8/10 Games

GGajewski18

I understand that it is totally foolish, but I haven't 100% given up on Mitchell yet. He is striking out less. If he puts the ball in play, he has a chance of being a DeAza type with better defense. Still not worth drafting ahead of Trout, but not a release candidate right now IMHO.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
Is Miguel Gonzalez much of a prospect? I know he's rated as the best defensive catcher in the system and in triple A while only 23. Whats the profile on him?

His OPS above rookie ball is about .600. He's never been used as a full-time starter even in the minors. If we had a team that didn't need offense maybe we wouldn't care about our backup catcher hitting under .200. Solid in the run game.

QUOTE (Timmy U @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
I understand that it is totally foolish, but I haven't 100% given up on Mitchell yet. He is striking out less. If he puts the ball in play, he has a chance of being a DeAza type with better defense. Still not worth drafting ahead of Trout, but not a release candidate right now IMHO.

It's not foolish. Hopefully, he's starting to figure things out and finally bringing it all together.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
Charlotte lineup making a really tough pitcher in Henry Owens work really hard.

100 pitches thru 5 for Owens. Good to see that Charlotte line up have success against one of the top prospects in the game.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
It's not foolish. Hopefully, he's starting to figure things out and finally bringing it all together.

And healthy.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)

He is a guy who has missed a ton of developmental time. He was a part time baseball player through college, then he had the catastrophic injury which basically cost him two years of developmental time.

I am not going to say it is happening for sure, but to say he is the typical 25 year old minor leaguer is not accurate.

QUOTE (Timmy U @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)

really?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 10:23 PM)
Sox drafted 23rd. Angels 24th. So 23 other teams made mistakes too.

Not exactly the same mistake; Sox only team to draft Mitchell instead of Trout. Some of the other 22 teams probably drafted a pretty good baseball player; Sox got a football player. Just meaningless hindsight blabber now. Mitchell looked pretty good for a year or two. It would be interesting to see those first round picks if you have the link.

Was Mitchell a surprise pick that year? Can't remember.