"Waiver" Trades

cabiness42

So here we are 30 minutes after the trade deadline and the Sox still haven't traded anybody. So what now?

A. Any and every player on the 40 man roster can (and probably will) be placed on 'revocable waivers' sometime between August 1 and the last day of the regular season [though most players go on waivers within the first few days of August].

B. Every business day, teams get a list of all players placed on waivers the previous day. Teams have three business days to decide whether or not to put in a claim on any player. A claim potentially obligates a team to assume the entirety of the player's remaining contract, whether that be the rest of the current season or any number of future seasons.

C. After three business days, players who were not claimed by any team have 'cleared waivers'. Players who have been claimed by one or more teams have the claim awarded to the claiming team with the worst record (based on the date the player was placed on waivers) within their own league. If none of the claiming teams are within their own league, then the claim is awarded to the claiming team with the worst record in the opposite league.

1. If a player clears waivers, the player's team is free negotiate with and trade him to any team they want at any time they want, just as though it were before the trade deadline.

2. If a claim is awarded, then the player's team may only negotiate with and trade him to the claiming team. The two teams have two business days to complete a deal. By the end of the two days, the player's team has three options:

a. Reject the claim and retain the player until at least the end of the season when they are once again free to negotiate with any team

b. Work out a mutually acceptable trade with the claiming team.

c. Accept the claim and give the player and his entire contract to the claiming team (see Rios, Alex).

That last line is what keeps teams from making claims on players with lots of money left on their contracts. Any time you make a claim on a player there is at least a chance you are stuck with his remaining contract. Danks is almost certain to clear waivers. Dunn is likely to clear waivers, but there might be a team willing to risk taking on the rest of his contract if they are desperate enough for hitting.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)
So here we are 30 minutes after the trade deadline and the Sox still haven't traded anybody. So what now?

A. Any and every player on the 40 man roster can (and probably will) be placed on 'revocable waivers' sometime between August 1 and the last day of the regular season [though most players go on waivers within the first few days of August].

B. Every business day, teams get a list of all players placed on waivers the previous day. Teams have three business days to decide whether or not to put in a claim on any player. A claim potentially obligates a team to assume the entirety of the player's remaining contract, whether that be the rest of the current season or any number of future seasons.

C. After three business days, players who were not claimed by any team have 'cleared waivers'. Players who have been claimed by one or more teams have the claim awarded to the claiming team with the worst record (based on the date the player was placed on waivers) within their own league. If none of the claiming teams are within their own league, then the claim is awarded to the claiming team with the worst record in the opposite league.

1. If a player clears waivers, the player's team is free negotiate with and trade him to any team they want at any time they want, just as though it were before the trade deadline.

2. If a claim is awarded, then the player's team may only negotiate with and trade him to the claiming team. The two teams have two business days to complete a deal. By the end of the two days, the player's team has three options:

a. Reject the claim and retain the player until at least the end of the season when they are once again free to negotiate with any team

c. Accept the claim and give the player and his entire contract to the claiming team (see Rios, Alex).

That last line is what keeps teams from making claims on players with lots of money left on their contracts. Any time you make a claim on a player there is at least a chance you are stuck with his remaining contract. Danks is almost certain to clear waivers. Dunn is likely to clear waivers, but there might be a team willing to risk taking on the rest of his contract if they are desperate enough for hitting.

Could definitely see a team claiming Dunn then not trying to work out a deal in an attempt to just try to take him and his salary on without giving up any players. If I am an NL team that needed another bat on the bench, I'd probably do it.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
Could definitely see a team claiming Dunn then not trying to work out a deal in an attempt to just try to take him and his salary on without giving up any players. If I am an NL team that needed another bat on the bench, I'd probably do it.

So then you're paying a guy $5 million to make what would amount to 60-80 plate appearances (on the optimistic side). There's no way an NL team does that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
So then you're paying a guy $5 million to make what would amount to 60-80 plate appearances (on the optimistic side). There's no way an NL team does that.

Ok a team like the Brewers can take him on to be the right handed pitching part of the platoon with Reynolds

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)

Of course the Sox got L Garcia, so they must have done b.

And doesn't b. require that the player going the other way also clear waivers?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 04:22 PM)

If said player is on the 40-man. If he's not, then nothing needs to be worked out.

I'm talking about when the Sox got Rios, not when they gave him up.

Yes, b. requires the other players in the trade to have cleared waivers if they are on the 40 (or have been claimed by the other team, but I've never heard of a dual claim trade ever happening). There is a workaround in making the trade for a PTBNL, in which case the guy who hasn't cleared waivers stays with his current team until the end of the season and then goes to the other team to complete the trade. Sort of an, "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today" kind of deal.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 04:39 PM)
There is a workaround in making the trade for a PTBNL, in which case the guy who hasn't cleared waivers stays with his current team until the end of the season and then goes to the other team to complete the trade. Sort of an, "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today" kind of deal.

