Official Frank Thomas Celebration Week

shago

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
The bigger the numbers he put up, the more Thomas was consumed by being recognized as the best hitter in the game. He often was seen poring over stat sheets in the clubhouse and at his locker, and he always seemed to know his exact numbers.

Thomas doesn't deny that but wonders why it became such an issue with the media.

"Yeah, I did, but that was part of the game," Thomas said. "I did that because I wanted to be great, man. I wanted to know what other guys were doing, the guys who were in that elite level.

"I wanted to challenge them every day, and I knew if I played at that level, we were going to win a lot of ballgames. And if I didn't play at that level, we were going to lose a lot of ballgames. So I took it upon myself to do that. It wasn't that I was selfish. It was about wanting to be great."

But other hitters passed Thomas' numbers, leading him to feel overlooked and underpaid. He signed a seven-year deal at the end of the 1997 season that was worth $85 million if the two option years were picked up, but it also included a "diminished-ability" clause that allowed the Sox to terminate the contract if he failed to be an All-Star starter or finish in the top 10 in the MVP voting from 1999 to 2001.

Thomas staged a brief walkout in the spring of 2000 to protest the contract and still feels like he was underpaid.

"That was b.s.," he said. "But that's OK. I've prospered. Take the high road, keep that smile on my face and be happy. That's what I've done. Treat people like we're equal because that's part of me. I came from a small, humble place, and I continue to be that person. Whatever has happened to me has been unimaginable for where I'm from."

There are no regrets for Thomas, who said he's happy as a TV analyst for Fox and Comcast SportsNet and working for Genworth, a long-term-care planning company. He always spoke his mind, a trait he got from his dad, who will be there in spirit.

"I'm going to miss my dad at the Hall of Fame (induction)," he said. "That's one part of the speech I have to get past. I'm worried about getting choked up on that part because I know what he'd be like Sunday."

Guess it wouldn't be the Trib/Sullivan if he didn't go negative on a Sox player. Thank God Sosa or Grace never got in, and they can only "half-claim" Maddux. Palmeiro making it would have been hilarious as well, but...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-07...s-steroid-users

Another article on how he's not going to go negative or attack the PED's users in his HOF induction speech.

Paul Sullivan is a White Sox fan. He was at Disco Demolition as a kid, and I have seen him at Sox games a few times when he had time off as a Cubs beat writer.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 08:55 PM)
As often as I've thought that Big Frank bordered on arrogant, that was as much humility and gratitude as you'll ever see on that stage

Seriously. That speech plus JD, Rowand and AJ showing up makes me wonder how overhyped the bro oldish teammate stuff was.

Yeah definitely had soft spots for a lot of people. When Hawk talked about Big Frank using an aluminum bat in batting practice... my God that must have been unreal. He's the greatest player I've ever seen and even though I expect to live another 50+ years I bet he's the greatest Sox player I ever will see. Even in spite of his numbers and how gaudy they are I think the DH role and the injuries still kind of diminished how great he really was. If I was a pitcher Frank was the last guy I'd ever want to face in any situation.

Also love the kudos to Hriniak.

Oh and lastly Frank being concerned about his numbers and stuff.... good. I wish all players were that focused. The best player on the team should be that way thinking about Sale and Abreu ATM).

Frank cut 50 names:

I don’t have all day here, I only have 10 minutes and I might be over. Sorry. I’m an emotional guy because I wear my heart on my sleeve. So I will give my guys a verbal montage. Please bear with me.

“One Dog, Rock, Grebeck, R.V., Ozzie, Joey, Pudge, Karko, Psycho Lyons, Bo, Ellis, Black Jack, the Deacon, Sugar Ray, Alex, Wilson, Bere, Roberto, Thiggy, James Baldwin, Billy Bob, Buehrle, Hot Rod -- thanks for the program Hot Rod.

“D. Bo, Magglio, Carlos, Rowand, Jermaine Dye. He’s here today along with Aaron Rowand. Ivan, Phil, Paulie, Crede, Uribe, Charles Johnson, Sandy, T. Phillips, Harold, Melido, Howry, Foulke, Mike Jackson, Flash, Kenny, Sandy, A.J., Robbie, McIlroy, Merullo, Spanky, Julio, Willie Chill, Singleton, Mouton, Davey, El Duque, Fordyce, Leifer, G. Bell, C. Everett, Danny Pasqua, D.J., McCaskill, Paul, Huff, Valentin, Abbott, Devereaux, Cammy Cam, John Kruk, Sirotka, Magrane, Freeman, Krueter, Norton, Tartabull, D. Lew, Scott Eyre, Navarro, Bradford, Castillo, Mark Johnson, Garland, Lowe, Eldred, Graffanino, Marte, Bartolo, Cotts, Glover, Loaiza, Contreras, Freddy, Politte.

“I know it’s long. Sorry.

