Ferguson Riots

Brian

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 31, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)
Meanwhile, the NYPD isn't exactly covering themselves in glory right now. From turning the funeral of a slain fellow officer into a petty protest to a work slowdown that's meant to demonstrate....something?, they're only making themselves look silly.

From the NYT

So, the city isn't falling apart yet, despite their being 90%+ fewer citations for pretty minor offenses. I don't know that this demonstrates what the police want it to demonstrate. The police have also said that they are not making arrests unless absolutely necessary; uh, shouldn't that be the case always, that you don't make unnecessary arrests? And all this because what appears to be a majority of the NYPD perceives protests and rallies over lack of accountability for specific cases of excessive use of force sometimes resulting in death as being "anti-police," and ending racial 'stop-and-frisk' as being "anti-police." DeBlasio even supports the "broken windows" policing that the NYPD wants.

And this follows on the heels of this admission from an ongoing corruption investigation into the NYPD drug units: We fabricated drug charges against innocent people to meet arrest quotas, former detective testifies

I'll never defend planting drugs on anyone, so let me get that out of the way right now.

As to the bold, there are a million different incidents where you probably should make an arrest, but you aren't 100% obligated to do so. I'm sure those are what they're talking about. I don't mean to be condescending, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

And I'm guessing the drop in tickets isn't meant to do much more than hurt the city's revenue.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, the NYPD isn't exactly covering themselves in glory right now. From turning the funeral of a slain fellow officer into a petty protest to a work slowdown that's meant to demonstrate....something?, they're only making themselves look silly.

From the NYT

So, the city isn't falling apart yet, despite their being 90%+ fewer citations for pretty minor offenses. I don't know that this demonstrates what the police want it to demonstrate. The police have also said that they are not making arrests unless absolutely necessary; uh, shouldn't that be the case always, that you don't make unnecessary arrests? And all this because what appears to be a majority of the NYPD perceives protests and rallies over lack of accountability for specific cases of excessive use of force sometimes resulting in death as being "anti-police," and ending racial 'stop-and-frisk' as being "anti-police." DeBlasio even supports the "broken windows" policing that the NYPD wants.

And this follows on the heels of this admission from an ongoing corruption investigation into the NYPD drug units: We fabricated drug charges against innocent people to meet arrest quotas, former detective testifies

Soooo, here is a crisis that SHOULD have gone to waste? Come on. If it would have somehow benefited a Democrat you would have had zero problems with police turning their backs. Hell the whole Democratic party turned a funeral in Minnesota into a huge campaign event. Don't remember any talk of that being bad by the left.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 31, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
As to the bold, there are a million different incidents where you probably should make an arrest, but you aren't 100% obligated to do so. I'm sure those are what they're talking about. I don't mean to be condescending, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

I understand what you're saying, but this is a political battle they're trying to fight and phrasing is important. My point there was more that the police aren't exactly making a strong case to the public here.

And I'm guessing the drop in tickets isn't meant to do much more than hurt the city's revenue.

Sure, but again it's a political fight. If you stop making all of these really low-level arrests and citations and things don't fall apart, maybe people will end up seeing the police as less necessary than they did before, hurting the police position.

On the flip side, if there is a spike in crime in the coming weeks, wouldn't the police have "blood on their hands" for refusing to do their jobs?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 31, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
Soooo, here is a crisis that SHOULD have gone to waste? Come on.

Yes, it should have been "wasted" instead of turning the officer's funeral into a political stunt over a bunch of petty grievances or flat out bizarre interpretations of others' actions. One of their main whines is that De Blasio is concerned for his black son.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 31, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
Yes, it should have been "wasted" instead of turning the officer's funeral into a political stunt over a bunch of petty grievances or flat out bizarre interpretations of others' actions. One of their main whines is that De Blasio is concerned for his black son.

What their gripe is shouldn't matter, a police officer's funeral was a terrible place for that stunt. Boo him at the graduation thing that happened this week, that's fine. The best way to show that a person really didn't care at all about the deceased officer was to make his funeral not about him and that's exactly what happened.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
What their gripe is shouldn't matter, a police officer's funeral was a terrible place for that stunt. Boo him at the graduation thing that happened this week, that's fine. The best way to show that a person really didn't care at all about the deceased officer was to make his funeral not about him and that's exactly what happened.

In turning their backs on De Blasio, they also turned their backs on the officer's family.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 31, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
I understand what you're saying, but this is a political battle they're trying to fight and phrasing is important. My point there was more that the police aren't exactly making a strong case to the public here.

