7/21 Games

GGajewski18

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
What were the reasons for moving Molina into the pen? His last full season as a starter he had a 3.20 FIP at Birmingham. His skillset seems to fit #5 starter more than it does bullpen guy.

given the choice between a solid 8th inning setup man and a borderline 5th starter i'd actually take the setup man

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)
It is very hard to say who the "real prospects" are down there. They're just so damn young. But a few guys that were paid relatively high bonuses that are still down there include Maiker Feliz, Jose Reyes, Hanleth Otano and Roger Ramos. There are also a few pitchers putting up nice K & BB numbers that may be worth watching.

Thank you, that helps. An extra box score that I get to check each day is always a good thing. :)

QUOTE (shoeless_joe21 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 09:36 PM)
Thank you, that helps. An extra box score that I get to check each day is always a good thing. :)

Age is very important for the DSL guys. Mainly I would focus on the younger guys who are doing something interesting like 17 year old Josbel Coroba striking out over a batter per inning, still 16 year old (for another month) Nelson Acosta who is almost striking out a batter per inning, 17 year old catcher Carlos Perez who is hitting .300 while striking out in less than 9% of his PA's etc.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 07:18 AM)
Agreed. Hawk was touting Wilkins during the Sox game Monday night. Too bad Wilkins got off to such a slow start; then, his stats would really be impressive. Wilkins should be on everyone's prospect list. Almost everyone.

Why do people think Wilkins is a prospect? He's been thoroughly mediocre every step of his minor league career.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 05:16 PM)
Why do people think Wilkins is a prospect? He's been thoroughly mediocre every step of his minor league career.

I have no idea. I realize he's on a terror right now and maybe a switch has flipped but it isn't like we are talking about some guy who has destroyed minor league pitching his entire career. His career OPS in the minors isn't anything outstanding (low .800's) all while demonstrating a significant decline in his walk rate each season. I certainly wouldn't want the Sox to sit around a year letting him prove whether he can hang or not.

I have no problem giving him a shot for a few weeks late in the season (cause Dunn should be gone), however, he did have enough initial tools to be a 5th round pick. I'm just extremely skeptical of 1st base prospects as a whole, especially ones who don't absolutely rake. I hope he keeps doing what he's been doing the past month.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 07:16 PM)

Because he is one. But that isn't the same thing as saying he should be an MLB starter. I share your frustration with some of the overreaction with his (admittedly very) hot streak. But I also wouldn't mind giving him a look late this season when Dunn is likely elsewhere. It is possible he could fill a Ross Gload-type role with the team in the future, though Gload had a much better hit tool than I think Wilkins will ever have.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
Because he is one. But that isn't the same thing as saying he should be an MLB starter. I share your frustration with some of the overreaction with his (admittedly very) hot streak. But I also wouldn't mind giving him a look late this season when Dunn is likely elsewhere. It is possible he could fill a Ross Gload-type role with the team in the future, though Gload had a much better hit tool than I think Wilkins will ever have.

But another thing worth noting, in 2006 at the time Gload was around his highest usage, the average MLB 1b put up an .850 OPS. In 2014, the average MLB 1b is putting up a .764 OPS.

Wilkins vs LHP this year - .241/.259/.454/.713, 2.7% BB rate, 18% K rate

He seems like he could be useful as a bench player, but with a lack of versatility (he can "play" 3B, and I'm sure he could eventually "play" LF and RF, but he'd likely be near disastrous out there), it's hard to find a roster spot for him other than in limited spells.

EDIT: If he could draw walks, he'd remind me a bit of Brian Daubach.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
Wilkins vs LHP this year - .241/.259/.454/.713, 2.7% BB rate, 18% K rate

He seems like he could be useful as a bench player, but with a lack of versatility (he can "play" 3B, and I'm sure he could eventually "play" LF and RF, but he'd likely be near disastrous out there), it's hard to find a roster spot for him other than in limited spells.

EDIT: If he could draw walks, he'd remind me a bit of Brian Daubach.

Somehow I don't think one thing this roster is lacking in is "righties who could platoon at the DH spot".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)
Somehow I don't think one thing this roster is lacking in is "righties who could platoon at the DH spot".

Viciedo, Garcia, Davidson, Semien, Sierra, Taylor, etc.

Someone suggested Victor Martinez as a quick fix. Just wonder when he's going to fall off the Konerko Cliff and take a career nosedive? How long can he keep putting up those numbers? It's not like he's playing in Charlotte's stadium, Comerica plays big, especially to CF.

Why does it seem like if the White Sox sign him for 3 years he will end up more like Manny Ramirez 2010?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
Viciedo, Garcia, Davidson, Semien, Sierra, Taylor, etc.

Someone suggested Victor Martinez as a quick fix. Just wonder when he's going to fall off the Konerko Cliff and take a career nosedive? How long can he keep putting up those numbers? It's not like he's playing in Charlotte's stadium, Comerica plays big, especially to CF.

Why does it seem like if the White Sox sign him for 3 years he will end up more like Manny Ramirez 2010?

I think it's become increasingly clear the Tigers will offer Martinez a qualifying offer at the end of the year, making the WHite Sox have to part with a draft pick to sign him. In that case I would not do so.