They let teams do that?

Then that takes care of the other half needing to clear waivers.

Danks will clear waivers, so we'll see what happens.

They let teams do that?

Then that takes care of the other half needing to clear waivers.

Danks will clear waivers, so we'll see what happens.

Yes, they let teams do that. If you are the team that is selling the high priced veteran and getting the prospect in return, you probably don't need that prospect for any kind of stretch run for the current season. If you like the prospect enough but can't get him right now, you wait until the end of the season to get him.

Hahn seemed a little upset about failing to execute that 3 team deal. I wonder if that can still be pulled off in the waiver trade month? Is it even possible to work out such a deal during this time?

Possible, yes, but extremely unlikely. All involved players would have to clear waivers, or be included as a PTBNL. Danks is likely to clear waivers, but we don't really know what other teams and players were involved in the deal.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)
Possible, yes, but extremely unlikely. All involved players would have to clear waivers, or be included as a PTBNL. Danks is likely to clear waivers, but we don't really know what other teams and players were involved in the deal.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-he...still-be-traded

I am going to continue this thread for waiver and DFA info, if that is ok.

I saw that there are several names that got listed for dfa. I figure with the trades happening

and several team getting more than 1 player, I thought there might be some players avail.

Evan Scribner rhp Oak

Jose De Paula lhp > release

Zach McAllister rhp cle > does anyone know more about this one. he was dfa but still on the 40 roster

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Anybody seeing any chatter at all about Sox players being on and/or clearing waivers?

Yea, it is really hard to believe the SOX haven't put several of their players on waivers. I would have imagined the Dunn, Danks, Beckham, De Aza would have hit the waiver wire within days of August 1. Why the wait?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
Yea, it is really hard to believe the SOX haven't put several of their players on waivers. I would have imagined the Dunn, Danks, Beckham, De Aza would have hit the waiver wire within days of August 1. Why the wait?

Almost every MLB team puts all their players through the wires.

Probably, they're simply waiting to see which players are claimed (Alexei and Viciedo, I'm assuming) and which ones are not (Dunn, Beckham, DeAza).

The way Hahn has been operating, I don't think we will know anything until one of them has officially been traded unless the other teams' sources leak it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
I assume the waiver sheet looks something like this

Philadelphia

Ryan Howard

Chase Utley

Cole Hamels

Red Sox

Clay Buchholz

Jonny Gomes

White Sox

Bullpen

What is Buchholz's contract?

That might be a Cooper, fixer upper special. He did pitch decently against the White Sox the last time we faced him, although his ERA was 6+ at that moment in time.

How has he been pitching the last two months?

Wonder if we would have claimed Fausto Carmona/Roberto Hernandez had he gotten to the NL. Doubtful. But that's the "ilk" of pitcher we're going to be trolling for as the 4th/5th guy unless we shock the world and sign Scherzer/Shields/Lester or Masterson.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)

You can bet they have. The difference is that our front office doesn't leak this stuff, and the local media isn't determined enough to find it out. Odds are that by now the entire team, or close to it, has been through waivers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
You can bet they have. The difference is that our front office doesn't leak this stuff, and the local media isn't determined enough to find it out. Odds are that by now the entire team, or close to it, has been through waivers.

There will be big "failure/the end of the chapter" stories written about Dunn and Beckham if they depart, but that will be about it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
What is Buchholz's contract?

That might be a Cooper, fixer upper special. He did pitch decently against the White Sox the last time we faced him, although his ERA was 6+ at that moment in time.

How has he been pitching the last two months?

Wonder if we would have claimed Fausto Carmona/Roberto Hernandez had he gotten to the NL. Doubtful. But that's the "ilk" of pitcher we're going to be trolling for as the 4th/5th guy unless we shock the world and sign Scherzer/Shields/Lester or Masterson.

Bucholz has $12 million guaranteed for 2015 and $750k in buyouts. There are $13 million team options in 2016 and 2017 if the buyouts aren't taken.

Since returning from the DL on June 25 his ERA is 5.40. In his last 2 starts he has given up 7 runs in 5 innings both times.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
I assume the waiver sheet looks something like this

Philadelphia

Ryan Howard

Chase Utley

Cole Hamels

Red Sox

Clay Buchholz

Jonny Gomes

White Sox

Bullpen

Teams aren't that specific. They generally put more than half the team through waivers in an attempt to "sneak" players through. They do this because teams have a limited amount of time and a limited number of players that they claim. The GM needs to look through all of the teams and the players to decide who to claim and don't know until later if the claim was awarded so it is a complicated decision.