7/27 Games

OilCan

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 07:19 AM)
The word I got from the Phoenix Branch of my research staff is that the D'backs just did not like what they saw in his 2013 cup of coffee and were going to trade him to someone. The White Sox showed up on their doorstep, and the rest is history. Maybe Reed's velocity has gone down -- I don't know, but he is still a very serviceable relief pitcher. He came in to close a win Saturday and struck out the side. It looked like he was throwing pretty hard to me. I thinks he ranks well ahead of the likes of Lindstrom, Belisario, Webb, Paulino, et al in the relief pitchers' food chain. Then and now.

Yea, that's a risk with these "near majors" prospects who have been on the lists for a while; the teams may be peddling them because they know their flaws. Sox have been burned before with guys like Richar, Zach Stewart and to a lesser extent Molina, et al. (of course, we scored with Quentin). D Backs had good cover with an excess number of 3B and MI.

That's why a lot of teams like to trade for high ceiling A and AA players. I know that the Astros when they were tearing down their ML team, rejected near-ready Dominic Brown in favor of A ball prospects.

No regrets about moving Reed...just hope Davidson isn't a bust.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
Yea, that's a risk with these "near majors" prospects who have been on the lists for a while; the teams may be peddling them because they know their flaws. Sox have been burned before with guys like Richar, Zach Stewart and to a lesser extent Molina, et al. (of course, we scored with Quentin). D Backs had good cover with an excess number of 3B and MI.

That's why a lot of teams like to trade for high ceiling A and AA players. I know that the Astros when they were tearing down their ML team, rejected near-ready Dominic Brown in favor of A ball prospects.

No regrets about moving Reed...just hope Davidson isn't a bust.

For a tear down like the Astros were doing, there was no point in ready made prospects. The bulk of the team wasn't due to get to Houston for years. All Brown would have done, if successful, was get expensive and need to be traded. He didn't fit their time line.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 05:05 AM)
Spencer Adams: 12.57 K/9, 0.81 BB/9

That's slightly inflated by him facing quite a few batters (thanks in part to a BABIP that must be well over .400), but his K and BB rates are still elite - 31.3 K%, 2 BB%.

.391 BABIP. 1.88 FIP. 1.80 SIERA

So stud.