7/21 Games

GGajewski18

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
Jacob May stole another base, now 36-for-42 in that department. Impressive for a guy who hasn't gotten on base all that often this year. His bat has cooled off some though.

Coats 2-3, BB. He has not cooled off, .925 OPS in July, over .950 in last 10 games.

Rondon doing better in A+ than I thought he would, went 2-4, hitting .266.

Omar Narvaez splitting time but hitting well over .300. And he's an excellent defensive catcher.

That's good to know about Narvaez. I wish they would play him more. He seems very age reasonable for his position for the league, and he seems to be a good contact hitter with good plate discipline. If he starts showing some power, he should rise through the ranks.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:54 PM)
Ravelo is becoming one of my favorite prospects. He's a hitter. He was 1-2, 2BB tonight. .406 OBP and a .881 OPS on the year.

Looks like they would do well to find a position for him that is not first base.

I'm very curious to see how Ravelo performs when he is pushed up to AAA he is already 2 and a half years younger than his competition at AA and when he gets pushed up he will be a tick over 5 years younger than the average competition at AAA. I recall Stoltz saying "he repeatedly displayed above-average athleticism", could he be a potential solution in the corner outfield if his power continues to develop knowing full well that its often the last tool to develop? Ravelo could spend the next two years at Charlotte and still be on a slightly above average career arc for the show. Lastly has already shown great plate discipline and bat on ball ability and has a third baseman's arm, I think he couldn't possibly be worse than what we've shown defensively in right and left with Garcia and Viciedo.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 11:28 PM)
Ravelo deserves a month in Charlotte. Dump Dunn and call up Wilkins to make room.

Agreed. Hawk was touting Wilkins during the Sox game Monday night. Too bad Wilkins got off to such a slow start; then, his stats would really be impressive. Wilkins should be on everyone's prospect list. Almost everyone.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 08:18 AM)
Agreed. Hawk was touting Wilkins during the Sox game Monday night. Too bad Wilkins got off to such a slow start; then, his stats would really be impressive. Wilkins should be on everyone's prospect list. Almost everyone.

He's certainly going to be on my top 25 but seriously the excitement should be tempered. He's still older than most people at Charlotte (Turns 26 in

Now with all that said, the White Sox absolutely have a need for a LH hitter in their lineup and they have an opening at DH in the near future, and having some ability to be a backup 1b to give Abreu time off (HA!) would be useful too. But we're not talking about Adam Dunn in his prime. If his minor league numbers carry over we're talking about a guy who K's less than Dunn, gets on base less than Dunn, homers less than Dunn, but who gets more hits than Dunn and is very cheap for a couple years. That could be very useful to fill a lineup hole if he can translate, but there's important limits here.

QUOTE (shoeless_joe21 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:43 PM)
I'd like to start following the DSL box scores more closely, but I don't really know much about any of our players on that squad. Who are considered the best prospects on the roster? Or are they so young that I shouldn't even bother getting invested in them until they're further advanced?

It is very hard to say who the "real prospects" are down there. They're just so damn young. But a few guys that were paid relatively high bonuses that are still down there include Maiker Feliz, Jose Reyes, Hanleth Otano and Roger Ramos. There are also a few pitchers putting up nice K & BB numbers that may be worth watching.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 11:16 PM)
That's good to know about Narvaez. I wish they would play him more. He seems very age reasonable for his position for the league, and he seems to be a good contact hitter with good plate discipline. If he starts showing some power, he should rise through the ranks.

He really does deserve more playing time, saw him play recently in April or May and he was just killing the ball for Kanny, good defensively as well

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 08:17 AM)
He's certainly going to be on my top 25 but seriously the excitement should be tempered. He's still older than most people at Charlotte (Turns 26 in

Now with all that said, the White Sox absolutely have a need for a LH hitter in their lineup and they have an opening at DH in the near future, and having some ability to be a backup 1b to give Abreu time off (HA!) would be useful too. But we're not talking about Adam Dunn in his prime. If his minor league numbers carry over we're talking about a guy who K's less than Dunn, gets on base less than Dunn, homers less than Dunn, but who gets more hits than Dunn and is very cheap for a couple years. That could be very useful to fill a lineup hole if he can translate, but there's important limits here.

Plus it really seems like the new Charlotte park is playing like a bandbox this year.

Old Sox Prospects around MILB:

Brady Shoemaker-AA- .281 AVG, 8 HRs, 50 RBIs, 128 TB, 21 2B,

Juan Silverio- AAA- .294 AVG, 1 HR, 3 RBIs

Ross Wilson- A- .264 AVG, 4 HRs, 24 RBIs

Blair Walters- A- 3.00 ERA, 1-0

Brandon Kloess- AAA- 5.56 ERA, 3-3 record

Jose Martinez- A- .360 AVG, 2 HRs, 14 RBIs

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:56 PM)
Spencer Adams has struck out 9 in 4 innings, walking 1 and giving up 6 hits and 2 runs. 23 strikeouts to 2 walks in 17.2 IP now. His BABIP must be insane.

Micker Adolfo is 2-3 with a double and a homer.

I did a double take when I saw Adam's line. That is filthy.

Don't look now, but Nestor Molina has a 0.57 ERA over his last 15.2 innings. He's given up five hits, walked one, and struck out ten over that span.

I know he was horribly misjudged by Kenny Williams and whatever scout said he was close to being a major league starter, but could he be a useful bullpen piece?

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
Don't look now, but Nestor Molina has a 0.57 ERA over his last 15.2 innings. He's given up five hits, walked one, and struck out ten over that span.

I know he was horribly misjudged by Kenny Williams and whatever scout said he was close to being a major league starter, but could he be a useful bullpen piece?

Totally forgot about him, please add him to the big league Pen

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)

His ground ball rate is really good and he's only walked 11 over 41 innings while opponents are hitting 248. Those numbers aren't bad at all, he just has a 4.75 era.

Just checking him out, he'd only pitched 22 innings of AA ball when the Sox acquired him.

Still his overall K numbers aren't particularly high; sounds like he's improving, so I'd let him improve some more, without rushing him. He's only 25...relief pitchers can be born in their mid-late 20s.

While Davidson has never been a low strikeout player, there's no good reason to think the AAA version we've seen this year is the real thing. He has played better in the majors than he has played most of the year in the minors.

FWIW, since the time Thome arrived (~June 19th), he's struck out 23.9% of the time with a .267/.367/.533 slash line. That includes the recent spike, which IMO still looks like nothing more than statistical noise given that his power also went up along with his average while his OBP went down...lots of conflicting info in that sample.