FutureSox Top 25 Prospects List - Midseason

NorthSideSox72

Twice a year, FutureSox publishes a list of the top prospects in the White Sox system. We release in two parts - first the 11-25 list, then the 1-10 and full list (including players who just missed). The list is created via a voting system - this time we had 6 voters (danman31, Ozzie Ball, Chisoxfn, Balta1701, witesoxfan and myself).

The Midseason 11-25 list is now up.

Let's have some discussion. What do you think of this list? Anyone who you think should have made it but didn't? Anyone too high? Who's your Top 10 (which we will release Thursday)?

FULL TOP 25 LIST NOW OUT - Here it is

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first thought, LOVE that Dykstra made it at 25. I really think he's gonna be a good one, even though I think he's a little low.

Surprised Bassitt didn't make the 11-25 with how much he is regarded around here, no way he's in the top 10.

Honestly think Trey might be too low at 11, I believe I had him at 8.

Also love that Rondon came in the top 25, even though 14 might be a little high but I have no real complaints.

Only bummer, I'm a huge Wendelken guy, think he can crack it by beginning of next season.

My take on the top 10

1. Rodon

2. Anderson

3. Johnson

4. Montas

5. Hawkins

6. Davidson

7. Danish

8. Adams

9. Sanchez

10. Ravelo

Edited by SoxPride18

Dykstra was one of a handful of pitchers right around the 25 mark - Bassitt and Recchia were there and just missed. Guerrero just eked past Dysktra. Olacio was close too. Hard to say who is best of those 5, really.

Wendelken was discussed too, but fell a bit short.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
Also love that Rondon came in the top 25, even though 14 might be a little high but I have no real complaints.

Rondon is an interesting one to rank due to the lack of offensive ability. I think prospects like him are usually underrated on lists like this, but I think his defensive ability alone males him the most likely Major Leaguer outside of the top 10. Even if he never becomes more than a replacement level hitter his glove will still allow him to be a positive contributor. Also, while the sample size in A+ is still too small to take any real value from, his 12.8 K% is very encouraging and if he can maintain a

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
Rondon is an interesting one to rank due to the lack of offensive ability. I think prospects like him are usually underrated on lists like this, but I think his defensive ability alone males him the most likely Major Leaguer outside of the top 10. Even if he never becomes more than a replacement level hitter his glove will still allow him to be a positive contributor. Also, while the sample size in A+ is still too small to take any real value from, his 12.8 K% is very encouraging and if he can maintain a

This perfectly sums up my feelings on Rondon. Frankly, the Sox had a shortstop 20 years ago that I think works as a good comparison.

EDIt: Well maybe not perfectly, as Ozzie was a pretty good hitter in the minors. We'll call that an optimistic projection.

I think Bassitt not in the top 25 is a big miss, he's a bit old, but has excelled in every level he has pitched. He has a strong chance of cracking the rotation next year, if not end up in the bullpen. If Rondon is 14 based on floor alone, Bassitt should be much higher as well. I personally also think Bassitt has a higher ceiling/floor than Snodgress, and he's 20.

And where do you guys see Martinez rank? He's one name that could really sky rocket next year.

For me, Bassitt missing most of the year is a red flag. Adam Lopez is a guy I've always really liked too, but he's been injured and I didn't even list him. I don't mind injuries as much for hitters as they can usually work their way back out of it, but it seems that one bad injury to a pitcher can break him.

We'll have to see on Martinez. Adolfo obviously has a little more hype to him due to the signing bonus, but those decnet sized Latin American signings need to show a bit more before they get a lot of attention paid to them.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
Twice a year, FutureSox publishes a list of the top prospects in the White Sox system. We release in two parts - first the 11-25 list, then the 1-10 and full list (including players who just missed). The list is created via a voting system - this time we had 6 voters (danman31, Ozzie Ball, Chisoxfn, Balta1701, witesoxfan and myself).

The Midseason 11-25 list is now up.

Let's have some discussion. What do you think of this list? Anyone who you think should have made it but didn't? Anyone too high? Who's your Top 10 (which we will release Thursday)?

Excellent list, few quibbles. I imagine the top 10 will be more polarizing.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)
I think Bassitt not in the top 25 is a big miss, he's a bit old, but has excelled in every level he has pitched. He has a strong chance of cracking the rotation next year, if not end up in the bullpen. If Rondon is 14 based on floor alone, Bassitt should be much higher as well. I personally also think Bassitt has a higher ceiling/floor than Snodgress, and he's 20.

And where do you guys see Martinez rank? He's one name that could really sky rocket next year.

I personally felt Bassitt and Recchia belonged in the T25 (had them both in the 20-25 range on my list), but I wouldn't call either a "big miss". They, Dykstra, and those others are all pretty close in value.

One thing this discussion does speak to, that the voters all agreed on, is that there is more depth in the 20-30, and heck even 30-40 range in this system than there has been in a long time. Those aren't going to be big time prospects of course, but there were a lot of guys in that range that have a shot at contributing.

Martinez got some love from a few voters, you'll see him on the "just missed" list when we release the full list Thursday.

Between Bassitt, Recchia, Dykstra, and Snodgress, Bassitt is the only one with a plus fastball, which tops out at 95 mph when he starts. If he continues to improve on his change and curve, he has a good chance of sticking as a starter. Even if he ends up in the bullpen, he can be an effective high leverage reliever, which you can't say for most of the other guys. That's why I'd put him over the others.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
I was surprised to see Adolfo nearly cracking the top ten after just starting his professional career

I think we are collectively drinking the Kool-Aid and buying into his high upside. He's 17 and already hitting for really good power.

Sweet Jesus does Adolfo have a catastrophic K rate. This level might be too high for him to get better. That would make Jared Mitchell blush. Tough call for the Sox to get him near our best instructors but still try to keep the competition level manageable.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
I think we are collectively drinking the Kool-Aid and buying into his high upside. He's 17 and already hitting for really good power.

Yeah I understand the hype and tools. He would just be more in the 20-25 range for me until he actually starting putting up decent numbers due to his unknown levels of competition/baseball experience.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 07:59 PM)
Sweet Jesus does Adolfo have a catastrophic K rate. This level might be too high for him to get better. That would make Jared Mitchell blush. Tough call for the Sox to get him near our best instructors but still try to keep the competition level manageable.

40% K% is really not so bad for his age, and as has been mentioned he's displaying good power with at least a reasonable ability to draw a walk. Overall I would say his performance has been encouraging. Obviously the K% will need to come down in the future but for now it's not a huge concern. I was worried that he might come out this year and slash .150/.180/.270 or something in that range. I definitely think he's in the right place.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 01:03 PM)
I know Eric Johnson has graduated, but I was wondering where in the top 25 you all thought he would rank if he was still eligible after this season. Particularly in relationship to Adams/Montas/Danish.

Thanks

I'd probably rate him below all of them.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
I know Eric Johnson has graduated, but I was wondering where in the top 25 you all thought he would rank if he was still eligible after this season. Particularly in relationship to Adams/Montas/Danish.

Thanks

Below Adams, above the other two, for me. But honestly, he's such a weird case, I'm glad I didn't have to think about it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
Below Adams, above the other two, for me. But honestly, he's such a weird case, I'm glad I didn't have to think about it.

Agreed. If it was purely numbers based, I probably would have him higher then I just posted, however, when your stuff has dissipated, I get a lot more concerned.

Yeah, I am glad too. It's hard to sit here and say that Johnson would have dropped such a great deal and Davidson wouldn't even though both have had incredibly disappointing years, but Johnson's velocity is down like 2-3 MPH from last year and his command is way worse.