Gerardo Parra to MIL

professa

Being shopped by the D-Bags (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/diamondbacks-shopping-gerardo-parra.html). I wouldn't be opposed to a Parra/Viciedo platoon. Parra is a career .286 hitter against RHP and last year hit about .300 with a .820 OPS. Plus Plus defense. Could probably switch over to LF once Avi comes back. Tank is best served as a platoon guy until he can show that he can be consistent.

1. Eaton

2. Parra

3. Abreu

4. Dunn

5. Avisail

6. Gillaspie

7. Alexei

8. Beckham

9. Flo

QUOTE (professa @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
Being shopped by the D-Bags (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/diamondbacks-shopping-gerardo-parra.html). I wouldn't be opposed to a Parra/Viciedo platoon. Parra is a career .286 hitter against RHP and last year hit about .300 with a .820 OPS. Plus Plus defense. Could probably switch over to LF once Avi comes back. Tank is best served as a platoon guy until he can show that he can be consistent.

1. Eaton

2. Parra

3. Abreu

4. Dunn

5. Avisail

6. Gillaspie

7. Alexei

8. Beckham

9. Flo

His defense is not that good anymore. UZR of 26.6 last season to -1.1 this season. Offensively he has been the LH equivalent of DV. They both put up 97 wRC+ last season, this season Viciedo is at 80 and Parra is at 84.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
Anyone have an understanding of why defensive metrics are down on him this year?

Most likely he just hasn't played real well. But unless he's had a serious injury or something, the larger sample (even over 3 years) is vastly more predictive when it comes to those numbers.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)
His defense is not that good anymore.

I don't think it's as simple as saying he's not good anymore. Players have good and bad defensive seasons same as hitting. One thing that drove his high defensive rating is his great arm. Led the league in outfield assists last year. Could be that runners don't run on him as much. Looks like he's made errors at a higher rate this year too. Any reports out of Arizona on his defense?

edit: this made me look up some of his plays. This one from last year is nuts. I can't really imagine any other outfielder making that play.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
I don't think it's as simple as saying he's not good anymore. Players have good and bad defensive seasons same as hitting. One thing that drove his high defensive rating is his great arm. Led the league in outfield assists last year. Could be that runners don't run on him as much. Looks like he's made errors at a higher rate this year too. Any reports out of Arizona on his defense?

edit: this made me look up some of his plays. This one from last year is nuts. I can't really imagine any other outfielder making that play.

He has one of the best arms I've ever seen.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 08:32 AM)
The arm rating is based on whether baserunners get the expected amount of bases. So not running on Parra would prop up his arm rating just like throwing them out would.

There is that, but I've seen a few clips where he created an out where there wasn't one there. The one in the clip I posted where he got a fielders choice on what should have been a routine single to left. One that was just a straight up single to left field, but he threw the guy out at first before he got there. Another where the runner pulling into second rounded the bag by a few feet and Parra threw behind him and got him out. It could be that just an inordinate number of those unusual plays happened to present themselves for him last year and that helped his numbers soar. And/or that runners are way more aware about the possibility of Parra throwing them out in any situation.