Red Sox to sign Rusney Castillo

Jose Abreu

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)
Nava has been great over the years for the Red Sox. He was never supposed to be anything.

Sizemore was a break or bust and he busted to no one's (except Lillian) surprise.

BoSox seem to be going the Oakland path. They'll have Craig/Cespedes/JBJ/Castillo/Nava and (I assume) Ortiz for 3 OF spots and DH. Plus Betts with nowhere to play. I am sure it'll be another active offseason for them.

when bos is ready, they will have a surplus and the price for one of them will be a steep price to pay.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
First and foremost, you have to find some bullpen arms and the bright side is, if you are willing to try youngsters, you can probably poach some guys from other teams systems. Often times, those reliever prospects just aren't that tough to pull, if you want to find them. I don't expect them to spend a ton of money, however, I think we'll see a pretty busy off-season with one or two major trades (and by major, I don't mean getting superstar, but with club acquiring young cost controlled talent...possibly at the expense of other talent). Maybe we'll see a big FA signing but I would be surprised, presume we will wait and go bargain shopping in FA market.

I am in total agreement. however I feel as there are some enticing pieces in the fa market. however those question mark

where the option is the subject or should be, those options need to come to a end. the sox can make the pieces fit

when some decision are made. then there are some other options with the int'l free agents.

I say its the fa market b/c we don't have a deep system to trade from.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
when bos is ready, they will have a surplus and the price for one of them will be a steep price to pay.

I wouldn't buy high on any of them, honestly.

Not even Cespedes, because it would be dumb to control him for a year or less than a year. When/if he reaches FA, that's a different story.

Otoh, Victorino is the type of veteran player we need to help lead the youngsters, IF he can stay healthy, which is a huge if.

Finally, I'd try to steal Bradley but wouldn't be willing to give up Anderson/Hawkins/Montas for him. Just not a huge believer in Eaton being able to play a whole season without going on the DL for significant periods of time after what we've seen this year so far.

At 5 feet 9 inches and 205 pounds, Castillo is a righthanded hitter more reliant on speed than power, but he does have extra-base pop in his bat according to scouts who watched his showcase workout July 26 at the University of Miami. He also is solid defensively.

“Above-average speed. Can play center field or right field. What kind of power? What kind of average? Obviously our scouts liked him enough. That’s a significant investment,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell. “It’s an exciting athletic player by all accounts.”

The Red Sox held a private workout for Castillo in Florida on Aug. 1 attended by general manager Ben Cherington. The team was impressed and started working diligently to sign him.

Castillo’s contract, with an average annual value of $10.35 million, was heavily back-loaded. That helps the Red Sox for luxury tax purposes.

At the same time, Castillo received a larger overall deal than the $68 million Abreu received from the Chicago White Sox last winter. That was considered important to his representatives at Roc Nation Sports, the agency owned by music mogul Jay-Z.

Bidding by the Tigers, Phillies, Giants and Mariners helped drive the price up.

Castillo played five seasons for Ciego de Avila in Cuba’s top league and was impressive playing for Cuba’s team in the 2011 World Cup tournament in Panama. He was excluded from the 2013 World Baseball Classic because of a suspension likely related to his trying to defect.

Castillo is described as a high-energy player comparable to Shane Victorino in his prime or Yankees left fielder Brett Gardner. The success other Cubans have had in the majors helped convince the Red Sox to make the move.

“That’s the one thing that stands out more than anything. When you look at Yoenis’s performance right away in Oakland, Abreu in Chicago. Hopefully the same holds true for every other player that comes over,” Farrell said.

“When you look at how many games they play on the international stage and the talent in which they play against, just by nature they’re seemingly a very strong group physically and they’re able to transition and handle the wear and tear of a long season.”

Because of his base-stealing ability and what was a high on-base percentage during his time in Cuba, Castillo could become a leadoff hitter.

bostonglobe.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
Nava isn't blocking ANYONE in Boston. He had a surprisingly solid year last year out of nowhere, but I think many people don't realize how mediocre he's been this year. And he doesn't have much of a track record to suggest he'll "bounce back."

I don't think anyone is saying Nava is blocking anyone for the Red Sox. However, I do think it is silly to just think of him as a write off and nothing but a AAAA player. The guy has a good eye and you have to love his work ethic and passion for baseball. And considering he was able to produce a .800 ops season as recently as last year and owns a career .360+ OBP over the course of the past 4 (albeit it has only been really only 1 full season he has played in the big leagues) suggests that he has some talent and hitting ability.

I'd much rather take a chance on him in LF next year than another year of De Aza and Viciedo.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 12:50 AM)
I wouldn't buy high on any of them, honestly.

Not even Cespedes, because it would be dumb to control him for a year or less than a year. When/if he reaches FA, that's a different story.

Otoh, Victorino is the type of veteran player we need to help lead the youngsters, IF he can stay healthy, which is a huge if.

Finally, I'd try to steal Bradley but wouldn't be willing to give up Anderson/Hawkins/Montas for him. Just not a huge believer in Eaton being able to play a whole season without going on the DL for significant periods of time after what we've seen this year so far.

At 5 feet 9 inches and 205 pounds, Castillo is a righthanded hitter more reliant on speed than power, but he does have extra-base pop in his bat according to scouts who watched his showcase workout July 26 at the University of Miami. He also is solid defensively.

“Above-average speed. Can play center field or right field. What kind of power? What kind of average? Obviously our scouts liked him enough. That’s a significant investment,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell. “It’s an exciting athletic player by all accounts.”

