Taylor Thompson demoted - Maikel Cleto recalled

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)
There's the man to fall on the sword after the disaster today. No corresponding move yet.

Typical White Sox. Rookie pitcher is the fall guy when one of the veterans (Rienzo, Belisario, Guerra) could just as easily be scapegoated off the roster. Surkamp's been around a bit, too. He's not exactly a spring chicken.

NESTOR MOLINA will save the day and validate KW as the all-time smartest GM ever...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)
Cleto's last 5 appearances:

7.2 innings

2 hits

1 bb

13 k

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 06:41 PM)
I heard the other night, that he was throwing 99-100.

Welp, why the f*** not

Cleto or Molina, just try SOMEONE new...anything would be better than Rienzo or Guerra. Surkamp, if we actually had another legitimate option, should be replaced as well.

Ozzie would DFA Rienzo for not at least throwing at a Twins' hitter after the Arcia homer....and would have blown a gasket letting a rookie catcher hit the 3rd consecutive (and first career) homer. Ozzie would have had Fryer down in the dirt dusting himself off, lol. (Reminds me of past incidents with Garland and Sean Tracey, ah, the Guillen Era).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 06:45 PM)
Guerra just being the guy with the least desirable mix of recent performance, track record, and potential development

Coming into today's game, he had fanned 5 of the last 6 batters he faced and had 5 or 6 scoreless appearances in a row. His track record is at least as good as anyone else's, and certainly better than Thompson's.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 06:51 PM)
If each pitcher in the bullpen was rated by recent performance, track record and potential Thompson would rank last in each category.

I'm not really on an anti-Guerra crusade, he's just the guy who screams "DJ Carrasco" in our pen. ie, seems to be over his skis, not great stuff, has been exposed to lots of MLB and MiLB and just doesn't seem that great. But this falls into what I was saying in the game thread, which is that our bullpen isn't stuffed with "worst" pitcher types, it just lacks "best" pitchers. Who do you go to when it matters? After Petricka, there are no obvious answers

Thompson isn't exactly a super-duper exciting guy, but has been successful as a closer at every level - seemed like a guy who might have earned a longer shot at creating a valid sample size. With that said, if we're going to send guys down with options rather than cut boring vets like Guerra, Rienzo seems like the better candidate for that...and might be later this week when Putnam returns

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 07:11 PM)
I'm not really on an anti-Guerra crusade, he's just the guy who screams "DJ Carrasco" in our pen. ie, seems to be over his skis, not great stuff, has been exposed to lots of MLB and MiLB and just doesn't seem that great. But this falls into what I was saying in the game thread, which is that our bullpen isn't stuffed with "worst" pitcher types, it just lacks "best" pitchers. Who do you go to when it matters? After Petricka, there are no obvious answers

Thompson isn't exactly a super-duper exciting guy, but has been successful as a closer at every level - seemed like a guy who might have earned a longer shot at creating a valid sample size. With that said, if we're going to send guys down with options rather than cut boring vets like Guerra, Rienzo seems like the better candidate for that...and might be later this week when Putnam returns

24 or 25 year olds racking up saves in high A isn't really a sign of future major league success. I do agree there were other candidates that could have been sent down or even released, but Thompson off the roster is zero loss. Rienzo has to be next. They hardly use him.

4-5 days ago I made a simple, one sentence, non-combative statement saying that Sox trading Addison Reed didn't help the bullpen, or if he were still here it would be better, or something like that, and I was promptly villified by 3-4 posters, 2 of whom are mods, basically insinuating that I don't know what I'm talking about, calling me a troll and that our bullpen is fine without him, even telling us what the Sox bullpen ERA is vs Reed's ERA, etc. etc. as if his 26 saves are irrelevant to the discussion, or words to that effect. The fact is the Sox bullpen imploded this weekend, and Reed had a scoreless inning today with 3 K's, not that that makes any difference. I still say Reed would have helped this team this year. A lot.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)
Cleto's last 5 appearances:

7.2 innings

2 hits

1 bb

13 k

I'm glad we kept him around. He's got "stuff" that's for sure.

Guerra's been fine most of the time.

The pen lacks 2 high end arms - it currently has none of these. Too much pressure has been put on the other guys. Also, only 1 lefty is a problem.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 07:40 PM)
4-5 days ago I made a simple, one sentence, non-combative statement saying that Sox trading Addison Reed didn't help the bullpen, or if he were still here it would be better, or something like that, and I was promptly villified by 3-4 posters, 2 of whom are mods, basically insinuating that I don't know what I'm talking about, calling me a troll and that our bullpen is fine without him, even telling us what the Sox bullpen ERA is vs Reed's ERA, etc. etc. as if his 26 saves are irrelevant to the discussion, or words to that effect. The fact is the Sox bullpen imploded this weekend, and Reed had a scoreless inning today with 3 K's, not that that makes any difference. I still say Reed would have helped this team this year. A lot.

I agree with you. I keep reading how below average Reed has been, but they have lost 3 games in his save situations. The Sox have already lost 6 games leading in the 9th. That is 3 games right there. Plus, everyone talks about Lindstrom and Jones being out made everyone else worse. Wouldn't that mean not replacing Reed made everyone else worse?

Try not to take it too personally. It is just stubborn people who got too excited about some decent numbers put up in Reno and they don't want to admit they were wrong. Hahn made some great moves in the offseason. The Reed trade wasn't one of them.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 07:40 PM)

Given that the Sox #1 & #2 closer options have pitched a total of 19 innings this season, I imagine Reed would probably be on the DL now too given our luck.