Sox were close to 3 way deal

GGajewski18

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 09:31 PM)
Rosenthal mentioned that BJ Upton and a Braves pitcher were almost traded, but the Braves ended up backing out. This could be the Sox deal, as Hahn said the other team backed out.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/video?vid=316857923848

Lol no way! BJ sucks pardon the pun. He's a K machine with a huge salary.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minor would make sense.

Santana, zero sense.

Although I don't see BJ Upton, either, since we already have Upton now for CF. The only way would be for Upton to have 50-60% of his deal subsidized or dumping Danks on them for Upton's contract.

Wouldn't want to have Upton and Eaton in the same outfield...unless it was in the NL West or Safeco or Target Field.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
Minor would make sense.

Santana, zero sense.

The player we drafted with the 2nd round pick we'd have lost had we signed Santana came out of high school and clocked in at #5 in the organization on the recently released future sox top prospects list.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)
The player we drafted with the 2nd round pick we'd have lost had we signed Santana came out of high school and clocked in at #5 in the organization on the recently released future sox top prospects list.

Santana's been pretty good for the Braves, but they clearly have no offense right now and are likely to miss the playoffs (especially if Harper gets hot), so that gamble didn't end up paying off.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 11:10 PM)
Yeah the Braves pitcher was Mike Minor or Ervin Santana too. Upton doesn't really make sense on this team though.

Those are only two of the three teams though, you would have to imagine that Upton was headed elsewhere if that were the discussion.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 04:42 PM)
Those are only two of the three teams though, you would have to imagine that Upton was headed elsewhere if that were the discussion.

Right, I was about to post in here about a swap of Danks and De Aza for Upton and Minor (which can make sense to some degree), but that missed a 3rd team. It's still possible the package the Sox would have gotten would have been Upton and Minor with small pieces moving elsewhere too.

Honestly, I'm warming up to the idea of finding a new CF and moving Eaton to LF in a hope of him playing LF would help keep him healthier (less ground to cover means less running, tougher to run into walls face first in the corners as well). But to really justify it would require finding a CF who is as good or better than him defensively. Upton likely fits that category, but unless we were getting something else great back, the contract, him being one of the worst contact hitters in baseball, and his attitude/effort issues of his past really make me think the upside isn't worth the risk.

Now why would the Pirates want to do that?

Just to save money as Alvarez gets more expensive? Do they have anyone to replace him?

Once again, with the premium on power...especially from non-traditional (the last 5 years, and that's starting more and more to include 3B) powers positions, you'd have to be bowled away to give up a player in his prime with that kind of power. I can see if he was in the last year of arbitration and they couldn't agree to a long-term deal, but they haven't reached that point with him yet as far as I know.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 12:06 AM)
Now why would the Pirates want to do that?

Just to save money as Alvarez gets more expensive? Do they have anyone to replace him?

Once again, with the premium on power...especially from non-traditional (the last 5 years, and that's starting more and more to include 3B) powers positions, you'd have to be bowled away to give up a player in his prime with that kind of power. I can see if he was in the last year of arbitration and they couldn't agree to a long-term deal, but they haven't reached that point with him yet as far as I know.

Scot Gregor speculated about him. I put it in the Alvarez thread in trade winds.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 04:24 AM)
Bye bye Sale. Q, or Rodon

It would take Sale and Hawkins/Montas/T.Anderson/Micah Johnson or Danish if they didn't include Rodon AND Sale.

There's just too much possible injury risk for another team to acquire just Sale as a centerpiece for a fellow franchise position player.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)
No, if the Sox said Sale was available and they wanted Stanton, the Marlins would pull the trigger so fast your head would spin.

This. The sox have probably the most valuable asset in all of baseball besides Mike trout.

Hahn said it was a player they have been coveting for a while. I'm guessing that knocks out BJ Upton and if they really wanted Santana, they could have had him this past winter. As for Stanton, if this trade was a 3 way, that means whoever the Sox were offering was/where going to a 3rd team, so unless the info actually comes out some day, it is really going to be tough to figure out because the team the player would be coming from wouldn't be getting equal value White Sox players.

I honestly believe it was Grandal. It's not like we were going to be trading for overvalued assets at the deadline. Grandal's stock is clearly down and perhaps the Padres' interim front office had concerns about him long-term and liked what Hahn had to offer.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
While we're talking about guys like Dunn and Alvarez, what about Granderson? He fits in the same category with those guys, and was supposedly a target in the offseason. Maybe some home cookin will do him well. Probably wouldn't trade for him unless the Mets, or a 3rd team takes back Danks though.

Granderson seems like a terrible idea.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
While we're talking about guys like Dunn and Alvarez, what about Granderson? He fits in the same category with those guys, and was supposedly a target in the offseason. Maybe some home cookin will do him well. Probably wouldn't trade for him unless the Mets, or a 3rd team takes back Danks though.

If someone had claimed Granderson, it wouldn't have surprised me in the least if the Mets let that team take him off their hands for nothing in return. So no.