Taylor Thompson demoted - Maikel Cleto recalled

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 05:36 PM)
Typical White Sox. Rookie pitcher is the fall guy when one of the veterans (Rienzo, Belisario, Guerra) could just as easily be scapegoated off the roster. Surkamp's been around a bit, too. He's not exactly a spring chicken.

NESTOR MOLINA will save the day and validate KW as the all-time smartest GM ever...

Stink spreads. They wanted him away from the bad vets.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 08:22 PM)
Even if Matt Davidson never plays a single game for the White Sox, that still can't be considered a bad trade. As a rebuilding team that is not contending, you can get a top 100 prospect for a mediocre closer? You make that trade every single time.

Well, we disagree here, Hurt.

First, Reed is not just a mediocre closer. 40 saves last year, 26 so far this year. He is a solid right handed relief pitcher who has paid his dues. He might not be an all star, but he is not exactly a hobo who just showed up on your street corner either. He is good enough to make virtually every major league roster, especially the White Sox roster. He is a big step up from mediocre.

Second, whoever listed Davidson as a top 100 prospect had a figment in his newton. That rating was a joke. His stats this year prove it.

Third, with the emergence of Abreu, Eaton, and Gilaspie and the improved play of Alexei and the continued excellence of Sale and Q, this perhaps could have been a (wild card) contending team. Reed would have helped.

As Dick Allen said, Bad Trade.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 03:48 AM)
Congrats. You are a smarter person than Rick Hahn.

Hahn's bullpen is perilously close to being a fireable offense. I mean ... my gawd. Embarrassing. The Twinks hitting 3 homers in a row and one ball into the Ozone?? It truly is embarrassing. Arcia could have killed somebody had he hit a liner instead of hitting the ball to Gary, Indiana.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 10:15 PM)
Hahn's bullpen is perilously close to being a fireable offense. I mean ... my gawd. Embarrassing. The Twinks hitting 3 homers in a row and one ball into the Ozone?? It truly is embarrassing. Arcia could have killed somebody had he hit a liner instead of hitting the ball to Gary, Indiana.

Take a look at what Belly and Downs did in previous years. The thought was there. Dude doesn't have a crystal ball.

Those 2 guys pitch like they did in the past and Jones and Lindstrom stay healthy and this pen is fine.

Saying it's a fireable offense is well, offensive.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 08:03 PM)
Reed would obviously help this bullpen, but was far from a priority for us when we traded him. I have a feeling the horrible Arizona team probably would just assume not have traded a promising prospect for a meh closer as well.

An extreme flyball closer was always going to be a recipe for disaster here. The book isn't closed on Davidson yet.

It is also very easy to overstate the importance of bullpen upgrades

You don't have to pitch to a DH in the NL. An AL pitcher going the NL has a better chance of being successful.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 10:15 PM)

Kill yourself.

Hahn's been really unlucky with his bullpen, no-one could have predicted that he'd lose both Lindstrom and Jones to injury and that Bela and Down would suck so badly.

That's 4 veteran guys who have either not been around or failed in the pen. It's meant that the youngsters such as Petricka have had to step up and there is only so much that these guys can do.

I don't know who the corresponding move will be, but whoever it is, they can't be any worse than we have. It may be Cleto, I hear he's got his fastball back to full pelt.

I feel sorry for Thompson as he looked ok when he first came up, but since the bullpen have collapsed, it looks like the morale of the whole pen has crashed and that has to come from the veterans and Thompson has been poor since then.

Lindstrom and Putnam will be due back soon, I fully expect Bela to be released and Surkamp sent back down / released to make way. I'd rather have a pen of all righties than Surkamp.

I think Rienzo will be sent down and replaced with someone else which leaves Guerra, who I think may be the only one that pitched last night that survives the expected cull.

Last night was embarrassing and something needs to be done about it, I don't believe that Thompson will be the only casualty

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 06:36 PM)
Typical White Sox. Rookie pitcher is the fall guy when one of the veterans (Rienzo, Belisario, Guerra) could just as easily be scapegoated off the roster. Surkamp's been around a bit, too. He's not exactly a spring chicken.

NESTOR MOLINA will save the day and validate KW as the all-time smartest GM ever...

wat

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
Cleto called up

Feeky is thrilled.

What is the over/under on Cleto walks before he gets to go see Charlotte again?

He has been on a roll, and throws hard, so I guess you have to give it a try considering the other options.

Edited by Dick Allen