8/2 Game Thread- Sox vs Twins 6:10 PM CT

Jose Abreu

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It must be tough to watch this team day in, day out where there are some guys who are really bad at baseball that kill any positives and that heavily contribute to losses. This team could easily be above .500. You have guys like Sale and Abreu who are really good and then you have guys like Blowsario, De Aza, the bullpen in general that are baseball bad.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 10:31 PM)
You have guys like Sale and Abreu who are really good and then you have guys like Blowsario, De Aza, the bullpen in general that are baseball bad.

De Aza batting .313 with an .813 OPS over the last 2 months

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 09:57 PM)
De Aza batting .313 with an .813 OPS over the last 2 months

It's not a good fit. General Boneheadedness is not a quantifiable statistic but if it were it would negate plenty of the value you speak of.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 09:23 PM)
Pretty sure that dropped baseballs don't show up in cherry-picked OPS's.

Not in OPSs of course but they show up in other statistics. The sum of those statistics being that he has been a very valuable player for the Sox.

Sad to see an exciting comeback like that wasted because of Hahn's horrid bullpen.

That's the kind of game a .500 team wins at home. You come back and grab the lead, then you finish the deal. Sox can't finish s*** this year cause of the stiffs in the bullpen. Sad.

Kudos to Beckham for a nice offensive game. Occasionally he does things the right way like going to right field and guess what Gordon? It works. He just doesn't do that near enough.

Ditto Tank. Both need to get a fricking clue cause they both have talent.

Horrific defeat against a lousy team, though. Sox bullpen hacks wasted a helluva comeback tonight.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 01:54 AM)
I can't imagine what the meathead, casual fan thinks of the Reed for Davidson trade when all they do is look at Reed's save total and Davidson's .198 average in AAA.

Me and the guy on All in The Family. We "meatheads." Of course I hate the trade. The Sox truly could use Reed. And Davidson is horrid and the Sox have gotten a great year out of another 3B, Gillaspie, who looks like Wade Boggs, Jr. If Gillaspie could develop some power to go with the liners, he'd be quite a story.

Why are we meatheads for HATING that trade?

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 02:15 AM)
Hahn needs to put bellyflop on waivers right now.....

Best post of thread. It's DFA time again for a member of the White Sox. Shelve him like Downs.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 10:09 PM)
Please give examples of boneheadedness that do not show up in statistics

Because you can never say what would have happened for sure if said boneheadedness never occurred. It's easy tonight because you can speculate with some degree of confidence that we probably win the game if he catches it. But getting picked off in the 3rd inning is much tougher.

My brother and I were saying Robin should have broken etiquette and showed up Belly on the mound somehow. We had the idea of Robin motioning to the bullpen and somebody brings out a dead cat and drops it on the mound and then he makes Belly hand the dead cat the ball.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 03:38 AM)
Me and the guy on All in The Family. We "meatheads." Of course I hate the trade. The Sox truly could use Reed. And Davidson is horrid and the Sox have gotten a great year out of another 3B, Gillaspie, who looks like Wade Boggs, Jr. If Gillaspie could develop some power to go with the liners, he'd be quite a story.

Why are we meatheads for HATING that trade?

Wasn't referring to you. I was talking about the average person who isn't on a Sox message board and just looks at the stats in the paper, etc.

That was just terrible, DeAza.

Saw the replay.

Any play like that get back to the fence FIRST, at least the warning track...then you aren't drifting with the ball so it can go over your head at the last moment, gust of wind, etc.

We've had a hard enough time getting off 3 games under .500, we are FINALLY within range of that mark and just muff it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 03:50 AM)
Wasn't referring to you. I was talking about the average person who isn't on a Sox message board and just looks at the stats in the paper, etc.

No problem.

This current bullpen blows so bad it freaks me out. I know Hahn was counting on Nate Jones and Lindstrom, but like you wrote, Lindstrom wasn't all that. And I never liked Nate. Webb has been miserable. I just feel Reed was better than average at closing out games and Hahn doesn't take enough crap for some of his bad moves. This one right now has hurt this year's team.

Somebody will probably find an advanced stat to say our record would only be a couple games better with a good bullpen. I say b.s. to that. Anybody with eyes can see the bullpen has been total buzzkill, wrecking a possible WC season.

Just my two cents.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 11:29 PM)
Not in OPSs of course but they show up in other statistics. The sum of those statistics being that he has been a very valuable player for the Sox.

Please don't go there.....

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 10:29 PM)

I would be pretty willing to bet money that no statistic adequately couches the two runs and lost game from tonight.