7/27 Games

OilCan

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 07:02 PM)
Rondon 2-4 with a walk out of the 2-spot.

This is confusing.

Pretty excited for what he does if/when he ditches the whole left-handed hitting thing. For 2014 he's hitting .266/.355/.394 as a righty and .227/.277/.248 as a lefty. It's been .353/.421/.647 as a righty and .204/.250/.204 as a lefty at Winston-Salem.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 07:32 PM)
Bad, bad trade.

Good idea to trade Reed, but a terrible move to waste 40 save value on such a flawed player. They were fooled by his semi-successful cup of coffee in the bigs - a 117+ wRC in AAA translates as a borderline MLBer. Bad scouting, I guess.

Eaton trade looks good. RH will need to do better than 50-50 for the team to turn the corner, though.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 07:19 PM)
Adams is a strikeout machine. 2 in the first makes it 25 in 18.2 IP, and it's been trending up too.

I love the fact that he's not afraid to attack the strike zone this early in his career, what's his ceiling if he puts it all together? Greinke?

Also, I'd have to say that Dykstra has to have cracked the top 15 prospects by this point, it looks like he's adjusted well to the promotion and is sporting an 8.5:1 K/BB ratio with a 1.15 WHIP between the Sally and Carolina Leagues.

5K through 3 for Adams. 1 run on a solo homer.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 08:37 PM)
I love the fact that he's not afraid to attack the strike zone this early in his career, what's his ceiling if he puts it all together? Greinke?

Also, I'd have to say that Dykstra has to have cracked the top 15 prospects by this point, it looks like he's adjusted well to the promotion and is sporting an 8.5:1 K/BB ratio with a 1.15 WHIP between the Sally and Carolina Leagues.

Hopefully Dykstra isn't long at WS, should really be finishing the year at Birmingham given his age.

Second night in a row watching Kanny live, saw both games of DH:

-more stellar D from "Ski" as PRJ calls him

-lotta speed and D from Engel, plays hard like Eaton too, dirtbag status? (check his last 10 in KAN, big revival)

-Brito is way taller than listed

-Ski was killing the ball tonight

-Austin had solid D, above average arm, frames every pitch

-McKenzie had nothing special to him but is groundball pitcher, eventually got hit hard

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 09:59 PM)
Hopefully Dykstra isn't long at WS, should really be finishing the year at Birmingham given his age.

It's his first full season as a pro, I'm good with him finishing in High-A. Next year he can go to AA and hopefully earn a push for AAA by the end of 2015.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 08:58 PM)
Good idea to trade Reed, but a terrible move to waste 40 save value on such a flawed player. They were fooled by his semi-successful cup of coffee in the bigs - a 117+ wRC in AAA translates as a borderline MLBer. Bad scouting, I guess.

Eaton trade looks good. RH will need to do better than 50-50 for the team to turn the corner, though.

Addison Reed fWAR: -.3

Addison Reed bWAR: -3

Matt Davidson fWAR : 0

Matt Davidson bWAR: 0

The Sox "won" that trade, if anyone. Reed was smoke and mirrors and the Sox (as they are prone to) correctly sold high. Davidson is still young and will have a chance in 2015 to turn it around. Reed on the other hand has declining velocity (down to over 2.5 mph from his rookie year) and will be lucky to carve out a decent career as a middle reliever.

Anytime you can trade a "proven closer" entering arbitration for a high minors 3B that has a 50/50 chance to turn into a solid starter -- you make that trade. Hahn has done an excellent job, really the only obvious mistake is the Keppinger signing. Some would argue (not me) the Rios trade was a mistake but other than that his additions have been spot on -- and for the most part, he hasn't spent much money or sold the farm to get good pieces. Reed isn't very good, check his stats. The Sox obviously have a good track record with pitchers and they correctly recognized his downward trend.

Anyways, good to see the system now back to respectability even if the Sox don't hold on to all these guys it certainly helps to have depth to trade from.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 07:58 PM)

The word I got from the Phoenix Branch of my research staff is that the D'backs just did not like what they saw in his 2013 cup of coffee and were going to trade him to someone. The White Sox showed up on their doorstep, and the rest is history. Maybe Reed's velocity has gone down -- I don't know, but he is still a very serviceable relief pitcher. He came in to close a win Saturday and struck out the side. It looked like he was throwing pretty hard to me. I thinks he ranks well ahead of the likes of Lindstrom, Belisario, Webb, Paulino, et al in the relief pitchers' food chain. Then and now.