Tony Stewart purposefully ran someone over?

facebook link

Mark Tychoniewicz

12 hours ago

i have driven these cars,the right side board on the top wing will block out an entire car let alone a person standing there,i now work on the 45 car in the video and the driver said he just saw him at the last second and just missed him,Tony had even less time to react to the situation.people in the stands or watching this video have no idea how fast these thing happen and how limited our view is inside the car.it was a very bad turn of events that happened but we all know the dangers involved in the sport we love.

Just now · Like

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 12:44 AM)
Pure speculation on your part rightnow that Stewart was pissed off here.

Maybe Stewart did it on purpose, maybe Stewart was just trying to scare him or maybe it was just a freak accident but the other driver is a f***ing moron for putting himself and Stewart in this situation.

Yeah, Ward put Stewart in that situation...... nice victim-blaming.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 01:02 AM)
Ah, so he just blindly slammed on the gas then. Even smarter.

There is no proof he slammed the gas.... Your speculation is as good as anyone else's. The video was shot from the other side of the track. The engine noise could have been coming from any car.

Also apparently sprint cars like to stall out when running slow, so you have to constantly slam the gas to keep the engine running when under caution.

It appears this was a horrible accident either way. If this guy wasn't so stupid he'd be alive, that's a fact.

David S. Weinsten, a former state and federal prosecutor in Miami who is now in private practice, said it would be difficult to prove criminal intent.

"I think even with the video, it's going to be tough to prove that this was more than just an accident and that it was even culpable negligence, which he should've known or should've believed that by getting close to this guy, that it was going to cause the accident," he said.

The sheriff renewed a plea for spectators to turn over photos and videos of the crash. Investigators were reconstructing the accident and looking into everything from the dim lighting on a portion of the track to how muddy it was, as well as if Ward's dark firesuit played a role in his death, given the conditions.

Driver Cory Sparks, a friend of Ward's, was a few cars back when Ward was killed.

"The timing was unsafe," he said of Ward's decision to get out of his car to confront Stewart. "When your adrenaline is going, and you're taken out of a race, your emotions flare."

It's often just a part of racing. Drivers from mild-mannered Jeff Gordon to ladylike Danica Patrick have erupted in anger on the track at another driver. The confrontations are part of the sport's allure: Fans love it and cheer wildly from the stands. Stewart, who has a reputation for being a hothead nicknamed "Smoke," once wound up like a pitcher and tossed his helmet like a fastball at Matt Kenseth's windshield.

"I've seen it many times in NASCAR, where a driver will confront the other one, and a lot of times they'll try to speed past them. And that's what it appeared to me as if what Tony Stewart did, he tried to speed past Ward," witness Michael Messerly said. "And the next thing I could see, I didn't see Ward any more. It just seemed like he was suddenly gone."

The crash also raised questions about whether Stewart will continue with his hobby of racing on small tracks on the side of the big-money NASCAR races. He has long defended his participation in racing on tracks like the one where the crash happened, even as accidents and injury have put his day job in NASCAR at risk.

www.yahoo.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
The cops aren't gonna be listening to the track noise. They are going to be listening to the communications between Tony and his team to see if Tony said anything like "I'm gonna give this kid a thrill when I pass him"

They might even be able to grab telemetry data

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 12:44 AM)
Pure speculation on your part rightnow that Stewart was pissed off here.

Maybe Stewart did it on purpose, maybe Stewart was just trying to scare him or maybe it was just a freak accident but the other driver is a f***ing moron for putting himself and Stewart in this situation.

This

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
One thing mentioned in my morning paper is that in this type of racing when there is a confrontation like this it isn't atypical for the driver still in the car to accelerate in order to speed away from the brewing confrontation.

And to ride high on the track in the direction of the confrontation during a caution?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)
And to ride high on the track in the direction of the confrontation during a caution?

It's pretty difficult to make any judgments about the line he took without seeing what might have been in front of him coming into the frame of the video...who knows if he was trying to avoid other traffic that had slowed as a result of the accident and the yellow caution or not.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 08:11 PM)

You have no idea how high he was in relation to other drivers from that camera view. You only know that he was very slightly higher than the car immediately before him, and that his rear back right tire hit the victim.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)

If you back up the video, you see the very first car go by as the kid is walking out of his car comes out of the turn MUCH higher in the turn than Stewart does. There is a pretty good chance that if the kid was 5 seconds quicker into traffic, he would have hit him.

The car is front of Stewart is much lower, but he is also going much slower.

I still think the fishtale was result of the guy being trapped under a tire and forcing the car sideways. I sure can't tell that he went high just from that quick camera shot. As soon as his car comes into view, he's pretty much already hit the kid.

What does all of that mean? I have no idea. Unless there is access to more angles of TV feed on the track, it is hard to say definitively what exactly happened. The field of view is SO narrow. The audio will betray you because of the amount of ambient noise at a race track. You are literally picking up noise from the entire track with that mic.

From what I see in that video, the truth could literally be anything from a complete accident to completely on purpose. That video shows so little.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
Put me in the camp that wonders what the hell that moron is doing walking around on the track while the race is ongoing. Nothing good comes from that. A tragedy, but a tragedy that was entirely avoidable.

That kind of stuff happens on dirt tracks all the time. It's even common at Bristol.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 09:07 PM)
Gimme a break, bottom line is if the guy doesn't get out of his car and walk almost to the middle of an ACTIVE RACE no one is dead right now.

I'm with this. Cars lose control all the time. The prick shouldn't have been walking angrily toward a vehicle going at such a rate on a f***ing dirt track. Natural selection's a b****.

It is strange it was Stewart who hit him and not the others that apparently saw him. Stewart has walked on a track befor, himself, even throwing his helmet at a car.

I don't think he tried to hit the kid, but scare him, most definitely. The guy belongs in jail, and the deceased's family should get some of his $70 million bank.

It was a dick move gone bad.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
It is strange it was Stewart who hit him and not the others that apparently saw him. Stewart has walked on a track befor, himself, even throwing his helmet at a car.

I don't think he tried to hit the kid, but scare him, most definitely. The guy belongs in jail, and the deceased's family should get some of his $70 million bank.

He wasn't walking angrily directly toward anyone else's car...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 10:01 PM)

I'm sorry, but in the video, the victim starts off fairly high in the track and then runs to about the middle of the lane. There was only 1 other vehicle that was in a similar position to Stewart, and it looked like it barely missed the victim as well.

What happens if Stewart veers out of the way of this dude walking on the track and rolls his own car and gets seriously injured or dies? Or hits another car and someone else gets hurt or dies.

Ultimately, you can look back and say "But for this guy taking the extremely reckless measure of exiting his car and walking on a dirt race track in the middle of a race, none of this likely happens."

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
I'm sorry, but in the video, the victim starts off fairly high in the track and then runs to about the middle of the lane. There was only 1 other vehicle that was in a similar position to Stewart, and it looked like it barely missed the victim as well.

And, again, the very first car going by is in such a high slot, that if the kid was about five seconds quicker, it would have hit him.