8/3 Game-thread- Quintana vs. Gibson. 1:10 CSN

BigHurt3515

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That ball by Arcia is going to challenge Borchard's for the all-time longest in stadium history.

They'll probably give it to Joe, just because he's a home player. McGwire to LF also had a ball that bounced off or right in front of the New Era cap shop, that was the longest one I can remember witnessing personally.

Pasqua had a bomb to RF, too.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 05:47 PM)
Have you seen our pitching staffs at AAA and AA? We sadly have nobody to replace these guys.

Hell I'd rather see Cleto back. He sucked but at least him throwing 100 was entertaining to watch.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 05:40 PM)
Wait , wasn't it your pretty stats who said that? ;)

I think sabermetrics post moneyball has gone too far. There are fans out there now that think they would be able to build a team/manage a team based on numbers alone. Yes numbers are important but so is having a feel for the game and knowing your players. Even if a guys "periphial" numbers look good, sometimes it's clear they just don't pass the eye test. Belisario has been one of those guys that just hasn't passed the eye test all year regardless of what the advance metrics were saying.

One would hope that's the last time we ever see Rienzo in a White Sox uniform.

But it probably won't be.

Arcia's ball landed in the middle of the concourse and bounced over the Section 105/106 sign onto the roof of whatever's behind the concourse.

Edited by caulfield12

I still like Rienzo. I believe he would be a solid mop up guy in the future. He's just been all over the place as a starter, reliever. I dont think he's the type of guy who should only be pitching an inning to. Same with Surkamp. Problem is, we have too many of those types. As someone pointed out, you can probably name one.. maybe two guys in our pen you can consider locks for next season.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 06:08 PM)
I still like Rienzo. I believe he would be a solid mop up guy in the future. He's just been all over the place as a starter, reliever. I dont think he's the type of guy who should only be pitching an inning to. Same with Surkamp. Problem is, we have too many of those types. As someone pointed out, you can probably name one.. maybe two guys in our pen you can consider locks for next season.

I think Rienzo profiles well as a reliever because he has a good heater and generally is too iffy to see a bunch of batters. I think his cutter would play up against righties too (uses it like a slider). He just hasn't really done it before and is so all over the place he probably won't be right until next year.

Surkamp is a sinker baller who has historically been better against righties and never relieved before. There were a lot of reasons to think it wouldn't go well. The sinker won't play up out of the pen and he's seeing a ton of lefties. Tough to quantify the effect of learning to be a reliever as well.

6-8 on the season series against the Twins.

Has to be better than that against the worst team in your division.

LOL at someone who's so positive it's making Rongey going negative....good trick!! Even HE has to admit the bullpen has to addressed due to the poor performance this past month...Petricka, outside of a few outings, and considering his lack of experience as a closer, has done about as well as anyone could reasonably have expected coming into 2014. Same with Putnam.

As far the rest of the bullpen...yikes. To me, Webb has been the biggest disappointment, but a lot of that was based on unrealistic expectations.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
I think Rienzo profiles well as a reliever because he has a good heater and generally is too iffy to see a bunch of batters. I think his cutter would play up against righties too (uses it like a slider). He just hasn't really done it before and is so all over the place he probably won't be right until next year.

Surkamp is a sinker baller who has historically been better against righties and never relieved before. There were a lot of reasons to think it wouldn't go well. The sinker won't play up out of the pen and he's seeing a ton of lefties. Tough to quantify the effect of learning to be a reliever as well.

Except that's one of Putnam's best pitches. You want to keep the ball on the ground as reliever for the DP ball late in the game, instead of elevating it for sac flies (that's assuming you don't have the ability to get many K's and have marginal stuff for the big leagues).

When it's on, Rienzo's best pitch is his curveball. He just doesn't have enough confidence in it to throw it consistently.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 07:20 PM)
Sox bullpen gave up 22 runs on 29 hits in 9 innings against the Lowly Twins this series. They did fan 10 so I bet their collective xFIP is a little lower than 22.00. Which is nice.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 07:01 PM)
Arcia's ball landed in the middle of the concourse and bounced over the Section 105/106 sign onto the roof of whatever's behind the concourse.

Borchard and maybe Pasqua have hit the concourse. Is that the third ever?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 12:16 AM)
6-8 on the season series against the Twins.

Has to be better than that against the worst team in your division.

LOL at someone who's so positive it's making Rongey going negative....good trick!! Even HE has to admit the bullpen has to addressed due to the poor performance this past month...Petricka, outside of a few outings, and considering his lack of experience as a closer, has done about as well as anyone could reasonably have expected coming into 2014. Same with Putnam.

As far the rest of the bullpen...yikes. To me, Webb has been the biggest disappointment, but a lot of that was based on unrealistic expectations.

On a happier note, Daughtry is on live now on yahoo screen. Sorry to pollute this thread, but it's good music. Great concert.