GAME THREAD 7/30: SOX @ DET

cabiness42

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 12:07 AM)
Been his achilles heel since he was a Mariner. Good stuff, just gets in trouble early or late with that big inning.

Agreed, he strikes me as a number 5 starter on a mediocre team. Cooper has done well with him.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 07:04 PM)
Wouldn't shock me at all if tonight's outcome impacts things. Hawk talked about a similar situation a few years ago that resulted in KW not making a particular trade cause the Sox won a game before deadline

I see Hahn as less likely to make a rash decision like that than KW, but it's a good reminder that Noesi and Carroll are both in your rotation. Great stories, but not part of a playoff pitching staff

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 07:00 PM)
Noesi is not afraid of a big inning. He's been a pleasant surprise, but I will be disappointed if he is in the rotation next year

I hope he pitches well enough to be in it. He's been very solid this year and overall has been remarkably good for a guy who hadn't worked out as a starter in a very long time before he got here. Will be interesting to see what Sox think of him considering that big factor - that he's without the proper physical prep for a season-long workload as a starter.

As far as today goes, the delay of the game is probably related to the outcome. He's had several times where it seems like he has reached the mound ill-prepared for the game. It only figures that he'd get mindf***ed by the rain delay. Hopefully he bounces back strongly for the next one.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 12:18 AM)
I hope he pitches well enough to be in it. He's been very solid this year and overall has been remarkably good for a guy who hadn't worked out as a starter in a very long time before he got here. Will be interesting to see what Sox think of him considering that big factor - that he's without the proper physical prep for a season-long workload as a starter.

As far as today goes, the delay of the game is probably related to the outcome. He's had several times where it seems like he has reached the mound ill-prepared for the game. It only figures that he'd get mindf***ed by the rain delay. Hopefully he bounces back strongly for the next one.

Noesi doesn't have a big enough gap between his fastball and change-up tonight. Only 6 mph by my calculations.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 07:30 PM)
With Rienzo warming up, it makes it very unlikely Danks is traded IMO.

Reinzo pitching tonight and a Danks trade have no connection to me. Sox can go many ways If needed Thursday.

I am appalled that our pitching staff was set up to have Sale skip this series and let Noesi throw batting practice to the Tigers. We all know that it will be easier to win the division than make the wild card due to the number of teams to pass in the standings. A sweep of this series would have greatly enhanced those chances, but it appears now that the best we can do is win the series 2-1 (which only gains one game in the standings). Ventura should have had this series highlighted when setting up the rotation after the all star break and Sale should have been one of those on the mound (with Noesi not throwing this series). Just another example of mismanagement by our leader Robin and further proof we will never win a World Series with him at the helm.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 07:44 PM)
I am appalled that our pitching staff was set up to have Sale skip this series and let Noesi throw batting practice to the Tigers. We all know that it will be easier to win the division than make the wild card due to the number of teams to pass in the standings. A sweep of this series would have greatly enhanced those chances, but it appears now that the best we can do is win the series 2-1 (which only gains one game in the standings). Ventura should have had this series highlighted when setting up the rotation after the all star break and Sale should have been one of those on the mound (with Noesi not throwing this series). Just another example of mismanagement by our leader Robin and further proof we will never win a World Series with him at the helm.

Not to mention leaving Leury Garcia out of the line up is beyond puzzling. This joker doesn't want to win.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 07:44 PM)

Know who's ahead of us in both the wild card and the central? KC. They held him out of the first series to face KC.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 06:51 PM)
Know who's ahead of us in both the wild card and the central? KC. They held him out of the first series to face KC.

You're exactly right. KC is ahead of us in the standings, but behind the Detroit. It will much easier to catch them than it will be to catch the Tigers. However, moving past the Royals but not the Tigers still leaves us out of the playoffs (with a worse draft pick). For the best chance at the postseason, you have to pitch your best pitchers against the teams you need to make up the most ground.