7/23 Royals @ White Sox 1:10 CT

GGajewski18

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:08 PM)
When Greg said that the trade was "laughably bad" it was probably an exaggeration, certainly an inaccurate adverb. No one here is laughing. But it was not a good trade. It'll likely take another year before the trade can be accurately assessed, but I'm sure Hahn did not forsee Davidson hitting .210 in AAA with gobs of strikeouts. Reed now up to 24 saves by the way, which is a fairly predictable level for him.

In hindsight maybe it wasn't good. Sadly though Hahn doesn't have a crystal ball. I can't call a trade that made perfect sense bad though, no matter what adverb you throw in front of it.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 03:16 AM)
5 blown saves, 1.99 HR/9, 3.98 era. He is gasoline, we all saw that last season, there is enough of that in the current bullpen

Gasoline? 24 saves and five blown saves in this day and age? I'll take it. Especially being in Chicago he was very comfortable and in my opinion would have had another fine season. He's a fine relief pitcher. Geez.

Hahn blew it big time having no bullpen, absolutely no bullpen. I simply disagree that Nate would have done the job. Not with his control and his bizarre delivery. I don't like him as a prospect at all.

It cost the Sox a shot at the wild card that is for sure.

Nate's control improved throughout his time with the Sox.

You're not going to find many teams that can deal with the loss of their two most important relievers in our position. Petricka, Putnam and Belisario were never supposed to pitch in the 8th and 9th. They were to be our setup and middle relievers.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:50 PM)
Gasoline? 24 saves and five blown saves in this day and age? I'll take it. Especially being in Chicago he was very comfortable and in my opinion would have had another fine season. He's a fine relief pitcher. Geez.

Hahn blew it big time having no bullpen, absolutely no bullpen. I simply disagree that Nate would have done the job. Not with his control and his bizarre delivery. I don't like him as a prospect at all.

Lol. Ok greg

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:50 PM)

Nate Jones last year averaged 3.00 walks per 9 last year, Reed had 2.90. So there isn't that much of a drop off at all when talking about control.

I know I hate FIP, but Jones FIP last year was 2.64 while Reed was at 3.17, meaning Jones was the much better pitcher. Again using the FIP stat, his FIP this year is 4.74, that is apparently really bad.

Jones would have been fine as the closer....and really Lindstrom was too for the most part.

And I wouldn't count on Hahn addressing the closer role going into 2015, either.

In that conference call, he used the examples of Jim Johnson, Nathan and Frieri as being struggling or deposed closers on the 3 best teams in the AL.

Further irony would be that the team leading the AL East dealt their closer, the Orioles, and it turned out to be a wise move.

You're not going to see Hahn spend money on a Soria or Papelbon deal, or prospects for a Huston Street.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
So you are under the impression he's so dumb he puts Beckham there without knowing any better?

I see that you responded to my post, but did not answer my question.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 11:16 PM)
5 blown saves, 1.99 HR/9, 3.98 era. He is gasoline, we all saw that last season, there is enough of that in the current bullpen

There is someone w 24 saves in the current bullpen???? I don't think the Sox have 24 saves total in the bullpen.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 07:31 AM)
There is someone w 24 saves in the current bullpen???? I don't think the Sox have 24 saves total in the bullpen.

There are plenty of people with high ERAs and bad peripherals that blow games in our bullpen, which is what i meant.

I love how everyone conveniently forgets how many games Reed blew last year and how bad he looked down the stretch when his fastball lost life and he was tired.

But hey, Reed=Playoffs.