The Red Sox held a private workout for Castillo in Florida on Aug. 1 attended by general manager Ben Cherington. The team was impressed and started working diligently to sign him.

Castillo’s contract, with an average annual value of $10.35 million, was heavily back-loaded. That helps the Red Sox for luxury tax purposes.

At the same time, Castillo received a larger overall deal than the $68 million Abreu received from the Chicago White Sox last winter. That was considered important to his representatives at Roc Nation Sports, the agency owned by music mogul Jay-Z.

Bidding by the Tigers, Phillies, Giants and Mariners helped drive the price up.

Castillo played five seasons for Ciego de Avila in Cuba’s top league and was impressive playing for Cuba’s team in the 2011 World Cup tournament in Panama. He was excluded from the 2013 World Baseball Classic because of a suspension likely related to his trying to defect.

Castillo is described as a high-energy player comparable to Shane Victorino in his prime or Yankees left fielder Brett Gardner. The success other Cubans have had in the majors helped convince the Red Sox to make the move.

“That’s the one thing that stands out more than anything. When you look at Yoenis’s performance right away in Oakland, Abreu in Chicago. Hopefully the same holds true for every other player that comes over,” Farrell said.

“When you look at how many games they play on the international stage and the talent in which they play against, just by nature they’re seemingly a very strong group physically and they’re able to transition and handle the wear and tear of a long season.”

Because of his base-stealing ability and what was a high on-base percentage during his time in Cuba, Castillo could become a leadoff hitter.

bostonglobe.com/sports

thanks ...... that anw a lot of my questions.

Castillo has some pop but not for 30 HR. Maybe 15-20 will be his plateau. He will be like the Road Runner making defenders crazy with his speed. He has GREAT MAKE up like Cespy who I nicknamed the Ace Destroyer due to his hitting against opponent aces.

I am amazed and thrilled for the turnaround in the Cuban market. We went from being underpaid compared to the Japanese market to being paid equally (maybe) though I think MLB will control this soon. Are Abreu, Cespy and Puig underpaid now?

Next in line The Havana Mortar (Mortero de la Habana actual nickname in Cuba) Yasmany Tomas and Johan Moncada.

3B Pavel Quezada from the Cienfuegos Elephants is also in the DR. He played with Abreu, Puig and El Grillo Arruebarruena. The Elephants have been decimated by players leaving. What a team they had looking back now! I hope those fans appreciated what they had.

I know this question probably transcends baseball and is more into politics, but Cubano do you think Cuba will get to the point that the teams will be negotiating with MLB teams in posting system similar to Japan? At some point Cuba is going to want to start getting something for their players instead of watching them walk away and defect

QUOTE (The Wiz @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 01:09 AM)
I don't think anyone is saying Nava is blocking anyone for the Red Sox. However, I do think it is silly to just think of him as a write off and nothing but a AAAA player. The guy has a good eye and you have to love his work ethic and passion for baseball. And considering he was able to produce a .800 ops season as recently as last year and owns a career .360+ OBP over the course of the past 4 (albeit it has only been really only 1 full season he has played in the big leagues) suggests that he has some talent and hitting ability.

I'd much rather take a chance on him in LF next year than another year of De Aza and Viciedo.

AAAA = too good for the minors but not good enough to be a consistent starting MLB player. His passion and work ethic have nothing to do with it, the guy is on the wrong side of 30 and as you noticed he only has one full season under his belt despite being in the majors for parts of 4 seasons.

It is what it is, Nava has a nice stroke but there is a reason why he isn't starting full time on this terrible Boston team with bad outfield play all around him. this season.

And saying you would rather take a chance on him than De Aza or Viciedo isn't exactly a glowing endorsement

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 08:26 AM)
I know this question probably transcends baseball and is more into politics, but Cubano do you think Cuba will get to the point that the teams will be negotiating with MLB teams in posting system similar to Japan? At some point Cuba is going to want to start getting something for their players instead of watching them walk away and defect

I forgot to mention that Castillo won't walk too much.

The are trying to do that. They have sent players to Japan (Despaigne Lotte), Gourriel (Yokohama), (Cepeda Yomiuri), Yuniesky Gourriel, Yuliesky Gourriel older brother, (Quebec). They have been force to do it. Even the bat boys are leaving the teams to pursue MLB $$$$. ;)

http://canam.bbstats.pointstreak.com/playe...;seasonid=27547

How is it the MLB made a big deal about Despaigne playing in Mexico because the Embargo and Yuniesky can play in the CAM league and play in the States? I think he even played at City Field. What happened to the Embargo here? Did he clear OFAC requirement? Clearly, Cespy, Castillo, Abreu, etc had to apply for OFAC so they could be investigated and to make sure their $ would not go to a Cuban returning to the island. Yuniesky clearly will return to the island.

They said they wanted to invite some exile players to the next WBC. I doubt it until I see it. I know many Americans do not like the WBC.

The Cuban OF would be awesome. Puig, Cespy, Castillo, Despaigne, Castillo, Soler, Tomas, Martin (Texas). No Viciedo please. He will be team Cuba B. :D

1B Abreu and Kendry

2B Moncada

SS Alexei, Iglesias, Hechavarria

C Nieto, Pena

RHP Jose Fernandez

Closer Chapman.

If this Cuban team takes the field, I will strongly consider attending the WBC.

Listen, politics is BS.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
I forgot to mention that Castillo won't walk too much.

Listen, politics is BS.

thank Cubano for all the info you provided.

this is what I know. some time ago someone in Washington said they will not open talks of some sorts

until the Castro brothers reign ends.

Cubano do you know if this is indeed the reason from Cuba point of view?