It's about that time of the year again...

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 21, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
Very limited interest in the MLB Draft. Football and basketball drafts attract attention because the players most likely will make the roster the following year. I am pretty sure I heard where 1 player from the 2012 draft has made it to a ML roster other than the Sept call-ups.

I have zero interest in the MLB Draft but I am outnumbered on this board. Don't care.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (professa @ Sep 21, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
Avi Garcia's numbers translated to 550 ABs:

26 HRs 99 RBIs 51 BBs .793 OPS

Yummy. Also, it's not unreasonable to expect an improvement since many of his at bats where of the "getting reacclimated" variety.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 21, 2014 -> 11:31 PM)
Yummy. Also, it's not unreasonable to expect an improvement since many of his at bats where of the "getting reacclimated" variety.

Good point. In the month of September he is slashing .308/.378/.492 with 3 HRs, 3 2Bs, 3 SBs and 11 RBIs. Over 600 PAs, that would end up being an .870 OPS with 24 HRs, 24 2Bs, 24 SBs and 89 RBIs. That's pretty much All-Star level play. The most impressive thing to me is that he has raised his walk rate to 10.8% and lowered his K rate to 17.5%.

He just looks like he's guessing on every pitch. IMO, if he is going to be a guess hitter, then we're probably seeing his ceiling right now.

That said, he's still young and just missed a season. There's no reason to "give up" on him yet, but he's going to have to show substantial improvement in his pitch recognition and his approach to hitting next year if we're going to be able to depend on him as a future piece of the core.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 21, 2014 -> 11:31 PM)

I would definitely expect an improvement over a full year of play.

Everyone forgets how young he still is, and how much learning he still has to accomplish at the ML level

White Sox have moved back to #10 again.....

Are 6.5 GB of the #4 pick

Are 5 GB of the #5 pick

Are 3.5 GB of the #6 pick

Are 2.5 GB of the #7 pick

Are 0.5 GB of the #9 pick

Are 3 games ahead of the Marlins for a protected pick.

Also, the Dbacks have finally dethroned the Rangers as the worst record in baseball. Texas held that spot for most of the season.

Sox are really trying their hardest to just f*** this season up even more by winning these pointless games.

Sox are now tied for the #10 pick. They win the tiebreaker with the Reds, however, because the Marlins are the 12th spot and the Marlins had a worse record last season, THEY win the tiebreaker over the Sox if they would become tied for the 11th pick......in conclusion....

6 GB of the Twins for the #5 pick

4 GB of the Red Sox for the #6 pick

3.5 GB of the Astros/Cubs for the #7/#8 pick

1 GB of the Phillies for the #9 pick

0.5 games ahead of the Reds for the #11 pick

2 games ahead of the Marlins for a protected pick.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 08:58 PM)
Sox are really trying their hardest to just f*** this season up even more by winning these pointless games.

Sox are now tied for the #10 pick. They win the tiebreaker with the Reds, however, because the Marlins are the 12th spot and the Marlins had a worse record last season, THEY win the tiebreaker over the Sox if they would become tied for the 11th pick......in conclusion....

6 GB of the Twins for the #5 pick

4 GB of the Red Sox for the #6 pick

3.5 GB of the Astros/Cubs for the #7/#8 pick

1 GB of the Phillies for the #9 pick

0.5 games ahead of the Reds for the #11 pick

2 games ahead of the Marlins for a protected pick.

whew..... I just thought the sox were just trying to piss me off.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 05:07 PM)
I have given up on the Sox doing much to improve their draft position over the next 6 days. At this point, I just want them to break Detroit's hearts.

Again, we gain SO much more to gain by having guys like Garcia and Bassitt taking big steps forward, then we do from moving up a couple of draft spots. The one caveat I wills say is that I don't want them go finish any better than 10th worst, as it could really limit this off season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 05:09 PM)
Again, we gain SO much more to gain by having guys like Garcia and Bassitt taking big steps forward, then we do from moving up a couple of draft spots. The one caveat I wills say is that I don't want them go finish any better than 10th worst, as it could really limit this off season.

That's pretty much my view as well. Though sans maybe VMart there's not really a guy I want who's more than likely gonna get a QO so I'm not real concerned about that either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 11:09 PM)

I would love to have the best possible position for a draft pick. however as you said about

Garcia and Bassitt and any other prospects playing, yeah it is great for them to be in the

majors. win or loose, they will gain valuable experience.

if the decision is to draft a player like Brendan Rodgers a hs ss at #5-11 than Dansby Swanson

hs ss at #12-14, the talent is a big drop off. the first one will really help in the rebuild and help

the rebuild go faster. (just comparing prospect at the same position)

lets look at pitching, again the drop off is just as big.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 22, 2014 -> 06:56 AM)
He just looks like he's guessing on every pitch. IMO, if he is going to be a guess hitter, then we're probably seeing his ceiling right now.

That said, he's still young and just missed a season. There's no reason to "give up" on him yet, but he's going to have to show substantial improvement in his pitch recognition and his approach to hitting next year if we're going to be able to depend on him as a future piece of the core.

How on earth can you say he looks like he's guessing ? And is that a bad thing ? Most hitters guess at pitches . No one can hit a +FB with just reaction time alone . You have to be looking for it. Educated guessing is what separate's the good hitters from the mediocre. Know the game situation ,work the count , see ass many pitches as possible, know pitcher's tendencies by studying film and you can guess pretty damn good a lot of the time. It's being a smart hitter but it's still guessing.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

We avoided another close call tonight.

If the Padres win, we will be 3.5 games ahead of a protected pick. If they don't win, we will 3 games ahead of a protected pick.

The Cubs and Phillies are the only realistic teams we could pass in these last 5 games.

2.5 GB of the Cubs for the 8th pick, 1 GB of the Phillies for the 9th pick.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 11:01 PM)
We avoided another close call tonight.

If the Padres win, we will be 3.5 games ahead of a protected pick. If they don't win, we will 3 games ahead of a protected pick.

The Cubs and Phillies are the only realistic teams we could pass in these last 5 games.

2.5 GB of the Cubs for the 8th pick, 1 GB of the Phillies for the 9th pick.

Hopefully we can lock down the protected pick by saturday, so the sox can give paulie a W.