“Jenks, Lee, B.A., Podsednik, Blanton, Keko, Duke, Gaudin, Harden, Haren, Kotsay, The late Joe Kennedy. He left us too soon and was a special friend of mine. Saarloos, Huston, Zito, Kendall, Melhuse, Swisher, Chavy, Crosby, Ellis, D.J., Scutaro, Milton, Kielty, J. Payton, Doc Halladay, Accardo, A.J., Downsie, Frasor, Rios, Casey, League, McGowan, Marcum, B.J., Towers, A. Hill, Vernon, Johnny Mac, Orlando, Reed, Raja and Big Red.

“Yeah it was real. You guys were my family away from home. I miss all of you. I’m glad to have known all of you. I’m sorry I couldn’t name the rest of you guys. I’ll probably get hit in the head right now from the guys in the back. But thank you man.”

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
Frank cut 50 names:

I don’t have all day here, I only have 10 minutes and I might be over. Sorry. I’m an emotional guy because I wear my heart on my sleeve. So I will give my guys a verbal montage. Please bear with me.

“One Dog (Lance Johnson), Rock (Raines), Grebeck, R.V. (Ventura), Ozzie, Joey (Cora), Pudge (Fisk), Karko, Psycho Lyons, Bo (Jackson), Ellis (Burks), Black Jack, the Deacon (Warren Newson), Sugar Ray (Durham), Alex (Fernandez), Wilson (Alvarez), (Jason) Bere, Roberto (Hernandez), Thiggy, James Baldwin, Billy Bob (who is that, Billy Joe Robidoux, lol??), Buehrle, Hot Rod (McCray) -- thanks for the program Hot Rod.

D. Bo, Magglio, Carlos, Rowand, Jermaine Dye. He’s here today along with Aaron Rowand. Ivan (Calderon), Phil (Bradley), Paulie, Crede, Uribe, Charles Johnson, Sandy (Alomar), T. (Tony) Phillips, Harold, Melido (Perez), Howry, Foulke, Mike Jackson, Flash (Gordon), Kenny (Williams), Sandy, A.J., Robbie (Alomar), McIlroy (Chuck McElroy), (Matt) Merullo, Spanky (Lavalliere), Julio (Franco), Willie Chill (Thompson), Singleton, Mouton, Davey (Martinez), El Duque, Fordyce, Leifer, G. Bell, C. Everett, Danny Pasqua, D.J., McCaskill, Paul (Donn Pall), (Mike) Huff, (Jose) Valentin, (Jeff or Jim) Abbott, (Mike) Devereaux, Cammy Cam (Mike Cameron), John Kruk, Sirotka, (Joe) Magrane, (Marvin?) Freeman, (Chad) Krueter, (Greg Mr.) Norton, Tartabull, (Darren Lewis) D. Lew, Scott Eyre, Navarro, (Chad) Bradford, (Frank) Castillo, Mark Johnson, Garland, (Sean) Lowe, (Cal) Eldred, Graffanino, Marte, Bartolo, Cotts, (Gary) Glover, Loaiza, Contreras, Freddy (Garcia), Politte.

“I know it’s long. Sorry.

“Jenks, Lee, B.A. (Brian Anderson), Podsednik, Blanton, Keko, Duke, Gaudin, Harden, Haren, Kotsay, The late Joe Kennedy. He left us too soon and was a special friend of mine. Saarloos, Huston, Zito, Kendall, Melhuse, Swisher, Chavy, Crosby, Ellis, D.J., Scutaro, Milton, Kielty, J. Payton, Doc Halladay, Accardo, A.J., Downsie, Frasor, Rios, Casey, League, McGowan, Marcum, B.J., Towers, A. Hill, Vernon, Johnny Mac, Orlando, Reed, Raja and Big Red.

“Yeah it was real. You guys were my family away from home. I miss all of you. I’m glad to have known all of you. I’m sorry I couldn’t name the rest of you guys. I’ll probably get hit in the head right now from the guys in the back. But thank you man.”

Sounded like he also said Ron Darling...no Scott Radinsky, Pablo Ozuna, Norberto Paco Martin, Greg Hibbard/Hibbie, Timo Perez, Willie Harris, Kenny Lofton (who he famously got into a fight with in the clubhouse and ended up sitting on him I think), Iguchi, Widger, Gload

It was hard to hear....sounded like he said "Billy Ball" Billy Bob??

And D Bo? (that has to be Darryl Boston, oops)

Not sure if it was Jeff Abbott or Jim Abbott (one-armed pitcher)....going back to that time, from those players, probably Jim Abbott

Edited by caulfield12

I love Frank but it's pretty obvious the guy has a bit of a self esteem problem that manifests itself as bitterness at times. I realized though listening to his speech that he's a pretty poor kid from a pretty poor part of the world that rose to become a 1st ballot HOFer and maybe that's why he always had a little bit of a chip on his shoulder, maybe he at times was a little self conscious about his background and playing in Chicago kinda contributed to his being over looked at times in the national media.