7/27 - Sox vs Twins

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
Not being able to see the game, but really Ventura's best option might have been having someone like Rienzo run for PK, as it was obvious De Aza was going to have to face a LHP in that inning. Oh well, still doesn't change my mind this team should sell in the next week.

flowers should pitch hit for de aza

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
Not being able to see the game, but really Ventura's best option might have been having someone like Rienzo run for PK, as it was obvious De Aza was going to have to face a LHP in that inning. Oh well, still doesn't change my mind this team should sell in the next week.

The only interesting pieces we have are maybe Danks and Alexei. Nobody giving up good prospects for trash players.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)

That would have been smart. The best option is clearly NOT to have DeAza facing a lefty in the game's crucial AB, and yet that's what he did.

Sorry defenders. Love the guy, but Robin does indeed suck as a manager.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
Our f***tard manager costs us another W. Thanks Robin for taking a team that should be running away with the division and making us a below .500 club.

No.

Hell no.

And I believe you would get your ass kicked for saying something like that.

There's just no way you let PK run. Having Rienzo do it is not automatically an option; there's a reason you almost never see this, especially in the AL, especially in a non-extra inning game. Pitchers need to have a lot of notice to get their legs loosened up because they didn't prepare to do any running that day.

Perkins is an excellent closer and several guys didn't get the job done at the dish. Gillaspie was a pinch hit candidate as well, but of course we didn't do that either.

The real issue we witness here, other than just run-of-the-mill guys not quite getting their jobs done, is the continued hamstringing of our bench due to the fact we have two DH-only players.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
There's just no way you let PK run. Having Rienzo do it is not automatically an option; there's a reason you almost never see this, especially in the AL, especially in a non-extra inning game. Pitchers need to have a lot of notice to get their legs loosened up because they didn't prepare to do any running that day.

Perkins is an excellent closer and several guys didn't get the job done at the dish. Gillaspie was a pinch hit candidate as well, but of course we didn't do that either.

The real issue we witness here, other than just run-of-the-mill guys not quite getting their jobs done, is the continued hamstringing of our bench due to the fact we have two DH-only players.

Thank you for a moment of sanity.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 03:07 PM)

Regardless, literally NO excuse to let DeAza hit there. Could have anticipated being boxed-in like that, but didn't. Gillaspie is having a breakout season and it makes sense to give him some non-platoon rope and see if he can improve v. lefties. Everyone knows what 30 y.o. DeAza is, and isn't. Not comparable. Not excusable.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)

On this team, with 3 hitters (2 starters) who the manager insists need pinch runners and uses them liberally, you need to have some pitchers ready for the job. Even without that, making sure a .083 hitter doesn't bat against a lefty closer is a bigger priority than making sure the trailing runner has a PR.

And he still could have used Flowers to bat.

I know, hindsight, Robin hater, whatever....some thoughts:

-Don't know why Robin didn't immediately come out of the dugout when the umps approached Belisario. I'm sure it wouldn't have changed a damn thing, just seems like a natural reaction. It was like he thought it would count as a mound visit or something. When the umps come out in that situation, it can throw off a head case like Ronald. It's like getting pulled over by the cops when you are going the speed limit.

-You could see Belisario didn't have it and should have been taken out sooner. I will catch flak from the Robin lovers, but it was very obvious, at the very least, at the point of the wild pitch. But no one takes out a pitcher in the middle of an at bat, not sure why.

-As soon as Viciedo takes a hanger on the first pitch, I know he's striking out.

-I don't think you can let De Aza face Perkins. I'm not smart enough to know how to manage it, but I could consult someone who is. Pinch hit Flowers, don't pinch run Sierra, something other than De Aza. You have to be able to think ahead enough to not let it happen.

-Abreu and Eaton are so fun to watch.

-Congrats to Big Frank!

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
On this team, with 3 hitters (2 starters) who the manager insists need pinch runners and uses them liberally, you need to have some pitchers ready for the job. Even without that, making sure a .083 hitter doesn't bat against a lefty closer is a bigger priority than making sure the trailing runner has a PR.

And he still could have used Flowers to bat.

Truth.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 05:07 PM)

Sox are #2 in the AL in DH production with an .849 OPS. Add up the runs scored by having 2nd best DH setup, subtract any runs lost by being "hamstrung" by the lack of some other 25th man.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
Sox are #2 in the AL in DH production with an .849 OPS. Add up the runs scored by having 2nd best DH setup, subtract any runs lost by being "hamstrung" by the lack of some other 25th man.

Having the 2nd best DH production has nothing to do with late innings maneuverability. If we had lost a few more games due to lesser DH production so be it but that cannot be figured out the way you suggest.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 06:29 PM)
Having the 2nd best DH production has nothing to do with late innings maneuverability. If we had lost a few more games due to lesser DH production so be it but that cannot be figured out the way you suggest.

Having "late innings maneuverability" has nothing to do with having a strong (2nd best in baseball) DH platoon.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 05:11 PM)
Having "late innings maneuverability" has nothing to do with having a strong (2nd best in baseball) DH platoon.

I don't know what you are trying to say. The 2nd best DH "platoon" is mostly Dunn. Konerko really hasn't contributed much to that "platoon" nor is he able to pinch run or play multiple positions. If he pinch hits and gets on base and has to be pinch run for that's using 2 bench players for that 1 hit. Abreu has started around 15 games at DH so that sure helps the "platoon" production.

The fact is you still can't figure out run production or wins and losses the way you suggested it. You cannot predict how another player with running ability and multi positional talent would be as a DH in Konerko's absence but we do know he would not be one dimensional.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 08:43 PM)
The fact is you still can't figure out run production or wins and losses the way you suggested it.

And you can't figure out run production based on "late inning maneuverability."

But I do find it funny that when Konerko pinch hits in a one run game in the 9th and gets a hit, people complain about Konerko being on the team and Ventura's managing rather than Viciedo's inability to connect with the baseball. It's absurd.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 08:43 PM)
You cannot predict how another player with running ability and multi positional talent would be as a DH in Konerko's absence but we do know he would not be one dimensional.

I didn't propose doing an actual calculation to come up with a number in runs, simply pointing out that there are trade offs positive and negative, the net of which over the course of the season are extremely inconsequential.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 09:28 PM)
It isn't going to get fixed now.

The Sox bullpen, which the exception of closer in past seasons, has been trash a while now. It's growing old. Lot of bodies have failed out there. This current bullpen has ruined an otherwise fairly outstanding season. Bella has a good inning every once in a while, but overall he is really really bad.

Edited by greg775