Sure, but again it's a political fight. If you stop making all of these really low-level arrests and citations and things don't fall apart, maybe people will end up seeing the police as less necessary than they did before, hurting the police position.

On the flip side, if there is a spike in crime in the coming weeks, wouldn't the police have "blood on their hands" for refusing to do their jobs?

Welcome to the life of a cop. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Maybe fewer, but more professional police is the answer and the NYPD is offering to be the experiment.

My view is they basically are giving a giant f*** you not only to the Mayor, but to all the citizens thus confirming their police before the public view that some people already had.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 07:31 AM)
Maybe fewer, but more professional police is the answer and the NYPD is offering to be the experiment.

My view is they basically are giving a giant f*** you not only to the Mayor, but to all the citizens thus confirming their police before the public view that some people already had.

It's hard to get "professional" anything when states continue to lower the bar as to what requirements are necessary to perform these jobs because of quota based hiring practices.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 1, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)
um... you're not damned if you do your job correctly...

For most jobs, yes, not that one.

You realize you can file a grievance/complaint against any police officer, for any reason you'd like, at any time you'd like? You probably didn't realize that, but you can, and it happens to them A LOT, whether they do their jobs properly or not. And no, the city doesn't just ignore these complaints.

The types of people they tend to deal with on a daily basis aren't the types of people we get to deal with on a daily basis, and those types of people tend to file complaints because they're mad the police don't allow them to break laws willy nilly like they'd prefer.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 07:36 AM)
It's hard to get "professional" anything when states continue to lower the bar as to what requirements are necessary to perform these jobs because of quota based hiring practices.

Or to attract candidates to work in some locals. The choice starting out seems to be low paying jobs in low crime areas or low paying jobs in high crime areas. The best police eventually are promoted to jobs where they see the least amount of crime. That may be the biggest recipe for problems.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 07:55 AM)
Or to attract candidates to work in some locals. The choice starting out seems to be low paying jobs in low crime areas or low paying jobs in high crime areas. The best police eventually are promoted to jobs where they see the least amount of crime. That may be the biggest recipe for problems.

When it comes to a lot of government jobs, how long you've worked there also tends to have this same effect.

Doesn't matter that you're very mediocre at your job, or the least productive so long as your productive enough, if you've been there for 20 years you get the better vacation days, the better pay, the better hours, etc.

I think it was a brave and needed gesture by the NYPD. De Blasio's reckless rhetoric and actions have lead to an environment where many people think shooting these two police officers is justified. Of course now he is backtracking.

So, the city isn't falling apart yet, despite their being 90%+ fewer citations for pretty minor offenses. I don't know that this demonstrates what the police want it to demonstrate.

I think it's a solid protest move. The city is sure losing a lot of revenue among other things. And low and behold De Blasio has sure changed his tune.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
Plus...poor people being hassled by the police and used as a revenue source for cities that don't want to raise taxes on the important people is a significant piece of the problem anyway!

some of the revenue raising stuff, like speed cameras that ding you with $100 ticket for going 5 over the limit, are ridiculous.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)
How dare you attempt to justify breaking the law.

Normally, I'd agree with your sarcasm here, being that I'm a law abiding citizen, but what they're doing with these cameras is very grey area. For starters, they lack due process, which we're supposed to be guaranteed. Secondly, they're tinkering with how long yellows last (it's supposed to be based on the area speed limit, but Rham has most -- if not all of them -- set to the lowest allowed 3 seconds. Then, they're often tinkering with the allowed speed limits (setting them artificially low, knowing people will speed out of exasperation or simply not realizing the speed limit dropped from 30 to 25 for a few blocks for no reason).

These cameras need to go away, as for all their bulls*** reasons, the only real reason is revenue without having to pay police or anyone else to write them tickets.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 06:00 PM)
Normally, I'd agree with your sarcasm here, being that I'm a law abiding citizen, but what they're doing with these cameras is very grey area. For starters, they lack due process, which we're supposed to be guaranteed. Secondly, they're tinkering with how long yellows last (it's supposed to be based on the area speed limit, but Rham has most -- if not all of them -- set to the lowest allowed 3 seconds. Then, they're often tinkering with the allowed speed limits (setting them artificially low, knowing people will speed out of exasperation or simply not realizing the speed limit dropped from 30 to 25 for a few blocks for no reason).

These cameras need to go away, as for all their bulls*** reasons, the only real reason is revenue without having to pay police or anyone else to write them tickets.

So how about you apply that standard to whether or not a guy should be put in a chokehold for selling loose cigarettes?