DR and the other is from Cuba I take the Cuban 10 times out of 10.

Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo put on a showcase yesterday that was ultimately said to be watched by scouts from 28 of the league’s 30 clubs, according to Walter Villa of Baseball America, who provides a robust account of the day.

While scouts offered slightly differing takes, as might be expected, the workout did little to dampen the growing hype surrounding Castillo. At the dish, Castillo showed surprising power and swung well against live pitching from Nate Carter (a D-II closer). His speed rated as anywhere from very good to outstanding and he showed an average big league arm from the outfield (“his weakest tool,” according to one scout). Though Castillo looked promising enough at short, Villa says that his future still seems to lie in the outfield, where he may be capable of manning center.

All in all, Castillo seems to have left the impression that he is a major league talent. It remains to be seen how his market will develop, but Andy Martino of the New York Post notes that the Yankees had four eyes in the stands, with the Red Sox sending five. Agent Brodie Van Wagenen said that he believes “a lot of teams may view [Castillo] as a trade-deadline-type acquisition, and that he could be playing in a pennant race in September.”

Given the 27-year-old’s wide potential market, and the fact that he might be a contributor for a contender, the bidding will be fascinating to watch. One scout tells Martino that he thinks Castillo will land between $25MM and $35MM, while another said that he could reach Yasiel Puig territory ($42MM), even if he is not viewed as that level of talent.

This is how I see it playing out. Reinsdorf went wild on Abreu. He is seeing how great of an investment that was. The White Sox have a lot of flexibility next year. If they can shed Danks or Dunn while eating some of their salaries, I can see Reinsdorf giving the green light for a big contract offer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
I believe I heard stone talking about him yesterday late in the game.

He was, fairly glowingly.

I'd sit this one out though. I think there's going to be a bit of an overreaction to teams missing out on Abreu.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
He was, fairly glowingly.

I'd sit this one out though. I think there's going to be a bit of an overreaction to teams missing out on Abreu.

IIRC there was a similar conversation about Abreu late last year during a game.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
This is going to be a two horse race between the Red Sox and Yankees for his services......

I guess my earlier estimate of what he will go for was way too low considering so many teams sent people to see him. I still say even if he signs for Puig money he won't be worth it.

Even if the money's in the Puig/Cespedes/Abreu area...his projection as a big leaguer is closer to a Leonys Martin than a superstar.

It would be one thing if he could play SS, but on the White Sox, he'd have to play LF or RF, and that would take away quite a bit of his value playing at USCF.

Moving a Cuban player from the outfield to the infield wouldn’t be a first, either. During Alexei Ramirez‘s final two seasons in Cuba, he played primarily center field for Pinar Del Rio, with just four innings in two years at shortstop, though he did play a little bit of second and third base. The White Sox signed Ramirez and immediately made him their major league shortstop. While he struggled there initially (Ultimate Zone Rating on FanGraphs pegged him as a -8 defender, while Baseball Info Solutions’ Defensive Runs Saved has him at -10), he quickly became one of the best defensive shortstops in the American League. But Castillo has a more bulked-up body type and doesn’t have Ramirez’s fluid infield actions.

The White Sox, Mariners, Giants, Blue Jays, Cubs and Braves are other teams who have popped up as potential fits for Castillo, according to industry sources. Few teams are as comfortable in the Cuban market as the White Sox, who signed Ramirez, Dayan Viciedo and, of course, Jose Abreu to a six-year, $68 million contract this offseason. Having Cuban players won’t have any influence over where Castillo signs—money, as usual, will determine the winner. But Castillo fits the athletic mold that the White Sox’s scouts have targeted in the draft and the international level in recent years. With the White Sox getting a .674 OPS from their center fielders (21st in baseball), Castillo could help the White Sox upgrade their outfield for next season, along with the return of Avisail Garcia to right field, even if 2014 isn’t the year for them to contend.